Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marrone's 1st Belichick-esque Press Conference

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone's 1st Belichick-esque Press Conference

While I certainly haven't seen all of Marrone's pressers, I've seen enough to come to the conclusion that he treats the lame Buffalo press and their usually stupid slew of questions with kit gloves. Almost to the point of pussy footing around when he's on the mic. That was not the case on Monday following the Bills thumping of Green Bay.

Doug was pissed in his Monday press conference, and gave mostly short terse sentences and left unapologetic awkward silence. I've thought for many years that the Buffalo media doesn't know how to do anything but ask stupid ass questions. In the post-game player interviews nearly every defensive player was asked how much of a burden the offense is, often belaboring the idea that the defensive side of the ball should be pointing fingers at the offense. And then the Buffalo News comes out with the article claiming Sammy Watkins is one of the Top 20 biggest mistakes in Buffalo Sports history.

I really enjoyed this:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/vi...4-111551081f8e
    [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014),coastal (12-18-2014),pmoon6 (12-18-2014),swiper (12-17-2014)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Marrone's 1st Belichick-esque Press Conference

well hes done it before but not often. you might recall when he did it last time the media got a little pissy and said it was bc he was scared of losing his job. hey a guys got a right to be in different moods sometimes imo

id rather a guy have the presence and authority to be able to talk openly and candidly but the press can be freakin brutal. if you dont have top notch skills in handling that circus i can see why sometimes you would just want to give one word answers and gettf out of there
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    well hes done it before but not often. you might recall when he did it last time the media got a little pissy and said it was bc he was scared of losing his job. hey a guys got a right to be in different moods sometimes imo

id rather a guy have the presence and authority to be able to talk openly and candidly but the press can be freakin brutal. if you dont have top notch skills in handling that circus i can see why sometimes you would just want to give one word answers and gettf out of there
    I read this conference in particular as an f-you to the miserable *****s in the press taking cheap shots at the team.

5. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014),coastal (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The video about Mario was pretty cool too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Last year on WGR Marrone would crack jokes and laugh it up with the morning crew... He has definetly changed his approach and become very wary of the press... Now his interviews on WGR are very terse and monotone and now its a bothersome obligaton

8. Post thanked by:

better days (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hey you know what I agree with him, why is the media trying to tear the team apart. The Buffalo Bills are 8-6 not the bills defense or the bills offense. The colts won the super bowl despite their defense yet the defensive players still got a ring, there defense was ok but they could not stop the run that year. As Bill Parcells says you are what your record says you are and the bills are 8-6.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Hey you know what I agree with him, why is the media trying to tear the team apart. The Buffalo Bills are 8-6 not the bills defense or the bills offense. The colts won the super bowl despite their defense yet the defensive players still got a ring, there defense was ok but they could not stop the run that year. As Bill Parcells says you are what your record says you are and the bills are 8-6.

Marrone and Kyle bring it up during the post game video. One of the first things Marrone says is he's proud they played for each other. Says when other people wanted them to point fingers at each other, they trusted each other and worked hard.

The first thing Kyle says is at the beginning of the game they knew they'd win as a team.

Marrone is definitely preaching about the team and making sure guys don't start turning on each other. No matter what, that wouldn't help. Everyone knows the offense is the weaker unit, it doesn't matter.

Back to the original topic, I thought that press conference was hilarious.

"Coach, you seem upset."

"Busy."

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was skeptical of the op, until I watched the video. The op was right.

I especially loved the ..."coach you don't look happy. Why not?"

Coach, "because I'm busy."

Those were some sad questions being asked.

12. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

what should they be asking?

i get being fed up with the media. this looks like the new standard way to indicate youre pissed at them i guess. but a reporters got a job to do and thats get juicy or at least interesting quotes. whats interesting and new to talk about this time of year? i suppose they could be more positive but does that really sell stories like mud slinging i doubt it

gotta admit it would be nice if a coach could manage to be above that but maybe they really miffed him. if so it would be nice to know exactly what happened but we will probably never know

somebody call the bills chef
    Last edited by Meathead; 12-17-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is hilarious... Worth your 3 mins
    Jeremy Cupp

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is ridiculous. He's got a job. And he wants to go do it. Who (t. f.) cares if the reporters have a job to take the coach away from his job for an hour a day to ask asinine questions? Let them go get jobs that matter in society.

16. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,552 Times in 17,438 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo media, at least dating back to the Super Bowl years, have always had a couple or few *******s that just want to focus on the negative.

Also, the year Manning actually won a ring with the Colts it was the defense that stepped up in the playoffs, even in the championship game against NE despite the points against.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That Colts D non-bigoted up the last few games of that year and during the playoffs. They turned out to be a very good D when it mattered.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

19. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Last year, especially up until the season started Marrone was more candid/emotional/open on his pressers. I think it had more to do with trying to make a good impression on the fans and showing his eagerness to turn this thing around.

I think this year he knew the team was hamstrung at QB and he is serious about keeping his team focused week in and week out. There are 2 games this year where I felt like this team was flat. Week 3 vs SD when they were playing top notch ball and the Thursday night game vs Miami. Which I say, **** Thursday night games. Our defense didn't have the same legs that night, and Hackett and the Oline got schooled. Even then the team had a chance to take the lead/tie after causing the fumble after the free kick.

So I really credit Marrone and his staff. This team competes each and every play. I think he just doesn't give a **** about pleasing the press at this point. He's bad a shut storm before this year started with Ralph passing and the team going up for sale. He has his faults as a coach, but I do believe he brings an edge and a toughness to this team. They certainly aren't the type to get bullied by opposing teams. Remember when Rex's Jets use to just beat up our Oline and front 7? Marrone (and Whaley) have changed the culture in that respect. Marrone gets his guys to come out swinging and compete each and every play.

21. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (12-18-2014),coastal (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The press does have a job to do. The problem is that this lot, are singularly bad at doing it. I've not read some of the recent stuff, although I might have to go and look at some of it, just to be sure they are that full of themselves, but there was another recent PC where they were trying to find out about EJ, and came away with absolutely nothing, simply because they couldn't work out how to ask the right questions.

As I said earlier, they do have a job to do, but that doesn't mean they can expect no fallout if they are going to start stirring it. You don't slag off proud athletes, and then expect to be treated as best buds, just because you are only 'doing your job'.
    Same applies to coaches, and probably double so to coaches who were former players.

Just about everyone knows that the problem with the team is the Offense, but instead of trying to be constructively critical, they have to try and find an angle, and come up with all sorts of garbage to try and justify themselves. The stuff about the Watkins trade, for example. There's no denying that Sammy has talent. Already broken the Bills rookie receiving record, might get to 1000 yards in his first year, has a number of 100 yard games already, and has played regularly while quite heavily banged up. Yet this is a failure? And after not even a full season?
    I think they need to start drinking something that isn't a depressant.

For all of the struggles of the Offense, an ugly win against the #1 ranked passing offense in the NFL, and a definite SB 'favorite', is not to be sneezed, or sneered, at. It's exactly the sort of match up, where all that matters is the W.

23. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone is the best coach this team has had since Levy.

25. Post thanked by:

Fixxxer (12-18-2014),Historian (12-19-2014)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    I agree.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Honest questions. Not just prompting for quotes to fit the article they wrote prior to the press conference.

28. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Honest questions. Not just prompting for quotes to fit the article they wrote prior to the press conference.
    And can they please stop pretending like they're psychoanalysts? If I never hear another Buffalo reporter asking a Bills player or coach about validation or any other psycho-babble about the team's emotional makeup in a super awkward way I'll be astonished.

30. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Pretty much, yes