• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Does Spiller play Sunday?

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    Might as well.

I'm as big a critic of CJ as anybody and feel he is way over-rated, but if he's anywhere near healthy the team is at the point where one or two big plays over the next two games could make a huge difference in how the season ends up.
    I say keep him on the sideline as don't want him getting re-injured as I think we can beat the Raiders without Spiller. Though in Week 17 I think it's best to have as many weapons as we can against the Patriots.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they just said on the local sports that he was going to be activated, but I just caught a snippet passing through.
    I think they mean activated in terms of on the roster he still could get scratched come game day.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Spiller's fresh legs are exactly what the Bills offense needs right now. Just at the right time.

If defenses respect his ability to score on any given play, that could help open up the passing game.

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

I'm as big a critic of CJ as anybody and feel he is way over-rated
        Why?

The guy has averaged FIVE yards-per-carry throughout his career.

Is that not good enough for ya?

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
          Why?

The guy has averaged FIVE yards-per-carry throughout his career.

Is that not good enough for ya?
          No, it isn't, when broken down it's usually 11 carries for 13 yards and one for 47. He also still can't block or pick up blitzes.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

We need to activate CJ so he can get stuffed for 2 yard losses up the middle.

Don't miss him...good luck on your new team.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              • May 2009

Originally posted by streetkings01 View Post
              If he's taken off of IRDR does he get thrown into the rotation this Sunday? Wouldn't make sense to take him off and then keep him inactive for the next 2 weeks.
              I hope not because he ****ing sucks.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

No, it isn't, when broken down it's usually 11 carries for 13 yards and one for 47. He also still can't block or pick up blitzes.
                Fred Jackson is one of the better blocking RBs in the league...are you comparing Spiller to him?

Also, they are running Spiller straight up into the line more now that they have hefty mauler-type players on the o-line. Not exactly Spiller's forte.

Anyway, what you describe can apply equally to Barry Sanders. He'd lose yardage quite a bit, then break one. And no, I'm not calling Spiller Sanders. When you are averaging 5 yards-per-carry over time, you are doing something right beyond any shadow of a doubt. Spiller isn't an every down back, but he's a dynamic playmaker. Amazing to me how so many Bills fans want to put him down. He's worthwhile.
                Last edited by feldspar; 12-15-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

i dont understand the hate for spiller.

i would NEVER draft a rb in the first round and i was furious when we drafted him. but its not his fault

however he;s a very talented back that hasnt been used properly throughout his bills career. except for 2012

i pray he can play the next 2 weeks hes an explosive play waiting to happen at any time he touches the ball. the bills have been missing the big play for several weeks besides games vs the jets

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                    chop chop
                    • Jun 2003

Activate him then save him for NE...we'll need every weapon in the arsenal for that game.
                    Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                      Fred Jackson is one of the better blocking RBs in the league...are you comparing Spiller to him?
                      I'm not comparing him to anybody, it's a job requirement skill that he's never been able to grasp...picking up blitzes.

Also, they are running Spiller straight up into the line more now that they have hefty mauler-type players on the o-line. Not exactly Spiller's forte.
                      Getting outside from the backfield is nobodies forte in today's NFL, the defenses are just too fast. Spiller's best season he did a lot of running between the tackles, and may hay by bursting through the hole and getting to the second level. It's the only time in his career he's displayed that ability. In the first couple of games this season, it looked like he was 'getting it' again, but quickly regressed to avoiding the hole and constantly trying to bounce outside.

Anyway, what you describe can apply equally to Barry Sanders. He'd lose yardage quite a bit, then break one. And no, I'm not calling Spiller Sanders. When you are averaging 5 yards-per-carry over time, you are doing something right beyond any shadow of a doubt. Spiller isn't an every down back, but he's a dynamic playmaker. Amazing to me how so many Bills fans want to put him down. He's worthwhile.
                      Yeah, not even in the same world, let alone zip code. Spiller isn't consistent enough with his 'dynamic play-making' to be considered a weapon...too many strikeouts, not nearly enough homeruns, or even triples or doubles.

All that being said, if you'll re-read my initial response I stated they should activate him and use him...even if the chances of his lightning striking are slim to none, now's the time to hope it can hit. The team needs an almost miracle to make the playoffs, might as well double down and hope CJ can help achieve it.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• GreedoII
                        • Aug 2007

The O sucked with Spiller so it won't matter...

Comment

• Ed
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
                          The O sucked with Spiller so it won't matter...
                          I don't know. Orton did play his best when Spiller was healthy. Maybe not related, but it certainly can't hurt to have him back.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
                            We need to activate CJ so he can get stuffed for 2 yard losses up the middle.

Don't miss him...good luck on your new team.
                            You do remember he got injured on a run that he broke a 53 yard run and he also had a kickoff return of 102 yards to help turn around the first game against Miami? The guy adds an element this team lacks which is explosiveness.

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

Activate Spiller sure why not.

Get him as many touches as he can handle.

If he rushes for 175 yards and 3 td's resign him.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Night Train
                                Retired - On Several Levels
                                • Jul 2005

Put him in motion several times and throw quick swing passes to him.

If he has some open space, he may bust one.
                                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                                X