Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Buffalo Bills Quarterback Situation

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The 2015 Buffalo Bills Quarterback Situation

If Kyle Orton wins the next two games, he will be the starter next year.

Even if Kyle Orton wins only 1 out of the next 2, he will be the starter next year.

There's no other option.

Would I rather have Eli Manning? Yes, but the Giants are not going to part ways with Manning for the same reason the Bills aren't going to part ways with Kyle Orton.

They have nobody else to replace him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...26/eli-manning

Would I rather have Jay Cutler? Yes, but the Bears are not going to part ways with Cutler for the same reason - there's no other better option.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...597/jay-cutler

Would I rather have Colin Kaepernick? No way.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...lin-kaepernick

The 2015 NFL draft has no elite quarterbacks, and Connor Cook said he's staying at MSU for his senior season.

The Bills are not drafting a quarterback in 2015, and they're not going to have any options in free agency.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2015-nfl-free-agents-list/

That being said, Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel will be the Bills quarterbacks next year.

If Kyle Orton had a full training camp and started the season in 2014, I think the Bills would be 10-4 and in the drivers seat instead of being 8-6.

Give EJ the chance to compete for the starting job, sign the best offensive lineman available in free agency, draft the best offensive lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, retain Schwartz no matter how much Terry Pegula has to pay him, and hire the best available offensive coordinator that can transform an offense like Mike Pettine and Jim Schwartz transformed the Bills defense.

The Bills are an expert offensive coordinator and 2 offensive lineman away from being one of the best teams in the league.

2. Post thanked by:

Don't Panic (12-16-2014),HHURRICANE (12-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The 2015 Buffalo Bills Quarterback Situation

My order in preference would be Eli, Orton, Cutler, Kaepernick, EJ and Cook. Yet I might rank Cook higher if he were to come out and did well at the combine. I've stated in other threads we could take a gamble on a QB in the 3rd day of the draft of 2015 and if had a choice it be on Chuckie Keeton.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 12-16-2014 at 06:46 PM.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't want Cutler. Biggest cancer in the NFL.

6. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-17-2014),Mr. Miyagi (12-16-2014),Night Train (12-17-2014),YardRat (12-16-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

PS Why doesn't anyone else want to focus on the glaring weakness we have at TE?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    My order in preference would be Eli, Orton, Cutler, Kaepernick, EJ and Cook. Yet I might rank Cook higher if he were to come out and did well at the combine. I've stated in other threads we could take a gamble on a QB in the 3rd day of the draft of 2015 and if had a choice it be on Chuckie Keeton.
    The read option quarterback has gone the way of the now extinct wildcat offense.

See: Colin Kaepernick and RGIII.

Chuckie Keeton and RGIII have the same injury issues because quarterbacks were designed to throw, not run.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    The read option quarterback has gone the way of the now extinct wildcat offense.

See: Colin Kaepernick and RGIII.

Chuckie Keeton and RGIII have the same injury issues because quarterbacks were designed to throw, not run.
    Yeah but to me if you're going to take a chance on a QB later than sooner you go with the guy with the best skill set and Chuckie seems to be a guy who fights hard to come back from injury. Unlike RGIII. He might be nothing more than a game manager that can run in the Russell Wilson/David Garrard mold which isn't horrible.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 12-16-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Don't want Cutler. Biggest cancer in the NFL.
    Dude pouts like a baby, but so did Dan Marino.

"Whaaaa! Danny's got a booboo, whaaaaa!"

I don't think Cutler is the, "biggest cancer in the NFL," that seems a little harsh.

Cutler's got an arm, and a strong supporting cast on offense, but he lacks protection.

Sounds familiar.

The game is won and lost in the quagmire, mostly unseen trenches between the big ugly's.

Why are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady so good?

Because they rarely get sacked.

11. Post thanked by:

better days (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not harsh at all. He's a loser. Just say no.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

13. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Agree with everything but your last few words, BI. It's going to take much better QB play if we're going to be one of the best teams in the league.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cutler = Jeff George 2.0
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

16. Post thanked by:

Night Train (12-17-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    Cutler = Jeff George 2.0
    Agreed.Posted the same before. A complete tease.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There will be plenty of time to talk about 2015 pretty soon. Right now the Bills are still in the hunt and can make the playoffs if they win out and get some help. No small task, but I'd rather focus on that possibility.

Anyway, besides playing the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets twice each, the Bills play the AFC South and the NFC East next year. That means we play Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Indianapolis in the AFC. We play Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington, and the New York Giants in the NFC. I like those AFC match-ups today, generally. The NFC division we'll face could definitely be worse.

Then we'll play a team in the AFC North and a team in the AFC West based on respective records from this year. That means that we'll either play the Ravens, Steelers, or Bengals in one game, and either the Chargers or Chiefs in another game...who exactly those teams will be remains to be seen.

I don't know as if we'll be able to upgrade the QB position in 2015 regardless. The same would be true even if we had a first round pick, in all likelihood. Why even talk about Cutler or Kaepernick...guys like that. Kaepernick just signed a huge contract with $61 million guaranteed. Cutler is in a similar boat contract-wise. No way in hell the 49ers or Bears are going to just let those guys go, and inheriting those contracts in a trade makes no sense...even if you actually like those players and it were actually possible.

Not that I'm particularly interested in him, but Sam Bradford is going into his contract year in 2015. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him next year and beyond.

19. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    There will be plenty of time to talk about 2015 pretty soon. Right now the Bills are still in the hunt and can make the playoffs if they win out and get some help. No small task, but I'd rather focus on that possibility.

Anyway, besides playing the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets twice each, the Bills play the AFC South and the NFC East next year. That means we play Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Indianapolis in the AFC. We play Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington, and the New York Giants in the NFC. I like those AFC match-ups today, generally. The NFC division we'll face could definitely be worse.

Then we'll play a team in the AFC North and a team in the AFC West based on respective records from this year. That means that we'll either play the Ravens, Steelers, or Bengals in one game, and either the Chargers or Chiefs in another game...who exactly those teams will be remains to be seen.

I don't know as if we'll be able to upgrade the QB position in 2015 regardless. The same would be true even if we had a first round pick, in all likelihood. Why even talk about Cutler or Kaepernick...guys like that. Kaepernick just signed a huge contract with $61 million guaranteed. Cutler is in a similar boat contract-wise. No way in hell the 49ers or Bears are going to just let those guys go, and inheriting those contracts in a trade makes no sense...even if you actually like those players and it were actually possible.

Not that I'm particularly interested in him, but Sam Bradford is going into his contract year in 2015. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him next year and beyond.
    my guess is he'll break his arm signing his next contract. but that's just me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Agreed.Posted the same before. A complete tease.
    the one thing that kills me about Cutler is that he can actually run, but almost never does so. I think he'd be much more effective if he ran now and then a la andrew luck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hundley will be available with our 2nd rd pick.

Petty will also even 3rd or 4th rds.

22. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There is no way this franchise can sit on their hands and trot Kyle Orton out there in 2015 as their starter, and waste another year of this defense. There is just no way that can be allowed to happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

cutler is romo light if you don't like the jeff george comparisons. his ceiling is to be an above average qb who will flame out in the playoffs when you need him most.

for the bills, it's intriguing because we want the playoffs so badly. but say he gets us there through a similarly frustrating offense where we win some games, lose some other very winnable games. if you have the same feeling about him as you do with orton, you have a huge contract and still no long term answer.

for me, i'd rather run with orton on a short leash with a new OC and pull EJ in if you had to. i think a smart OC can make some headway to be a 20-15 rated offense. which should be enough for this team to make the playoffs.

part of me wants to know how gailey would have worked with EJ. that being said i don't think EJ is good, but i don't think we should be completely done with him yet, since he is under contract and a cheap one to boot.

25. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Tampa Bay drafts a QB, and cuts Josh McCown, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    Cutler = Jeff George 2.0
    cutler isnt as good as george not close actually

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by elltrain22 View Post
    If Tampa Bay drafts a QB, and cuts Josh McCown, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him
    id rather their young guy from nc state

29. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If we go full on Pegula and spend mountains of money on FA Guards, I'm all for getting creative with trying to move up into the first round to get a QB and letting Orton start for at least some of next season, because I think he could be Trent Dilfer with adequate protection.

The one single imperative, in my book, is getting rid of EJ Manuel. He and Whaley caused this entire mess. Whaley for his MASSIVE errors in judgement--not drafting or acquiring a QB last offseason, and doubling down on EJ with the Watkins trade-- and EJ for his unfixable SUCK.

The EJ ship has sailed. He needs to go away.