Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buy low, sell high? Bears bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Buy low, sell high? Bears bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen

With his contract the bears may have to give a draft pic to someone to take him. Let's offer our third for cutler and their first.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    This team with Cutler is a playoff a team, period!

Cutler is an average QB, might be a bit above average. The thing is, he can be extremely good, and he can be extremely bad, averaging to the level I said. The problem is people see his extremely good side and expect him to play like that all the time (and he got paid like that).

I still don't expect him to be available that easily. Maybe the Raiders will trade their 1st round pick for Cutler now.

lol so you think the raiders might send their 1st rounder a top 4 pick for cutler

ok! i think cutler is crap but hes a major upgrade above what we have in orton

carr for raiders is better then cutler!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by yordad View Post
    With his contract the bears may have to give a draft pic to someone to take him. Let's offer our third for cutler and their first.
    This is why I think they may cut him. Even though they have to pay him $19MIL just to do it, I think they will.

And if you're Jay Cutler, with a $19MIL check in your back pocket, I think you look to sign with a team where you will A) Start and B) Have a great shot at making the playoffs.

There are not many teams who desperately need a QB who are even close to making the playoffs. The Bills, with an upgrade at QB and a couple of OL pieces, are there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's weird because we haven't had a QB with a ****ty attitude since Billy Joe Hobert, and he kind of is a stretch because he was thrown in randomly.

They have all been likeable guys for all intents and purposes off the field. The last franchise QB we had with a ****ty attitude was... Jim Kelly.

Maybe Kelly can talk some sense into him? Maybe he'll be inspired by the plucky nature of the Buffalo fans and the underdog team? He's never been on a team where he wasn't expected to be a star, so maybe with the pressure gone he'll relax a little?

I can dream I guess.
    Last edited by BuffaloRedleg; 12-18-2014 at 12:30 AM.

5. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-18-2014)

May Day and Spring 2024! Frenchman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well Mark Trestman is going to lose his job after this season! So he wants to go out with a bang it seems!
    ​Ready for NFL Draft!

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So those of you that are on the Cutler bandwagon think Nate Hackett can get more out of him then Marc Trestman?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

8. Post thanked by:

cookie G (12-18-2014),Mace (12-18-2014),Novacane (12-18-2014)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    Do you see what a good poster you could be if you just shut up about race? This is it. This could be you all the time.
    That's his schtick. Everyone knows not to take Meathead seriously.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe the Raiders will trade their 1st round pick for Cutler now.
    Read this

I
    am
    sofa king
    wee
    todd
    did

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    lol so you think the raiders might send their 1st rounder a top 4 pick for cutler

ok! i think cutler is crap but hes a major upgrade above what we have in orton

carr for raiders is better then cutler!!!!!!!!
    QB of Cutler caliber may cost more than you think. I said Raiders because they have a history of doing this. Didn't they give Cinci a 1st round pick for Palmer?

In any event, if Trestman goes, Cutler may not even be on the market. We'll see. I still say Bradford is the most likely - true, the Rams may want to see themselves what he can do when healthy for a season, but the fact he's in his last year and is due a lot of money may make any trade offer appealing. The Rams are more or less in the same situation as the Bills. In fact if I were them, I'd offer Bradford for Cutler straight up to the Bears. Alternatively, I may trade for Cutler while trading away Bradford.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
    It is unbelievable how incapable of the most basic discussions some of you are capable of.

Nobody here is saying he's a great option. We're saying he's a better option than what we have.

It's your wedding anniversary and you forgot. It's 11PM, and the only thing open is a gas station. Sure those cheap flowers aren't a great option, but it's certainly better than walking home empty handed.

Those of you saying "Hell No" ought to come up with a better plan. I'll save you the time. There isn't.

I'm willing to hear arguments in favor of a lot of things, but unless Orton suddenly starts playing amazing and leads us to the playoffs I sure as hell am not going to even consider that EJ/Orton are acceptable going into next season.

I'm saying Cutler is so all over the place, we don't know if he's a better option, and that for me makes him not a better option. I've somewhat followed him since his Vandy days. I'm not sure exactly what happened in Denver, but he didn't come across looking good in that trade. That playoff game where he was injured, I thought he totally wussed out. He's a cry baby. How many seasons has he made the playoffs with the Bears? 1 year in 2010. You're telling me the Bears over the past 6-7 seasons have only had the talent to make the playoffs 1 year with him?

He leads the league in turnovers this year. You think that will magically end if he comes here with our O-line? Orton had a career 35-35 record before he got here, and he's played like that. QBs RARELY change who they are with another team.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

13. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This team with Cutler is a playoff a team, period!
    This team with last years running game is a playoff team period.

If Orton played vs. Texans we could be playoffs bound.

I'm no Orton fan . He's a back up.
    But the OL needs attention or Cutler is not going to do anything and then he'll turn around and ruin the team chemistry.

15. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

1. a good Offensive coach has decided to go with Jimmy clausen over cutler. RED FLAG
    2. The Chicago FO is seemingly ok with this after signing a big contract with cutler. RED FLAG
    3. Cutler has stats but has a NFC champioinship game appearance and sat out injured. RED FLAG
    4. Don't know him, but he looks like a pouter and easily discouraged when things aren't going well for him. it comes off as a lack of fight. RED FLAG.

Those are issues that i think can disrupt what seems to be a fairly close team on the Bills. Do you really think at 30+, he's going to have a miracle run? He could. It is worth gambling on? It isn't to me. it was worth it for peyton when he was coming off surgery because he was a winner. His stats also backed up a lot of wins. even if he couldn't return to gretaness, he might have been a smart enough mind to groom the next guy.

I don't see those positives with cutler.

So for the reasons above, i'd pass on cutler. i think he could have an amazingnext stop, but it is unlikley. Trestman is credited as being a very smart OC and very creative and he couldn't get it done with cutler.

17. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-18-2014),pmoon6 (12-18-2014),YardRat (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sign me up for Cutler......what you get from him is a QB that can consistently complete over 60% of his passes , 3000+ yards per season, 20+ tds per season and under 15 int per season. Right now that is what we need as bridge QB for the young QB we draft either this year or next year.
    You can call me streetkings

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,292 Times in 15,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought Cutler was one of the best in football....as a Bronco.

Then unfortunately, he did not see eye to eye with that idiot McDaniels, and signed the best deal that he could at the time, simply to get out of Denver.

I would take him over what we have in a heartbeat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    1. a good Offensive coach has decided to go with Jimmy clausen over cutler. RED FLAG
    2. The Chicago FO is seemingly ok with this after signing a big contract with cutler. RED FLAG
    3. Cutler has stats but has a NFC champioinship game appearance and sat out injured. RED FLAG
    4. Don't know him, but he looks like a pouter and easily discouraged when things aren't going well for him. it comes off as a lack of fight. RED FLAG.

Those are issues that i think can disrupt what seems to be a fairly close team on the Bills. Do you really think at 30+, he's going to have a miracle run? He could. It is worth gambling on? It isn't to me. it was worth it for peyton when he was coming off surgery because he was a winner. His stats also backed up a lot of wins. even if he couldn't return to gretaness, he might have been a smart enough mind to groom the next guy.

I don't see those positives with cutler.

So for the reasons above, i'd pass on cutler. i think he could have an amazingnext stop, but it is unlikley. Trestman is credited as being a very smart OC and very creative and he couldn't get it done with cutler.
    Who are these great QBs that Trestman is credited with turning into All Pros? Kosar , Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer(best seasons under Shannahan not Trestman) and Rich Gannon(credit to Trestman or Gruden?). Those are all the QBs the QB guru known as Trestman is known for......I'm not impressed. I'm not saying Cutler is a great QB but since Trestman couldn't turn him into a stud that shouldn't mean Cutler is washed up........Trestman hasn't been relevent in the NFL in over a decade.

21. Post thanked by:

GvilleBills (12-20-2014),WagonCircler (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cutler has a guarantee of $15.5 Mill next season, but that is the last of his guaranteed money. And he is under contract for 5 years after next year if a team wants to keep him.

That would be $10 Mill more than the money the Bills would have to pay Orton next year under his current contract.

So it would be a $10 Million dollar gamble on Cutler next year & probably a 3rd or 4th rnd draft pick.

I would take that gamble myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    i dont even see that hes an upgrade over orton. plus hes a gay *****. not that hes actually gay i mean hes one of those stereotypical gay *****es. i have one in my drs office, theodore. everybody calls him theo and thats usually cool then all of a sudden he reminds you its theodore with a bit of huss in his voice and youre like oooo k. i told him he looked good after losing weight and under his breath he goes right in front of me 'that was a while ago but ok' and im like *****! lmao. so classic and thats him. thats cutler, the *****y gay guy who in this case isnt homosexual. at least as far as we know.
    So true. On the other hand his girlfriend is smoking hot so it's a real longshot he's truly gay. I say the only way you consider Cutler is if the girlfriend doesn't see how bad he sucks and dump him. She's his biggest selling point, especially with no Jills. Ok that was a joke I don't want him. I'm looking for the Bills to establish an offensive style that says Buffalo tough, Buffalo winter, smash you in the mouth football. Pansy Cutler doesn't fit that mold. At all. Coach killer. Locker room cancer. Turnover machine. Benched for a guy with a 5 year old girl sized hands. Is this a serious conversation?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    Who are these great QBs that Trestman is credited with turning into All Pros? Kosar , Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer(best seasons under Shannahan not Trestman) and Rich Gannon(credit to Trestman or Gruden?). Those are all the QBs the QB guru known as Trestman is known for......I'm not impressed. I'm not saying Cutler is a great QB but since Trestman couldn't turn him into a stud that shouldn't mean Cutler is washed up........Trestman hasn't been relevent in the NFL in over a decade.
    but isn't that even more damning? that he could squeak out a season or two with those guys, but was unable to with cutler? Just asking.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    So true. On the other hand his girlfriend is smoking hot so it's a real longshot he's truly gay. I say the only way you consider Cutler is if the girlfriend doesn't see how bad he sucks and dump him. She's his biggest selling point, especially with no Jills. Ok that was a joke I don't want him. I'm looking for the Bills to establish an offensive style that says Buffalo tough, Buffalo winter, smash you in the mouth football. Pansy Cutler doesn't fit that mold. At all. Coach killer. Locker room cancer. Turnover machine. Benched for a guy with a 5 year old girl sized hands. Is this a serious conversation?
    Cutler is a gunslinger like Favre was but without Favre's talent.

Still, Cutler does have some talent but he would need an OC that allows him to freelance.

Trestman has a structured offense that does not suit Cutlers talent.

I would take Trestman as OC or Cutler as QB. Both would be an upgrade over what the Bills have now.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cutler can score points that's what we need. He has to have a good defense to mitigate some of him turnovers. We have that. He's not elite by any means, but his best bet to succeed is to QB a team built like ours. He takes too much of the blame in Chicago for a piss poor defense.