Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Really Want A New Stadium With A Dome?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Do You Really Want A New Stadium With A Dome?

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
    AMEN!!

Coming from someone (ME) who has not missed a home game in 14 straight seasons sitting out in the cold freaking BLOWS!!!!!! SICK OF IT.

I went to the Detroit game and I can tell you the home field advantage we get from the noise of a dome is a HELL of a lot more than cold weather.

Do the people who talk as if the cold is an advantage to the Bills ever sit back and realize that 90% of our own players come from the south and are not used to the cold weather? THINK PEOPLE.
    Coincidence? I think not...the 'smoking gun' has been discovered...
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

there is no way Pegula and/or the state/county will build a stadium to only be used 10 times a year. It will be a multi use facility that can be used for large conventions and other events and likely tie together all the new stuff going on canal side and harbor center.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I can't see how a new stadium is in the cards for WNY, unless it's a privately-funded venture.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,339 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Retractable. It's the best we can hope for.

The question is no longer 'Will there be a new stadium', it's when and, to a much lesser degree, where. This is a done deal.

I'm totally with the OP on what football is and should be. But I'd rather have some of that than another cookie cutter Ford Field. That would be a nightmare scenario.

A retractable 60,000 seat stadium would ensure sellouts, even with the inevitable price increases.

I also honestly believe that the dome would be open for 80% of Bills home games.

Tailgating is going to die, unfortunately, but it is unchangeable. It has to with the modern NFL economics. It sucks, but it is what it is. And if it has to be, then at least with a retractable dome we'd get football under the sky, instead of some sterile indoor version of it.
    retractable stadiums are never open.

I was invited to a retractable dome stadium for an NFL game. I was visiting family in arizona they took me to a cardinals game. It was in november, it was 78F no wind, not a cloud in the sky. The dome was not open. If you won't open the dome on that type of day you'll never open the dome. Retractable domes just add an extra B to the price of a stadium and never get used.

I want an outdoor stadium with natural grass field, put it off a major thoroughfare like the 190 or 290. I'd like it on the waterfront but even off of the Erie Canal in NT would be pretty cool (you'd have to improve the roads to a NT stadium though). there is lots of real estate in the city something like this could be put. Put it in cheektowaga off the 290/90 interchange. lots of easy access around there and plenty of open space. It doesn't HAVE to be part of a waterfront rehab project. If you put it on the waterfront you'll have to kill the skyway (finally) which would make putting it on the waterfront worth it if only to do that.

I can live with a dome. I wouldn't like it, but i could live with it. I just don't want them wasting their $$ on a retractable dome monstrosity.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

5. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (12-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Downtown dome stadium or no new stadium at all. I want to sit in a nice climate controlled place.

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If they build the stadium on the waterfront like so many have been clamoring for, IT WILL have to be a dome or retractable roof IT'S THE ONLY WAY! the way the wind & snow blows off the lake in winter and also the wind chill without a dome or retractable roof stadium you would get frostbite or hypothermia in a hurry. Trust me I've been to tons of Sabres games and I park in a small lot off of Seneca St. and walking to the arena when the wind is blowing it feels like 10,000 knives are being stabbed into you.
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 12-19-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    If a new stadium is built in downtown Buffalo, is Terry Pegula going to pull a magic wand out of his ass and fill corporate luxury boxes with businesses and fans that don't exist?

A new stadium needs new forms of revenue to pay for it. The corporate dollars aren't there, and a new stadium isn't going to magically create something out of nothing.

Fans that sit in the 200 level, "Club Section," at Ralph Wilson Stadium are the red seats that are often more than half empty, but they don't count as official seats to be a sellout.

These are premium tickets that go for about $100 a game, with heated seats, heat lamps above, a huge bar, and basically no wait time to take a leak, but the Bills still can't sell those seats out.

The market dictates.
    My god. You people must be ******ed to think that there aren't enough businesses interested in the Bills to fill luxury boxes. Companies buy them just to give them away to their customers and employees. Get a clue.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    I can't see how a new stadium is in the cards for WNY, unless it's a privately-funded venture.
    Pegula has said the NFL made it clear to him that Buffalo needed a new stadium.

He said a new Stadium will be built.

I think funding will come from multiple sources, Pegula, the NFL, County & State.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Pegula has said the NFL made it clear to him that Buffalo needed a new stadium.

He said a new Stadium will be built.

I think funding will come from multiple sources, Pegula, the NFL, County & State.
    IMO, it will be 25% Pegula, 25% Erie County, 25% State and 25% NFL.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
    You like sitting on fences.

The Bills don't need a new stadium. The Ralph is a gem, let's keep it and not have some slimeball politicians negotiate a new stadium with future tax increases under our noses.

I hope Roger Goodell retires and a new NFL Commissioner takes charge who will command a more American approach compared to Roger Goodell's Russian like dictates.

Goodell may as well be Vladimir Putin holding a gun up against our heads, saying, "Build a new stadium or else, Buffalo!"

Why doesn't Miami get the same 3rd degree type treatment?

Why not Kansas City?

Why not Green Bay?

A $130 million renovation was not enough for Roger Goodell.

Why not?

What more do the Bills need?

Do they need more television screens?

More corporate boxes they can't sell out as it is?

What gives?

Why is the NFL trying to force the Buffalo Bills to build a new stadium?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You like sitting on fences.

The Bills don't need a new stadium. The Ralph is a gem, let's keep it and not have some slimeball politicians negotiate a new stadium with future tax increases under our noses.
    Whether you like it or not, there will be a new stadium. Get used to it.

I only hope we can preserve some of our local character with a retractible roof, because indoor football is repulsive and fake.

As to your comments about scumbag politicians, etc., they wouldn't be the ones doing the development.

That would be Mr. Pegula. Az-zholes here can criticize him for the Sabres' record in the short time that he's owned the team, but one he is a first class operator. I spent a few hours at Canalside today. It's ****ing spectacular.

Walking up from Pearl Street, it feels like you're looking at a different city. The replica bridges. The new and refurbished hotels. And best of all--people. Hundreds and hundreds of people.

It's amazing, and it will be even more amazing when there's a football stadium within walking distance.

13. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-21-2014),better days (12-21-2014),DetDannyWilliams (12-20-2014),Mace (12-20-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I only hope we can preserve some of our local character with a retractible roof, because indoor football is repulsive and fake.

As to your comments about scumbag politicians, etc., they wouldn't be the ones doing the development.

That would be Mr. Pegula. Az-zholes here can criticize him for the Sabres' record in the short time that he's owned the team, but one he is a first class operator. I spent a few hours at Canalside today. It's ****ing spectacular.

Walking up from Pearl Street, it feels like you're looking at a different city. The replica bridges. The new and refurbished hotels. And best of all--people. Hundreds and hundreds of people.

It's amazing, and it will be even more amazing when there's a football stadium within walking distance.
    You know, it really is amazing, and the chance for a crown jewel.

It's a phenomenal cold weather attraction, catching fire in the summer with Silo City and such. If they put in that final piece in the right place....I might really think Buffalo finally did this right once and for all, emphatically.

15. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (12-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
    Well, the NFL share is firmly established at $150mil, so that makes the budget $600mil. Don't think that's enough to buy a dome in today's dollars, unless you plan on roofing it with blue tarps and bungee cords.

Also, the state is going to try to go cheap...you know damn well their study is going to recommend Orchard Park as the site, regardless of how much sense it makes for Pegula to put it downtown.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Well, the NFL share is firmly established at $150mil, so that makes the budget $600mil. Don't think that's enough to buy a dome in today's dollars, unless you plan on roofing it with blue tarps and bungee cords.

Also, the state is going to try to go cheap...you know damn well their study is going to recommend Orchard Park as the site, regardless of how much sense it makes for Pegula to put it downtown.
    If traffic is a problem, people will not want to go to a game in downtown Buffalo if it takes them 3 hours to get home.

Congestion matters.

Compared to Orchard Park, Buffalo is a traffic nightmare waiting to happen.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post

Hire Larry Quinn for the stadium and they will be awesome bungee cords and tarps people will envy when deployed. Just make sure security gets him out of there the moment it is done though and don't give him a chance to weasel another job out of it.

19. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-20-2014),YardRat (12-20-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pegula is responsible for HarborCenter and some grass fields that he donated to Erie County. Canalside is publically funded and run by Erie county harbor development corporation. They did farm out programming to an out of state company.

I would say this though, without Pegula making a strong commitment to downtown, all this other development would be nothing more than speculation. He kicked off the domino effect that netted us the Ohio st. Project, River works, and other private projects.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If traffic is a problem, people will not want to go to a game in downtown Buffalo if it takes them 3 hours to get home.

Congestion matters.

Compared to Orchard Park, Buffalo is a traffic nightmare waiting to happen.
    Niagara Falls would have been a traffic nightmare.

A new Stadium will not be built tomorrow.

Maybe mass transit improves in Buffalo before the Stadium is built?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Amos View Post
    Pegula is responsible for HarborCenter and some grass fields that he donated to Erie County. Canalside is publically funded and run by Erie county harbor development corporation. They did farm out programming to an out of state company.

I would say this though, without Pegula making a strong commitment to downtown, all this other development would be nothing more than speculation. He kicked off the domino effect that netted us the Ohio st. Project, River works, and other private projects.
    Without Pegula, the space where HarborPlace stands is still a parking lot, and politicians are still trying to woo Bass Pro to the Aud site, which would still be a ditch with no prospects.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    retractable stadiums are never open.

I was invited to a retractable dome stadium for an NFL game. I was visiting family in arizona they took me to a cardinals game. It was in november, it was 78F no wind, not a cloud in the sky. The dome was not open. If you won't open the dome on that type of day you'll never open the dome. Retractable domes just add an extra B to the price of a stadium and never get used.

I want an outdoor stadium with natural grass field, put it off a major thoroughfare like the 190 or 290. I'd like it on the waterfront but even off of the Erie Canal in NT would be pretty cool (you'd have to improve the roads to a NT stadium though). there is lots of real estate in the city something like this could be put. Put it in cheektowaga off the 290/90 interchange. lots of easy access around there and plenty of open space. It doesn't HAVE to be part of a waterfront rehab project. If you put it on the waterfront you'll have to kill the skyway (finally) which would make putting it on the waterfront worth it if only to do that.

I can live with a dome. I wouldn't like it, but i could live with it. I just don't want them wasting their $$ on a retractable dome monstrosity.
    YES. This absurd idea about keeping the roof open in the cold for a home field advantage has been floating around for some time. Of all the stadium scenarios, this one has the smallest chance of becoming a reality, and its not even close. Zero percent chance. Not even 0.00001%. ZERO.

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

something to keep in mind also...when the lease runs out in 2024 the stadium will be 51 yrs. old