X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buffalo News list trading for Sammy 16th worst mistake by Buffalo Sports team

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
    The point is we are looking at the Walker trade in hindsight. NFL sportwriters and the entire City Of Dallas thought it was a bad move.

Now, we have the same kind of people saying we ****ed up when the guy only has played 13 games.

I guess it's so some can say "I told you so" and pump their chest or in JoFo's case, play with his little winkie.
    No, they didn't. I lived in Dallas when that happened. The Cowboys were God awful. People were looking forward to a rebuild and shocked than any team would give up that many picks. This was an INSANE deal:

Players/Draft Picks Received by the Minnesota Vikings
    RB Herschel Walker
    Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
    San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
    Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
    Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Players/Draft Picks Received by the Dallas Cowboys
    LB Jesse Solomon
    LB David Howard
    CB Issiac Holt
    RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
    DE Alex Stewart
    Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
    Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
    Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
    Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
    Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
    Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
    Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
    Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[

You really can't compare this to anything. Not even the hindsight aspect of it. This was instantly shocking, and an obvious fleecing of Minnesota to anyone with a brain.

Dallas won 3 Super Bowls that day.

Comment

• streetkings01
      • Jul 2006

Re: Buffalo News list trading for Sammy 16th worst mistake by Buffalo Sports team

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      It was a huge risk and I think they overpaid for him but the 16th worst? It's way too soon to make that call.

More importantly, his team has made some epic bad moves. Off the top of my head:

1. Drafting Mike Williams
      2. Letting Polian go
      3. Drafting JP Losman
      4. Trading for Drew Bledsoe (not only did he fail but the picks helped the Pats kick our ass for over a decade)
      5. Bills in Toronto series
      6. Aaron Maybin
      7. Letting Antowain Winfield walk
      8. Letting Pat Williams walk.
      9. Letting London Fletcher walk.
      10. Trading up for McCargo
      11. Willis McGahee
      12. Trading Lynch
      13. Jauron
      14. Kevin Gilbride
      15. Gailey
      16. Hiring Levy as GM
      17. Russ Brandon (this probably should be #1)

That's 17 worse moves from the Bills from the last 14 years alone that are worse than Watkins. And that's not counting the Sabres, Bisons, or any other team.
      I'd put hiring Levy as GM in the top 5 since he's a big reason for #6,#9,#10 and #13.
      You can call me streetkings

Comment

• DesertFox24
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
        Yeah, having Beckham would be cool.
        Ok Captain Hindsight Beckham has a had a heck of a rookie year but there is no GM or draft follower that would have graded Beckham better than Sammy. And as I have said twice already in this thread to judge a player after one year is insane.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
          You think Mike Williams was a bigger bust than Al Cowlings?
          Walt Patulski

Comment

• pmoon6
            Legendary Zoner
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
            I know, right?

It's almost as original as "I'll still whoop your ass, Son" argument on the internet.
            Just stating facts, Boy.

Comment

• pmoon6
              Legendary Zoner
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
              No, they didn't. I lived in Dallas when that happened. The Cowboys were God awful. People were looking forward to a rebuild and shocked than any team would give up that many picks.
              Well, I lived in Houston at the time and worked for a Dallas company. The Cowboy fans I knew and talked to were puzzled and upset the team traded it's only bonefide star.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                Ok Captain Hindsight Beckham has a had a heck of a rookie year but there is no GM or draft follower that would have graded Beckham better than Sammy. And as I have said twice already in this thread to judge a player after one year is insane.
                It's ironic but on draft day I texted a buddy of mine that the one guy I didn't want us reaching for with pick 9 was Beckham as thought he was all hype. He's been good for the Giants but you have to wonder if he would still be if they still had a healthy Cruz.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                  • Aug 2013

It was an unnecessarily risky move but I'm over it. I'm not trying to poke holes in the plan of the GM who put together likely the first winning season in a decade, just after beating the best team in the league, while still in the running for a playoff spot.

Only Bills fans.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                    Escaped Convict
                    • Jul 2002

Well, I lived in Houston at the time and worked for a Dallas company. The Cowboy fans I knew and talked to were puzzled and upset the team traded it's only bonefide star.
                    I think you must have misunderstood them. Most people in Houston don't speak English.

Comment

• pmoon6
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                      I think you must have misunderstood them. Most people in Houston don't speak English.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

Just stating facts, Boy.
                        Haha, ok tough guy internet man.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

The pessimists on this board were expecting the Bills to win 3 or 4 games this year.

They expected the draft pick to be somewhere in the top 10.

It was still a lot to give up for Sammy, but the pick now looks to be 15 or lower.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                            Making Spirits Bright
                            • Mar 2006

Ok Captain Hindsight Beckham has a had a heck of a rookie year but there is no GM or draft follower that would have graded Beckham better than Sammy.
                            So? I don't really care what the draft gurus thought. Plus, I'm not even sure you're statement is true.

And as I have said twice already in this thread to judge a player after one year is insane.
                            No one is saying Sammy is a bad player. All I'm doing is saying there are comparable (better?) players we could have got that would have been significantly cheaper. Prices are supposed to go down in a saturated market, we somehow paid significantly more.

Judging a trade after one year is not insane.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                              • Jan 2003

it was a ton to give up for Sammy, but let's be honest here, the only reason the trade made it that high on the list was to generate talk. Most of the rest aren't in debate. Difficult to make that assessment in less than a season.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
                                it was a ton to give up for Sammy, but let's be honest here, the only reason the trade made it that high on the list was to generate talk. Most of the rest aren't in debate. Difficult to make that assessment in less than a season.
                                no no it's over terrible trade heard it from Joe Fo

Comment

Working...
                                X