Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke and broken

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Broke and broken

When I read the article on Facebook, I wept.

Darryl Talley was one of my all time favorite Bills. I have his authentic, autographed game jersey personally signed.

I wish there were something I could do except for write the NFL and the Buffalo Bills organization.

2. Post thanked by:

ckg927 (11-28-2014),coastal (11-27-2014),jlgarsh (12-01-2014),Mace (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Redneck tears are tainted with entrails of roadkill.

4. Post thanked by:

Meathead (11-27-2014),pmoon6 (11-27-2014)

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus can give him hope.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

6. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-27-2014),Novacane (11-28-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    .How anyone can make that kind of money and end up having his home foreclosed on is mind-numbing. Yes, the NFL could steer these guys to better financial advice.
    Agree with that to an extent, but remember, Talley played in the era before stupid money kicked in. Yes, he had more than enough not to have lost his house, but we don't know, maybe he had to take out other mortgages to pay for huge medical bills.

Still, you make a good point that had crossed my mind as well, he should have owned his home outright long before this ever became a problem. Still, that's not really the issue here.

“This is not what he signed up for,” Gabrielle Talley said. “My dad is one of the toughest people you’d ever meet. He’d walk through a wall for you.

“But nobody would sign up to put their brain and their body through that if they knew what the risks were.”
    The NFL has swept this **** under the rug for decades.

“It’s the NFL culture. As much as I resent my dad for not having his own well-being in mind when he played, that’s what medical professionals are there for. Trainers and doctors went to school for that, to be the responsible voice of reason.”
    Bull****! Those medical professionals serve the NFL first, the players, the NFL's "property," second.

The ones getting screwed in this are the players that played during Talley's time and before. Now they get stupid money and know what they're up against for the long haul and have a certain amount of support on top of that all. The former players that made the NFL what it is today haven't gotten **** relatively speaking. I forget which former player football commentator it is that said he wouldn't let his son play pro football for this very reason.

The economy ravaged Sentry Barricades in 2008. Some clients went bankrupt. Not only did those contracts evaporate, but so too did the money they owed Talley’s company.

Janine Talley said he tapped his 401k and bought out his NFL pension at 25 percent value to salvage Sentry Barricades, but they still couldn’t honor their vendors or make payroll.
    The economy ravaged a lot of businesses from 2008-2010 and even since then. While sympathetic, it doesn't seem like the loss of business had much to do with this, it sounds as if it was more economic circumstances. Sometimes you just have to know when to hang up one business and start another. That's usually when you're confronted with cleaning out your retirement accounts and college funds.

What's disturbing is the accounts in the piece of the team's positions, like Wilson supposedly telling Talley that the team doesn't hire former players to coach while they did so with Van Pelt, of all players and a backup, and Metz.

It's a rough business but it is a business first. Anyone not thinking that isn't considering the bigger picture.

Talley is one of my top-2 all-time favorite Bills players. He should have made the Pro-Bowl more than twice and probably should have had All-Pro honors at least once.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,897 Times in 4,357 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

What's disturbing is the accounts in the piece of the team's positions, like Wilson supposedly telling Talley that the team doesn't hire former players to coach while they did so with Van Pelt, of all players and a backup, and Metz.
    Could this be racism?

The Talleys couldn’t afford to attend Reed’s induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last August. Just as Smith, Thomas and Bennett helped with the rent and some of Gabrielle’s college, they picked up the tab to get the Talleys there.

Smith is paying for the Talleys’ health insurance through the Affordable Care Act.

Obamacare sucks.
    One would think that the NFL would offer health insurance to former players.
    Maybe that's something the Players union should be fighting for.

9. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Add Talley to a long and ever growing of former players battling life after football that includes debilitating pain, addiction, financial issues, brain trauma, and mental issues. Sadly that list is and will continue to be largely ignored as those players are no longer of use to the NFL machine.

When my wife and I have kids, and if they are boys, I don't think that right now I'd let them play football. I know that's the popular thing to say considering LeBron just said the same thing but this article and the hundreds of others just don't make the risk worth the possible award.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

11. Post thanked by:

Fletch (11-27-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    When my wife and I have kids, and if they are boys, I don't think that right now I'd let them play football. I know that's the popular thing to say considering LeBron just said the same thing but this article and the hundreds of others just don't make the risk worth the possible award.
    But if they're girls, like Mangold's sister, you'll let 'em play.

LOL

JK obviously.

I hear ya, it really isn't worth the risks now that they've been known. Down the road, when the current actives retire, there won't be this sympathy due to the obscene money they make. There's definitely less sympathy for players that once made multiple millions per season for years translating to many times the median American career earnings, but are now broke, no short list.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Add Talley to a long and ever growing of former players battling life after football that includes debilitating pain, addiction, financial issues, brain trauma, and mental issues. Sadly that list is and will continue to be largely ignored as those players are no longer of use to the NFL machine.

Well, considering their genetics, they probably won't have the ability. Then again, brain trauma wouldn't be an issue either.

14. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (11-27-2014),IlluminatusUIUC (11-27-2014),jlgarsh (12-01-2014),OpIv37 (11-27-2014),TacklingDummy (11-27-2014)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,897 Times in 4,357 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Well, considering their genetics, they probably won't have the ability. Then again, brain trauma wouldn't be an issue either.
    If I had to bet on it, I'd bet they would play soccer.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,891 Times in 4,015 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My oldest has one year left before his career is done. He also knows that he's on a 1 and done rule. One concussion and its over. I've talked to his best friend's dad about it, and he said he's on the same rule. If it isn't worth it when you're going to make it to the NFL, it certainly isn't worth it when you're going to get no further than Div II or Div III ball.

There's a kid that was on his team, I've known him and his grandparents since about the 5th grade. The kid had 2 of them AND has a seizure disorder. He actually had a seizure during weight training last winter.

He was still playing in the fall despite 2 of them. The coach stopped playing him, and my son said it was subtle reference to his concussions. He ended up quitting and transferring.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Tis true.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    If I had to bet on it, I'd bet they would play soccer.
    I'd be fine with that, they can easily make more than the NFL and are far more popular on a worldwide scale.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    My oldest has one year left before his career is done. He also knows that he's on a 1 and done rule. One concussion and its over. I've talked to his best friend's dad about it, and he said he's on the same rule. If it isn't worth it when you're going to make it to the NFL, it certainly isn't worth it when you're going to get no further than Div II or Div III ball.

There's a kid that was on his team, I've known him and his grandparents since about the 5th grade. The kid had 2 of them AND has a seizure disorder. He actually had a seizure during weight training last winter.

He was still playing in the fall despite 2 of them. The coach stopped playing him, and my son said it was subtle reference to his concussions. He ended up quitting and transferring.
    Seems like a good rule to have.

For the record I think I'd have a similar rule about my kid if he was a baseball pitcher and got an arm injury. I know a family in my neighborhood who has a HS aged son (I think he's a junior). He's been throwing breaking balls since he was about 10 and had two arm procedures including a Tommy John. He's out back everyday throwing getting ready for this spring's season. His Dad is just convinced he's going to be the next big things because he's played travel or select level ball and their have been scouts at the games, but he never mentions who they are there to see.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd be fine with that, they can easily make more than the NFL and are far more popular on a worldwide scale.
    Soccer has it's own concussion problems too. I wouldn't say they are on par with football, but it's coming to light.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Could this be racism?

The Talleys couldn’t afford to attend Reed’s induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last August. Just as Smith, Thomas and Bennett helped with the rent and some of Gabrielle’s college, they picked up the tab to get the Talleys there.

Smith is paying for the Talleys’ health insurance through the Affordable Care Act.

Obamacare sucks.
    One would think that the NFL would offer health insurance to former players.
    Maybe that's something the Players union should be fighting for.
    You can say it sucks, but without it he likely would not have ANY insurance at all
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

22. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    That brings up another good point, the pressure to win and start and all that, a lot of these youngster are taking all kind of PEDs that aren't nearly as pratrolled at those lower levels. I'm sure we'll start reading about the effects of those drugs in about another 10 years or so.

Sports has gotten out of control imo. Instead of just being a pastime and activity there's an enormous overemphasis on winning, an unhealthy one.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good this is getting national attention already. USAtoday...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...sion/19575589/

26. Post thanked by:

coastal (11-27-2014),Dr. Lecter (11-27-2014),jlgarsh (12-01-2014),Mace (11-28-2014)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Redneck tears are tainted with entrails of roadkill.
    and forty percent jack daniels
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    and forty percent jack daniels
    Alcohol has not entered my body since last Christmas, unless you count the Morellino di Scansano that I use in my Sunday gravy. (Tomato sauce for you Southern folks) or other wines that I cook with.

29. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-01-2014),Meathead (11-27-2014)