Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Buffalo News list trading for Sammy 16th worst mistake by Buffalo Sports team

I cannot disagree with this decision to post this article enough. They claim Sammy is a great player with loads of potential but for a QB starved team they gave up a first rounder and cannot get one. Ok I will grant that maybe at the time of the draft this was a valid argument, but considering we are 8-6 and 8-8 at worst we will at worst be picking 16th???? There are no QBs that will last that far and no way any team in the top 5 trades down to 16 in this draft considering it is thought of to be weak compared to last years draft. Now we can argue the merits of Beckham and Evans and Benjamin but at this point neither rookie WR has proved to be consistent for multiple seasons. There have been several WRs to light it up year 1 to only fade away into oblivion.
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Buffalo News list trading for Sammy 16th worst mistake by Buffalo Sports team

watkins age, injuries, and lack of QB (regardless of who they put in), gives me hope that he will improve. i hear you though, he could go south, but the kid seems to have a work ethic, he makes good catches when passes are poorly thrown. it makes me believe he has more to offer than less.

i thought at the time it was a risky pick and too much to be given up. but it's nice to not completely blow a first round choice. and if it meant giving one up, it's ok.

the team really is built to win right now. no rookie qb is going to save this team. I could be wrong. they need to really scour the vets and see who is the best fit for what they plan to run next year. Foles/sanchez seems like the quickest fix. if it goes bad, the defense will be close to aging out and worth rebuilding all over again.

Comment

• WagonCircler
      Escaped Convict
      • Jul 2002

Re: Buffalo News list trading for Sammy 16th worst mistake by Buffalo Sports team

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
      Now we can argue the merits of Beckham and Evans and Benjamin but at this point neither rookie WR has proved to be consistent for multiple seasons. There have been several WRs to light it up year 1 to only fade away into oblivion.
      Is it really lost on you that the same could be said for Sammy?

Wow.

Just.

Wow.

Comment

• streetkings01
        • Jul 2006

I cannot disagree with this decision to post this article enough. They claim Sammy is a great player with loads of potential but for a QB starved team they gave up a first rounder and cannot get one. Ok I will grant that maybe at the time of the draft this was a valid argument, but considering we are 8-6 and 8-8 at worst we will at worst be picking 16th???? There are no QBs that will last that far and no way any team in the top 5 trades down to 16 in this draft considering it is thought of to be weak compared to last years draft. Now we can argue the merits of Beckham and Evans and Benjamin but at this point neither rookie WR has proved to be consistent for multiple seasons. There have been several WRs to light it up year 1 to only fade away into oblivion.
        Michael Clayton - 80rec 1193yds 7td his rookie year.......next 7 seasons - 143rec 1762yds 3td

Calvin Johnson - 48rec 756yds 4td his rookie year......next 7 seasons - 585rec 9507yds 68td

Bottom line.......year#1 means nothing in the NFL when it comes to WRs.
        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

As it stands right now, they overpaid for what appears to be a very good player.

If you argue that statement, you're fooling yourself. You can argue hindsight all you want, but there's no way you can tell me we didn't overpay. This team would be better with Beckham/Evans/Benjamin and our 1st and 4th pick next year.

You know who might be available in the 1st round when we would've had a draft pick next year? A decent friggin' guard.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
            As it stands right now, they overpaid for what appears to be a very good player.

If you argue that statement, you're fooling yourself. You can argue hindsight all you want, but there's no way you can tell me we didn't overpay. This team would be better with Beckham/Evans/Benjamin and our 1st and 4th pick next year.

You know who might be available in the 1st round when we would've had a draft pick next year? A decent friggin' guard.
            They will be able to get one of the top guards, maybe even the #1 center, where they are right now.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• k-oneputt
              • Jun 2009

Eric Moulds.

The genius people wanted him out of here after the first couple of years.

Sticking with the current team, wanted out, Dareus, Mario, Gilmore......

Comment

• k-oneputt
                • Jun 2009

Wait, how can I forget Aaron Williams. He's another wanted gone.

currently we are on Kujo, and Henderson

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                  watkins age, injuries, and lack of QB (regardless of who they put in), gives me hope that he will improve. i hear you though, he could go south, but the kid seems to have a work ethic, he makes good catches when passes are poorly thrown. it makes me believe he has more to offer than less.

i thought at the time it was a risky pick and too much to be given up. but it's nice to not completely blow a first round choice. and if it meant giving one up, it's ok.

the team really is built to win right now. no rookie qb is going to save this team. I could be wrong. they need to really scour the vets and see who is the best fit for what they plan to run next year. Foles/sanchez seems like the quickest fix. if it goes bad, the defense will be close to aging out and worth rebuilding all over again.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

aside from mario and kyle, they are young all over.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

I'd agree with you if we traded for Sammy and missed out the chance to draft the next Luck it was a horrible move but quite frankly none of the QBs in the draft grade out that well. It's been well documented that Kiper doesn't think Mariota is a franchise QB. The best QB arguably in the draft is Winston but with the new NFL conduct policy he is a major risk pick and doubt he'd fall to pick 17 where we'd be drafting as things today. That equate to losing out on WR Kevin White according to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/2015/all infact if look over that list you could debate that none of the guys around pick 17 paired with say Beckham or Benjamin would do a lot to significantly improve the team next year but could make the arguement if lost Hughes, Dupree wouldn't be a bad replacement. As it's also ironic but the News is reporting Sammy hasn't lived up to his draft billing as a top 4 pick which is true people over tend to over value the rate of return of rookies in their first year. Here's a list of guys taken 17th overall in the last 10 drafts and quite frankly of all them I can only find one that be a difference maker if they were on the Bills squad as a rookie. What say you?

1 17 17 C.J. Mosley Ravens LB Alabama
                    1 17 17 Jarvis Jones Steelers LB Georgia
                    1 17 17 Dre Kirkpatrick Bengals DB Alabama
                    1 17 17 Nate Solder Patriots T Colorado
                    1 17 17 Mike Iupati 49ers G Idaho
                    1 17 17 Josh Freeman Buccaneers QB Kansas State
                    1 17 17 Gosder Cherilus Lions T Boston College
                    1 17 17 Jarvis Moss Broncos DE Florida
                    1 17 17 David Pollack Bengals DE Georgia
                    1 17 17 D.J. Williams Broncos LB Miami (FL)
                    Last edited by The Jokeman; 12-16-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

It was a huge risk and I think they overpaid for him but the 16th worst? It's way too soon to make that call.

More importantly, his team has made some epic bad moves. Off the top of my head:

1. Drafting Mike Williams
                      2. Letting Polian go
                      3. Drafting JP Losman
                      4. Trading for Drew Bledsoe (not only did he fail but the picks helped the Pats kick our ass for over a decade)
                      5. Bills in Toronto series
                      6. Aaron Maybin
                      7. Letting Antowain Winfield walk
                      8. Letting Pat Williams walk.
                      9. Letting London Fletcher walk.
                      10. Trading up for McCargo
                      11. Willis McGahee
                      12. Trading Lynch
                      13. Jauron
                      14. Kevin Gilbride
                      15. Gailey
                      16. Hiring Levy as GM
                      17. Russ Brandon (this probably should be #1)

That's 17 worse moves from the Bills from the last 14 years alone that are worse than Watkins. And that's not counting the Sabres, Bisons, or any other team.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by JohnnyGold View Post
                        whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

aside from mario and kyle, they are young all over.
                        Update it turns out we'd be pick #20 http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...-order-week-15. That equate to losing out on WR Jaelen Strong according to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/2015/all infact if look over that list you could debate that none of the guys around pick 20 paired with say Beckham or Benjamin would do a lot to significantly improve the team next year but could make the arguement if lost Hughes, Dupree who ranks the 18th best guy so he's within our pick range wouldn't be a bad replacement. Yet he's some recent pick 20s and I've bolded who I'd want if the draft were held today.

1 20 20 Brandin Cooks Saints WR Oregon State
                        1 20 20 Kyle Long Bears G Oregon
                        1 20 20 Kendall Wright Titans WR Baylor
                        1 20 20 Adrian Clayborn Buccaneers DE Iowa
                        1 20 20 Kareem Jackson Texans DB Alabama
                        1 20 20 Brandon Pettigrew Lions TE Oklahoma State
                        1 20 20 Aqib Talib Buccaneers DB Kansas
                        1 20 20 Aaron Ross Giants DB Texas
                        1 20 20 Tamba Hali Chiefs DE Penn State
                        1 20 20 Marcus Spears Cowboys DE Louisiana State
                        1 20 20 Kenechi Udeze Vikings DE USC
                        Last edited by The Jokeman; 12-16-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          It was a huge risk and I think they overpaid for him but the 16th worst? It's way too soon to make that call.

More importantly, his team has made some epic bad moves. Off the top of my head:

1. Drafting Mike Williams
                          2. Letting Polian go
                          3. Drafting JP Losman
                          4. Trading for Drew Bledsoe (not only did he fail but the picks helped the Pats kick our ass for over a decade)
                          5. Bills in Toronto series
                          6. Aaron Maybin
                          7. Letting Antowain Winfield walk
                          8. Letting Pat Williams walk.
                          9. Letting London Fletcher walk.
                          10. Trading up for McCargo
                          11. Willis McGahee
                          12. Trading Lynch
                          13. Jauron
                          14. Kevin Gilbride
                          15. Gailey
                          16. Hiring Levy as GM
                          17. Russ Brandon (this probably should be #1)

That's 17 worse moves from the Bills from the last 14 years alone that are worse than Watkins. And that's not counting the Sabres, Bisons, or any other team.
                          You think Mike Williams was a bigger bust than Al Cowlings?

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I don't think the Toronto series was a mistake, without it they probably wouldn't have had the cash to sign some of the FA's, or re-sign some of their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                            You think Mike Williams was a bigger bust than Al Cowlings?
                            He was specific re:the last 14 years.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              I don't think the Toronto series was a mistake, without it they probably wouldn't have had the cash to sign some of the FA's, or re-sign some of their own.

- - - Updated - - -

He was specific re:the last 14 years.
                              I didn't read the article but I agree with you the Sammy trade not even close.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍