Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bills fans raise money for Talley

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills fans raise money for Talley

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Well, if you reason it out and consider it, we cheered and paid for his eventual physical ruin though. I'm not sure how many people can point to the homeless and say with certainty, I cheered and paid for him to end up that way, and admired how he went about it.
    How many of you forced him to take the field?

Carpenters ruin their bodies as well.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post

Yeah, I don't buy that. I just don't. I've done labor work, I've done skilled work, I've done educated work, I've damaged myself plenty, mostly when I ignored OSHA or employer regs, none of it required me to hit people like pro football players do as a measure of job performance.

If you're going to pretend speaking for the poor common working man, then ante up on how carpenters are expected to smack wood with their heads and shoulders weekly with people cheering for them and their violence in how well they do it defining them.

Ante up or sit down and be quiet. This is the world we encourage and help make. Deal with facing the results.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,487 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tim Graham of the News just updated the story....

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11...-display-love/
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's great to be the devil's advocate, but not this time.

This situation is not the right context to be comparing professions because there is no comparison.

Darryl Talley had a profession that 99.9% of people don't have. He sacrificed his body and mind in a physical way that is not comparable to the average American worker. He laid it all on the line every Sunday, not for himself, but for the fans of the city he loved and played for.

Darryl Talley is a great warrior. He literally fought for Buffalo like a super hero, and entertained Bills fans for many years.

It's time to give back. Simple as that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Yeah, I don't buy that. I just don't. I've done labor work, I've done skilled work, I've done educated work, I've damaged myself plenty, mostly when I ignored OSHA or employer regs, none of it required me to hit people like pro football players do as a measure of job performance.

If you're going to pretend speaking for the poor common working man, then ante up on how carpenters are expected to smack wood with their heads and shoulders weekly with people cheering for them and their violence in how well they do it defining them.

Ante up or sit down and be quiet. This is the world we encourage and help make. Deal with facing the results.
    It's a game that no one forces you to play, They are not gladiators and we are not in ancient Rome.

It's all good to donate away, But to feel you owe a rich guy who played a game is a bit weird.

6. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (11-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    It's great to be the devil's advocate, but not this time.

This situation is not the right context to be comparing professions because there is no comparison.

Darryl Talley had a profession that 99.9% of people don't have. He sacrificed his body and mind in a physical way that is not comparable to the average American worker. He laid it all on the line every Sunday, not for himself, but for the fans of the city he loved and played for.

Darryl Talley is a great warrior. He literally fought for Buffalo like a super hero, and entertained Bills fans for many years.

It's time to give back. Simple as that.
    Was he paid to do it?

Or did you guys force him to and now that he's doing bad you feel guilty?

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Not that I don't feel deeply for Talley and think the NFL does not properly care for former players, but I couldn't donate to him while there are people freezing to death and starving on the streets.

The idea that Talley, because he is a celebrity that many of us admire, is more worthy a donation than a guy living in a cardboard box or a single parent struggling to feed children bothers me.
    I agree..but I think we can have it both ways. It's all a matter of choices and to what degree people wish to focus.

This is where I've spent many a Friday night, working with fellow church members. Makes one appreciate the little things.

http://www.friendsofnightpeople.org/

Today we host a monthly community dinner at our church hall for the neighborhood folks and the less fortunate ( Tonawanda). The women cooked 5 turkeys yesterday and all the sides will be prepared today. Tables all set for 100 to be seated. That's where a lot of our $$ goes and it's very important to us.

Some don't have that part in their lives and wish to make a donation to Talley in the spirit of the season. That's OK too..because it's a good step towards something maybe bigger down the road.

Talley may be lifted out of a bad place to a degree and give his family some calm moments.

Plus the people making the donation may realize there's even more to do in this world. The reward of helping others who are struggling or less fortunate is basically second to none.
    Last edited by Night Train; 11-29-2014 at 06:36 AM.

9. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (11-29-2014)

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No one is forcing anyone to give or donate. There's zero guilt if you give or don't give. But feel free to stfu about over analyzing it.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

11. Post thanked by:

Gilly (11-29-2014)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,070 Times in 15,283 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I always wondered why this stuff only happens to football players.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why would people criticize this?

I will give my money to whoever and whatever the **** I want. My business.

(caveat I didn't give to this cause but if I want to I will)

14. Post thanked by:

imbondz (11-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    No one is forcing anyone to give or donate. There's zero guilt if you give or don't give. But feel free to stfu about over analyzing it.
    Go ask your imaginary friend for some blessings.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
    Why would people criticize this?

I will give my money to whoever and whatever the **** I want. My business.

(caveat I didn't give to this cause but if I want to I will)
    The money angle is of no concern to me, Do what ever the hell you want with it when ever you want..

The part I find strange, People feeling like they somehow owe him something because he let them watch him play a game.

When I first heard this story, It was made to sound like he's living in a shack getting hassled by Giants and Cowboy fans.

In fact, He still has a really nice house, Really nice clothes, Really nice items in his house, Nice cars..

His version of broke is much-much different than the average mans..

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    Yeah Lecter

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Not that I don't feel deeply for Talley and think the NFL does not properly care for former players, but I couldn't donate to him while there are people freezing to death and starving on the streets.

The idea that Talley, because he is a celebrity that many of us admire, is more worthy a donation than a guy living in a cardboard box or a single parent struggling to feed children bothers me.
    Bravo.

I feel the same. No matter how dire your circumstances are, there are many people who are far worse off.

Even though my heart goes out to Darryl and will write the NFLPA, the team, and the NFL, they should be the ones helping him. He helped make them millions and now they are turning their back, just as they have with so many former players.

I give my time and money to help people in my community who are down on their luck. I think that is the only way you can help people and help yourself at the same time. I guess that makes me a communist.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,863 Times in 4,339 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I can't give money to someone who had the world by the balls, was rich, and then blew it. While 99.9% of the country will never have what he blew.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's a game that no one forces you to play, They are not gladiators and we are not in ancient Rome.

It's all good to donate away, But to feel you owe a rich guy who played a game is a bit weird.
    I think you're missing things that cripple your arguments. He's not rich, he lost his "big bucks" running a street barrier business that went down in the recession and he tried to save by selling his NFL 401k early for 1/4 value, so he could try and save the business and pay his vendors and 17 employees.

They really were gladiators, none of us had a clue about long term effects back then.

It's a bit weird if you are pretending you did, and that you paid no attention to the details of the story.

"They must all be rich, and I'm not so it's their fault they're a mess."

You either celebrated his tough, wished you had some of it or the chance to show it, cheered him, or read about it if you're too young.

This is how it turns out, just deal with it.

By and large, I think anyone with a clue who saw him play, really gets it, even if you don't and would relish the opportunity to be in debt with scrambled brains unable to sit, stand or lay in bed all night to sleep, for the chance to hear people cheer you and the money to run a business that trashes in a recession and pay your employees.

If you really even read the article, and I don't think you did because you're oblivious to the details, try and say something relevant.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Unfortunately, no amount of money is going to solve Darryl's problems.

$100k isn't going to sustain his gated community lifestyle forever. And when the money runs out, he still won't have the ability to take care of himself or his family.

The gofundme campaign makes donors feel better, but ultimately does nothing. His brain is not going to get better.

The long term fix is for the NFL to do something to prevent and address brain trauma, but sadly that won't help #56.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RandolphDuke View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of money is going to solve Darryl's problems.

$100k isn't going to sustain his gated community lifestyle forever. And when the money runs out, he still won't have the ability to take care of himself or his family.

The gofundme campaign makes donors feel better, but ultimately does nothing. His brain is not going to get better.

The long term fix is for the NFL to do something to prevent and address brain trauma, but sadly that won't help #56.
    Unfortunately you are right. He's not even sustaining his lifestyle, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas and Cornelius Bennett are.

Strikes me as sad people cannot deal with the results of what they embrace.

People say it's someone elses fault, like Talley's and whine that people say it's someone elses fault, not theirs for embracing the sport.

Ouch, it's sooooo hard to be accountable and responsible for something everyone else must have done while you did too.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

you guys didn't bother to read the story did you?

talley saved and invested his money from football smartly. eventually he bought a construction company that had 17 employees. when the economy crashed in 2008 his business started to go under. at that time he cashed in his pension at .25 on the dollar in order to keep the company afloat and his employees employed. he then went into debt trying to keep the business going. eventually despite his efforts the company folded, and burdened by crushing debt he lost his home, could no longer pay his daughter's college tuitions, and basically ended up destitute. his credit is so bad he couldn't even afford the down payment on the home he currently lives in (3 months rent) ~ Biscuit helped him cover it.

he gets a medical benefit of 36k a year, most of which goes to cover his debts and bills and medical costs. He's physically incapable of working, and mentally he's breaking down.

I don't see the harm in helping him out. it's not like the $$ i gave him came out of some other charitable giving i was doing this year. i'll still give the same $$ to the same charities i suport, i spend more $$ on stupid xmas gifts people will throw out in a year anyway. I get some of you might think he's unworthy of support. that's fine, i'm not here to convince you to give him money. I'd just like to think better of bills fans on the whole... the least you could do is keep him and his family in your prayers. It's not like Talley asked for money (he didn't), heck he probably won't accept the cash that was raised. This isn't what this is about. This is about symbolically supporting one of buffalo's biggest fans when he needs love and support. No one around here had issues with sending love and prayers to jimbo when he was struggling, not sure why DT gets so much hate when he's struggling with his own issues.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

24. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-30-2014),ckg927 (11-30-2014),cookie G (11-30-2014),Fletch (11-30-2014),Luisito23 (11-30-2014),Yasgur's Farm (11-30-2014)

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

up to $120,000 cool.

26. Post thanked by:

Night Train (11-30-2014),Yasgur's Farm (11-30-2014)