Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buy low, sell high? Bears bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buy low, sell high? Bears bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen

I don't know if Cutler is a good idea or not, but now might be the time to pursue a deal.

The Bears’ collapse has reached epic proportions, as Jay Cutler has lost his job as Chicago’s starting quarterback.

Cutler has been benched and Jimmy Clausen will start on Sunday against the Lions, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

For Cutler to get benched after playing just 14 games into the enormous contract he signed this offseason demonstrates just how big the mess in Chicago is. That contract may cost both Bears G.M. Phil Emery and Bears coach Marc Trestman their jobs.

And Cutler’s play has already cost him his job. Whether Cutler has any future in Chicago or anywhere else in the NFL remains to be seen, but at the present, Clausen is the Bears’ starting quarterback.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jimmy-clausen/

2. Post thanked by:

better days (12-17-2014),BuffaloRedleg (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Buy low, sell high? Bears bench Cutler for Jimmy Clausen

I could be down with bolstering the O-Lone and going into next season with Cutler and Orton, then drafting a savior QB in 2016.

4. Post thanked by:

Thurmal (12-17-2014),Uncle Jesse (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I could be down with bolstering the O-Lone and going into next season with Cutler and Orton, then drafting a savior QB in 2016.
    Orton would rather retire than play with Cutler

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014),trapezeus (12-18-2014)

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Heck no! Cutler is a drama queen. No thx
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

8. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014),Meathead (12-17-2014),Novacane (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hell no.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

10. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014),Meathead (12-17-2014),Novacane (12-17-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

" But,but,but...I've HEARD of him ! "

12. Post thanked by:

imbondz (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    " But,but,but...I've HEARD of him ! "
    The question isn't 'would he be ideal?' The question is, would he be better than Orton.

Because, really, thanks to Whaley's sucker's deal, the Bills have extremely limited options.

After watching Orton crumble when simply touched by Defenders over the past 10+ games, the question is legitimate.

EJ is not an option. RGIII is not only a poor option, but likely to be an overpriced poor option. The rest of the group of potential FA QBs is even worse.

Maybe Bradford, but he's a teacup.

I think it comes down to Orton vs. Cutler.

Orson would have had my vote a few weeks ago, but he makes Drew Bledsoe look like Michael Vick (who is also DEFINITELY not an option). Orton hasn't thrown many INTs, and Cutler has turned into an INT machine.

Again, I don't know if Cutler is even worth looking at, but if you're such a ****ing smart ass, why don't you tell me?

14. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-18-2014),BillsImpossible (12-17-2014),BuffaloRedleg (12-17-2014),Lone Stranger (12-17-2014),Thurmal (12-17-2014),Uncle Jesse (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He would be an upgrade, which is exactly what we need. He'd also take shots downfield; definitely something that you should do when you invest a lot in receivers. Orton the last few weeks is essentially trying to pick up a few first downs for good field position or, if he's really feeling it, a field goal.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This team with Cutler is a playoff a team, period!

Cutler is an average QB, might be a bit above average. The thing is, he can be extremely good, and he can be extremely bad, averaging to the level I said. The problem is people see his extremely good side and expect him to play like that all the time (and he got paid like that).

I still don't expect him to be available that easily. Maybe the Raiders will trade their 1st round pick for Cutler now.

17. Post thanked by:

streetkings01 (12-18-2014)

Registered User SeatownBillsFan21's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well I think I'd rather have tresman as a OC than cutty at QB. The reality is we need a QB and I've seen enough of Orton.

19. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (12-17-2014),Lone Stranger (12-17-2014)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i dont even see that hes an upgrade over orton. plus hes a gay *****. not that hes actually gay i mean hes one of those stereotypical gay *****es. i have one in my drs office, theodore. everybody calls him theo and thats usually cool then all of a sudden he reminds you its theodore with a bit of huss in his voice and youre like oooo k. i told him he looked good after losing weight and under his breath he goes right in front of me 'that was a while ago but ok' and im like *****! lmao. so classic and thats him. thats cutler, the *****y gay guy who in this case isnt homosexual. at least as far as we know.
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownBillsFan21 View Post
    Well I think I'd rather have tresman as a OC than cutty at QB. The reality is we need a QB and I've seen enough of Orton.
    This is one of the things that bothers me about the whole situation. Trestman is supposed to be some kind of Offensive genius or Quarterback whisperer, but Cutler has had his worst season under him.

On the other hand, Cutler has thrown 183 career TDs, vs 130 INTs. That's pretty freaking good, and those numbers over a career show more good than bad. And when that happens, there's usually a fixable problem, like better protection, or a scheme better suited to a QBs talents.

Orton has 97 TD passes vs 67 INTs.

Orton has 17,500 yards in 2,650 attempts. Cutler has 27,500 ads in 3,800 attempts. Their completion percentages are similar 61.5% for Cutler, 59.3% for Orton.

Orton has demonstrably better stats than Orton, and in almost 30% more attempts.

They're both playing terrible football right now, but I see Cutler as having more upside over the course of a year or two than Orton, if certain improvements are made.

I think the relationship between the Bears and Orton is toxic and he will be cut, despite a huge payout that will be due him.

Again, not an ideal option, but a worthwhile one if he's cut and can be picked up without a trade, and at a reduced salary.

I just don't see any better options out there.

22. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014),BuffaloRedleg (12-17-2014),The Beef (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    i dont even see that hes an upgrade over orton. plus hes a gay *****. not that hes actually gay i mean hes one of those stereotypical gay *****es. i have one in my drs office, theodore. everybody calls him theo and thats usually cool then all of a sudden he reminds you its theodore with a bit of huss in his voice and youre like oooo k. i told him he looked good after losing weight and under his breath he goes right in front of me 'that was a while ago but ok' and im like *****! lmao. so classic and thats him. thats cutler, the *****y gay guy who in this case isnt homosexual. at least as far as we know.
    Do you see what a good poster you could be if you just shut up about race? This is it. This could be you all the time.

24. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014),trapezeus (12-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    Do you see what a good poster you could be if you just shut up about race? This is it. This could be you all the time.
    That was your idea of a good post?

This explains a lot.

26. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-17-2014)

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Would love Cutler here, but with that contract, methinks not...If it can somehow be fixed then this team would be stupid not to at least try trade for him.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

28. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    That was your idea of a good post?

This explains a lot.
    Admittedly, the bar has been lowered by the 50-80 dissertations he's written in the past month about how black people are their own worst enemies.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    Nothing wrong with having a man crush on Cutler. He is a good looking dude with a big gun, but his contract demands and his attitude turn me off.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i talk about race bc it pisses me off so much to watch ppl like you keep screwing it up over and over again. should i have just shut up about race all those years i watched the old style racists i grew up around screw that up over and over again? i talk about it bc somebody has to, to keep reminding you numbnuts how you keep screwing it up. im never going to stop bc its my conscience that forces me to action. and ive told you this before, but if you dont like it you can **** off

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It is unbelievable how incapable of the most basic discussions some of you are capable of.

Nobody here is saying he's a great option. We're saying he's a better option than what we have.

It's your wedding anniversary and you forgot. It's 11PM, and the only thing open is a gas station. Sure those cheap flowers aren't a great option, but it's certainly better than walking home empty handed.

Those of you saying "Hell No" ought to come up with a better plan. I'll save you the time. There isn't.

I'm willing to hear arguments in favor of a lot of things, but unless Orton suddenly starts playing amazing and leads us to the playoffs I sure as hell am not going to even consider that EJ/Orton are acceptable going into next season.

33. Post thanked by:

streetkings01 (12-18-2014),WagonCircler (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cutler is a tool, aloof and an all round douche nozzle.

I would absolutely take him over Orton/EJ.

You put Cutler on this team, with this defense and you don't ask him to win each game by putting up 30 and you have a good shot at the playoffs.

There is a ton wrong with the Bears this year, including Cutler but he isn't the biggest problem. It starts with the defense, they're awful for the 2nd year in a row. That team has no heart either. Sure you can blame Cutler but what about Forte, Marshall or Jared Allen? FredJax and Meatball hold teammates accountable. We've seen some ugly football the last 15 years, a lot of bad football. There aren't a lot of games where i felt like the team quit. You watch the Bears, they quit almost every week.

For the Bills it's a great gamble. To go into next year with Orton and EJ is going to leave the fan base restless, not to mention what it might do to the defense and skill players psyche on offense. So the Bills should be in play in a veteran QB who hits the market. That list will look something like Griffin, Bradford, Locker, Hoyer, and Sanchez. Foles might be available via trade and it's a safe bet that none of those are a sure fire upgrade.

Cutler shouldn't cost a king's ransom. He is what he is, and he may have worn out his welcome in Chicago. I would try and flip a third rounder for him. No first round pick this year lets you ride with Jay and if he takes us to the playoffs great, if not his contract is easy to get out of after 2016. A 2 year window is worth the pick. I wouldn't mind Foles but I doubt the Eagles move him, and a play for Griffin or Bradford is more or less a prayer. They are both talented, but brittle and are far from elite players.

Orton has lost all his swagger and confidence. That guy came in fresh not having taken any hits, after taking a couple beatings this year you can see the difference.

I absolutely think Cutler is a grade a jerkoff. He is the new Jeff George, but he has the arm talent and in a system the doesn't ask him to win shoot outs every week, he might actually improve. This is a great buy low spot. You essentially have him for 2 years and then virtually no guaranteed money starting in 2017.

It's a crime if you don't do everything you can to put a QB that can help win games I this team. This defense is as good as you can hope for in today's NFL, and there's a shelf life to these things. If the Bears are listening to offers Whaley has to at least make a call.

35. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (12-17-2014)