• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buy low, sell high? Bears bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    This team with Cutler is a playoff a team, period!
    This team with last years running game is a playoff team period.

If Orton played vs. Texans we could be playoffs bound.

I'm no Orton fan . He's a back up.
    But the OL needs attention or Cutler is not going to do anything and then he'll turn around and ruin the team chemistry.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

1. a good Offensive coach has decided to go with Jimmy clausen over cutler. RED FLAG
      2. The Chicago FO is seemingly ok with this after signing a big contract with cutler. RED FLAG
      3. Cutler has stats but has a NFC champioinship game appearance and sat out injured. RED FLAG
      4. Don't know him, but he looks like a pouter and easily discouraged when things aren't going well for him. it comes off as a lack of fight. RED FLAG.

Those are issues that i think can disrupt what seems to be a fairly close team on the Bills. Do you really think at 30+, he's going to have a miracle run? He could. It is worth gambling on? It isn't to me. it was worth it for peyton when he was coming off surgery because he was a winner. His stats also backed up a lot of wins. even if he couldn't return to gretaness, he might have been a smart enough mind to groom the next guy.

I don't see those positives with cutler.

So for the reasons above, i'd pass on cutler. i think he could have an amazingnext stop, but it is unlikley. Trestman is credited as being a very smart OC and very creative and he couldn't get it done with cutler.

Comment

• streetkings01
        • Jul 2006

Sign me up for Cutler......what you get from him is a QB that can consistently complete over 60% of his passes , 3000+ yards per season, 20+ tds per season and under 15 int per season. Right now that is what we need as bridge QB for the young QB we draft either this year or next year.
        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

I thought Cutler was one of the best in football....as a Bronco.

Then unfortunately, he did not see eye to eye with that idiot McDaniels, and signed the best deal that he could at the time, simply to get out of Denver.

I would take him over what we have in a heartbeat.

Comment

• streetkings01
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            1. a good Offensive coach has decided to go with Jimmy clausen over cutler. RED FLAG
            2. The Chicago FO is seemingly ok with this after signing a big contract with cutler. RED FLAG
            3. Cutler has stats but has a NFC champioinship game appearance and sat out injured. RED FLAG
            4. Don't know him, but he looks like a pouter and easily discouraged when things aren't going well for him. it comes off as a lack of fight. RED FLAG.

Those are issues that i think can disrupt what seems to be a fairly close team on the Bills. Do you really think at 30+, he's going to have a miracle run? He could. It is worth gambling on? It isn't to me. it was worth it for peyton when he was coming off surgery because he was a winner. His stats also backed up a lot of wins. even if he couldn't return to gretaness, he might have been a smart enough mind to groom the next guy.

I don't see those positives with cutler.

So for the reasons above, i'd pass on cutler. i think he could have an amazingnext stop, but it is unlikley. Trestman is credited as being a very smart OC and very creative and he couldn't get it done with cutler.
            Who are these great QBs that Trestman is credited with turning into All Pros? Kosar , Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer(best seasons under Shannahan not Trestman) and Rich Gannon(credit to Trestman or Gruden?). Those are all the QBs the QB guru known as Trestman is known for......I'm not impressed. I'm not saying Cutler is a great QB but since Trestman couldn't turn him into a stud that shouldn't mean Cutler is washed up........Trestman hasn't been relevent in the NFL in over a decade.
            You can call me streetkings

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Cutler has a guarantee of $15.5 Mill next season, but that is the last of his guaranteed money. And he is under contract for 5 years after next year if a team wants to keep him.

That would be $10 Mill more than the money the Bills would have to pay Orton next year under his current contract.

So it would be a $10 Million dollar gamble on Cutler next year & probably a 3rd or 4th rnd draft pick.

I would take that gamble myself.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                i dont even see that hes an upgrade over orton. plus hes a gay *****. not that hes actually gay i mean hes one of those stereotypical gay *****es. i have one in my drs office, theodore. everybody calls him theo and thats usually cool then all of a sudden he reminds you its theodore with a bit of huss in his voice and youre like oooo k. i told him he looked good after losing weight and under his breath he goes right in front of me 'that was a while ago but ok' and im like *****! lmao. so classic and thats him. thats cutler, the *****y gay guy who in this case isnt homosexual. at least as far as we know.
                So true. On the other hand his girlfriend is smoking hot so it's a real longshot he's truly gay. I say the only way you consider Cutler is if the girlfriend doesn't see how bad he sucks and dump him. She's his biggest selling point, especially with no Jills. Ok that was a joke I don't want him. I'm looking for the Bills to establish an offensive style that says Buffalo tough, Buffalo winter, smash you in the mouth football. Pansy Cutler doesn't fit that mold. At all. Coach killer. Locker room cancer. Turnover machine. Benched for a guy with a 5 year old girl sized hands. Is this a serious conversation?

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by streetkings01 View Post
                  Who are these great QBs that Trestman is credited with turning into All Pros? Kosar , Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer(best seasons under Shannahan not Trestman) and Rich Gannon(credit to Trestman or Gruden?). Those are all the QBs the QB guru known as Trestman is known for......I'm not impressed. I'm not saying Cutler is a great QB but since Trestman couldn't turn him into a stud that shouldn't mean Cutler is washed up........Trestman hasn't been relevent in the NFL in over a decade.
                  but isn't that even more damning? that he could squeak out a season or two with those guys, but was unable to with cutler? Just asking.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                    So true. On the other hand his girlfriend is smoking hot so it's a real longshot he's truly gay. I say the only way you consider Cutler is if the girlfriend doesn't see how bad he sucks and dump him. She's his biggest selling point, especially with no Jills. Ok that was a joke I don't want him. I'm looking for the Bills to establish an offensive style that says Buffalo tough, Buffalo winter, smash you in the mouth football. Pansy Cutler doesn't fit that mold. At all. Coach killer. Locker room cancer. Turnover machine. Benched for a guy with a 5 year old girl sized hands. Is this a serious conversation?
                    Cutler is a gunslinger like Favre was but without Favre's talent.

Still, Cutler does have some talent but he would need an OC that allows him to freelance.

Trestman has a structured offense that does not suit Cutlers talent.

I would take Trestman as OC or Cutler as QB. Both would be an upgrade over what the Bills have now.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                      • Feb 2006

Cutler can score points that's what we need. He has to have a good defense to mitigate some of him turnovers. We have that. He's not elite by any means, but his best bet to succeed is to QB a team built like ours. He takes too much of the blame in Chicago for a piss poor defense.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                        Cutler can score points that's what we need. He has to have a good defense to mitigate some of him turnovers. We have that. He's not elite by any means, but his best bet to succeed is to QB a team built like ours. He takes too much of the blame in Chicago for a piss poor defense.
                        Nope. The Bears are scoring less than the Bills.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                          That playoff game where he was injured, I thought he totally wussed out. He's a cry baby.
                          He had a torn MCL.

How many seasons has he made the playoffs with the Bears? 1 year in 2010. You're telling me the Bears over the past 6-7 seasons have only had the talent to make the playoffs 1 year with him?
                          Yeah, I'd be comfortable saying that. Have you actually looked at the Bears, specifically their OLine, over the first 4 years he was there?

He leads the league in turnovers this year.
                          His turnover rate hasn't changed, it's the amount of passes he's thrown this year. I agree that he's not likely to change that dramatically in a new offense.

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                          I thought Cutler was one of the best in football....as a Bronco.

Then unfortunately, he did not see eye to eye with that idiot McDaniels, and signed the best deal that he could at the time, simply to get out of Denver.

I would take him over what we have in a heartbeat.
                          He was traded after McDaniels was openly trying to replace him with Matt Cassel. Cutler didn't come off great in that interaction either, but McDaniels was a clown who made a lot of ridiculous moves.

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          Cutler has a guarantee of $15.5 Mill next season, but that is the last of his guaranteed money. And he is under contract for 5 years after next year if a team wants to keep him.

That would be $10 Mill more than the money the Bills would have to pay Orton next year under his current contract.

So it would be a $10 Million dollar gamble on Cutler next year & probably a 3rd or 4th rnd draft pick.

I would take that gamble myself.
                          It's not. $10 million of his 2016 salary guarantees this March, before we'd even have a chance to see him play a snap even in practice, and then the remainder of his 2016 salary guarantees the following March. Realistically, if we traded for him we are signing up for 2 years, ~$32 million.

TBH I can see why people want him, but I am hesitant for a couple reasons.

1) Cutler is a high-variance player. He can throw for 300 yards and 4 TDs, or he can throw for 170 yards and 3 INTs on any given sunday. With a defense like ours, I think we can afford to sacrifice some of that high ceiling for a higher floor. As bad as Orton has looked, he has protected the football better than Cutler.

2) Cutler and Schwartz hate each other as I recall. Schwartz' defenders roughed Cutler repeatedly when the latter was in Detroit. If I had to choose between them, I would take Schwartz.

3) We have a lot of contracts coming due in 2016 - Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore being the big three, with Bradham, Robey, and Chandler being lesser FAs. And that's assuming we sign Spiller and/or Hughes this offseason too. Now, I am confident we could fit most of those guys under the cap, if we take on Cutler's contract in addition to them, that's basically it for free agency for the next two years. Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore alone are likely to account for $180+ million in total contract value. So if you are saying "Trade for Cutler" you have to ask yourself, "Can he win with this version of the Bills?" Not with two extra FA guards and a receiving TE, etc, but with the Bills as they are currently constructed. I don't know that he would.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                            Nope. The Bears are scoring less than the Bills.
                            Have you seen Chicago this year? It's a circus of course their numbers are down. That's not a reason to write off what would be instantly the best QB we've had on our roster in a decade. He's not great, but he's better than what we have and I think he's capable of turning this team into a true contender. I'll say it again though, he's not great, but he would improve our team and that is the goal, wouldn't you say?

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                              Have you seen Chicago this year? It's a circus of course their numbers are down. That's not a reason to write off what would be instantly the best QB we've had on our roster in a decade. He's not great, but he's better than what we have and I think he's capable of turning this team into a true contender. I'll say it again though, he's not great, but he would improve our team and that is the goal, wouldn't you say?
                              Yes I have. Guess who's smack in the center ring of that circus? The Bears have a ton of weapons on offense. Their numbers are down for one reason. Cutler has lost the team with his penchant for killer turnovers and no leadership. That's why he was benched. It's on him. The QB is 1st and foremost a leader. The least talented QB in the history of the national football league I would argue was Joe Kapp. Perhaps the most talented was Jeff George. Kapp was a winner. George was a loser. It's not all about talent.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                                So those of you that are on the Cutler bandwagon think Nate Hackett can get more out of him then Marc Trestman?
                                The **** makes Marc trestman so great?

Comment

Working...
                                X