• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Buy low, sell high? Bears bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen

I don't know if Cutler is a good idea or not, but now might be the time to pursue a deal.

The Bears’ collapse has reached epic proportions, as Jay Cutler has lost his job as Chicago’s starting quarterback.

Cutler has been benched and Jimmy Clausen will start on Sunday against the Lions, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

For Cutler to get benched after playing just 14 games into the enormous contract he signed this offseason demonstrates just how big the mess in Chicago is. That contract may cost both Bears G.M. Phil Emery and Bears coach Marc Trestman their jobs.

And Cutler’s play has already cost him his job. Whether Cutler has any future in Chicago or anywhere else in the NFL remains to be seen, but at the present, Clausen is the Bears’ starting quarterback.

The Bears' collapse has reached epic proportions, as Jay Cutler has lost his job as Chicago's starting quarterback.
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buy low, sell high? Bears bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen

I could be down with bolstering the O-Lone and going into next season with Cutler and Orton, then drafting a savior QB in 2016.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
      I could be down with bolstering the O-Lone and going into next season with Cutler and Orton, then drafting a savior QB in 2016.
      Orton would rather retire than play with Cutler
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• imbondz
        Democrats are people too
        • Jan 2003

Heck no! Cutler is a drama queen. No thx
        My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Hell no.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

" But,but,but...I've HEARD of him ! "
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
              " But,but,but...I've HEARD of him ! "
              The question isn't 'would he be ideal?' The question is, would he be better than Orton.

Because, really, thanks to Whaley's sucker's deal, the Bills have extremely limited options.

After watching Orton crumble when simply touched by Defenders over the past 10+ games, the question is legitimate.

EJ is not an option. RGIII is not only a poor option, but likely to be an overpriced poor option. The rest of the group of potential FA QBs is even worse.

Maybe Bradford, but he's a teacup.

I think it comes down to Orton vs. Cutler.

Orson would have had my vote a few weeks ago, but he makes Drew Bledsoe look like Michael Vick (who is also DEFINITELY not an option). Orton hasn't thrown many INTs, and Cutler has turned into an INT machine.

Again, I don't know if Cutler is even worth looking at, but if you're such a ****ing smart ass, why don't you tell me?

Comment

• Thurmal
                • Oct 2005

He would be an upgrade, which is exactly what we need. He'd also take shots downfield; definitely something that you should do when you invest a lot in receivers. Orton the last few weeks is essentially trying to pick up a few first downs for good field position or, if he's really feeling it, a field goal.
                "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

This team with Cutler is a playoff a team, period!

Cutler is an average QB, might be a bit above average. The thing is, he can be extremely good, and he can be extremely bad, averaging to the level I said. The problem is people see his extremely good side and expect him to play like that all the time (and he got paid like that).

I still don't expect him to be available that easily. Maybe the Raiders will trade their 1st round pick for Cutler now.

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                    • Mar 2004

Well I think I'd rather have tresman as a OC than cutty at QB. The reality is we need a QB and I've seen enough of Orton.

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

i dont even see that hes an upgrade over orton. plus hes a gay *****. not that hes actually gay i mean hes one of those stereotypical gay *****es. i have one in my drs office, theodore. everybody calls him theo and thats usually cool then all of a sudden he reminds you its theodore with a bit of huss in his voice and youre like oooo k. i told him he looked good after losing weight and under his breath he goes right in front of me 'that was a while ago but ok' and im like *****! lmao. so classic and thats him. thats cutler, the *****y gay guy who in this case isnt homosexual. at least as far as we know.
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SeatownBillsFan21 View Post
                        Well I think I'd rather have tresman as a OC than cutty at QB. The reality is we need a QB and I've seen enough of Orton.
                        This is one of the things that bothers me about the whole situation. Trestman is supposed to be some kind of Offensive genius or Quarterback whisperer, but Cutler has had his worst season under him.

On the other hand, Cutler has thrown 183 career TDs, vs 130 INTs. That's pretty freaking good, and those numbers over a career show more good than bad. And when that happens, there's usually a fixable problem, like better protection, or a scheme better suited to a QBs talents.

Orton has 97 TD passes vs 67 INTs.

Orton has 17,500 yards in 2,650 attempts. Cutler has 27,500 ads in 3,800 attempts. Their completion percentages are similar 61.5% for Cutler, 59.3% for Orton.

Orton has demonstrably better stats than Orton, and in almost 30% more attempts.

They're both playing terrible football right now, but I see Cutler as having more upside over the course of a year or two than Orton, if certain improvements are made.

I think the relationship between the Bears and Orton is toxic and he will be cut, despite a huge payout that will be due him.

Again, not an ideal option, but a worthwhile one if he's cut and can be picked up without a trade, and at a reduced salary.

I just don't see any better options out there.

Comment

• ICRockets
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                          i dont even see that hes an upgrade over orton. plus hes a gay *****. not that hes actually gay i mean hes one of those stereotypical gay *****es. i have one in my drs office, theodore. everybody calls him theo and thats usually cool then all of a sudden he reminds you its theodore with a bit of huss in his voice and youre like oooo k. i told him he looked good after losing weight and under his breath he goes right in front of me 'that was a while ago but ok' and im like *****! lmao. so classic and thats him. thats cutler, the *****y gay guy who in this case isnt homosexual. at least as far as we know.
                          Do you see what a good poster you could be if you just shut up about race? This is it. This could be you all the time.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                            Escaped Convict
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
                            Do you see what a good poster you could be if you just shut up about race? This is it. This could be you all the time.
                            That was your idea of a good post?

This explains a lot.

Comment

• Luisito23
                              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                              • Apr 2003

Would love Cutler here, but with that contract, methinks not...If it can somehow be fixed then this team would be stupid not to at least try trade for him.
                              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

Working...
                              X