Thread: Bills Fans Be Like: We don't want to screw up the QB position...lets do nothing!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills Fans Be Like: We don't want to screw up the QB position...lets do nothing!

Seriously... The organization has taken that approach to until it finally got the nerve to address QB with the first pick in a year where there was no first round QB which is just tragically very Billsie...

Anyways, I was talking about QB's and I swear to god I don't know what it is that'd make this fan base happy but it's almost like some don't want EJ or Orton or anybody else we can realistically get... But the thing is we HAVE to do something even if that something is keeping the two we have and rolling with that.

Cutler: "He throws interceptions and isn't a leader!" Yeah, but he's better than what we got but a recent poll concludes over 60% of fans dont want him? SMH

Keapernick: "He sucks in the pocket and can't read a defense!" Yeah, but hes got a better arm than EJ who is even worse at reading a defense and we don't have a pocket so he wont have one in which to suck and he's better than what we got!

Bradford: "He's had one good year and can't stay healthy." Yeah, but he's better than what we got.

RGIII: "He can't stay healthy and hasn't done anything since his first year!" This one's actually pretty spot on...

But the point is it seems like this organization has been so scared to screw the position up that they do everything they can to avoid addressing it...It's gotta be addressed this off season. Doing nothing isn't an option.

2. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (12-20-2014),trapezeus (12-20-2014)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills Fans Be Like: We don't want to screw up the QB position...lets do nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Seriously... The organization has taken that approach to until it finally got the nerve to address QB with the first pick in a year where there was no first round QB which is just tragically very Billsie...

Anyways, I was talking about QB's and I swear to god I don't know what it is that'd make this fan base happy but it's almost like some don't want EJ or Orton or anybody else we can realistically get... But the thing is we HAVE to do something even if that something is keeping the two we have and rolling with that.

Cutler: "He throws interceptions and isn't a leader!" Yeah, but he's better than what we got but a recent poll concludes over 60% of fans dont want him? SMH

Keapernick: "He sucks in the pocket and can't read a defense!" Yeah, but hes got a better arm than EJ who is even worse at reading a defense and we don't have a pocket so he wont have one in which to suck and he's better than what we got!

Bradford: "He's had one good year and can't stay healthy." Yeah, but he's better than what we got.

RGIII: "He can't stay healthy and hasn't done anything since his first year!" This one's actually pretty spot on...

But the point is it seems like this organization has been so scared to screw the position up that they do everything they can to avoid addressing it...It's gotta be addressed this off season. Doing nothing isn't an option.
    "We should trade a high pick for a relatively unknown QB who had that one good game!" ---> Rob Johnson
    "We should trade a high pick for a veteran QB that can win, that way we know what we're getting!" ---> Drew Bledsoe
    "We should trade up for one of the top QBs in this years draft!" ---> JP Losman
    "Let's scour the globe and see if we can find a gem!" ---> Doug Flutie
    "Let's sign that FA QB, who cares if he's injury prone!" ---> Kevin Kolb
    "We need to draft a QB, I don't care if the pundits say there isn't a franchise QB available!" ---> EJ Manuel
    "Why not take a shot on the guy? He's started for X team and showed some good things!" ---> Ryan Fitzpatrick
    "We can find a gem in the middle rounds of the draft!" ---> Trent Edwards

You can't say this team doesn't try things to address the QB position. They're just not good at it.

4. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (12-19-2014),Buffalo Thriller (12-19-2014),Lone Stranger (12-19-2014),Night Train (12-20-2014),OpIv37 (12-19-2014),TacklingDummy (12-20-2014),YardRat (12-19-2014),Yasgur's Farm (12-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills Fans Be Like: We don't want to screw up the QB position...lets do nothing!

they've actually tried several times. They brought in Kolb and drafted EJ and brought in Thad. That didn't work so they brought in Orton. They might have not gotten it right or fixed it yet, but they certainly didn't avoid addressing it.

6. Post thanked by:

better days (12-19-2014),YardRat (12-19-2014),Yasgur's Farm (12-19-2014)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The jury is still out on EJ yet.

And just because you don't like what we have, does not mean anybody else is better.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (12-19-2014),YardRat (12-19-2014),Yasgur's Farm (12-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post

And just because you don't like what we have, does not mean anybody else is better.
    I hear the jury is 11-1 that EJ is a bust and they're really putting pressure on that 1 holdout, showing him game films to get him to go with them.

10. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-19-2014),sudzy (12-20-2014),TacklingDummy (12-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,553 Times in 17,439 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

None of the ones you listed are better than what we have.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have extreme faith in EJ. He took his benching well, he had the right attitude about it. Almost as if he knew he wasn't ready. He took notes, played backup to an older vet(Which imo was desperately needed). I also think back to week 1, when the announcers talked about EJ going out of his way in the offseason to talk to more than a handful of active QBs who have had success or some success in this league. I don't remember it all, but I do remember him asking Manning about play action, Kaepernick or Wilson about read option etc etc.

It's clear this guy has the drive to be a winner. I really hope I'm right. Either way if Orton finishes strong, he will start next year most likely. Then look for that new QB money to be spent on the offensive line.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i have faith the bills will bring in a new starting qb for 2015

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

LOL. Just LOL.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    i have faith the bills will bring in a new starting qb for 2015
    roulette.jpg
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Doing nothing is the ONLY option. None of those losers are good enough to win. We have limited draft picks as it is. We have a lot of cap room but also a lot of guys who will need new contracts if we want to keep them.

You are talking about using limited resources on bad choices. I don't like the current QB situation, but our need for a qb doesn't make a good option available. Going after any of those guys is going to set this franchise back.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cutler when his head is on straight = a more mobile, slightly weaker armed Jeff George -> right now his head is NOT on straight and i'd take Kyle Orton over this year's version of Cutler. I'll be honest with you. 5 years ago i didn't want Cutler when denver was shopping him because he's a locker room cancer. Right now i don't want him because he's not even good enough to argue being a locker room cancer is something you can live with. If you can promise me we'd be getting cutler from 3 years ago i'd take a flier on him because he'd be better then anything on our roster and i'd be willing to put up with his whinny coach killing jerkiness. This team really is just missing a QB to contend and cutler from 3 years ago was good enough to plug in for a season or two. The cutler from the last two years is NOT good enough to justify giving away ANYTHING more then a 4th round pick. If we can get him for a 4th, sure, trade for him. otherwise pass.

Kaepernick: this is the one option i sorta like. He's basically the guy the bills deluded themselves into thinking EJ was. Now thats not to say he's not limited. But with the right scheme, and the right OC he can do a LOT to help a team win. in the wrong scheme however, he would be a worse option then Orton. I would take Kaepernick if i knew we were trading hackett for someone who can run a read-option offense.

Bradford: I actually like sam bradford, and if the price is right (4th round or lower) i'd trade for him. It's not that i'd expect much, but it would be nice to bring in a guy who would be a more perminent solution then Orton and who could actually make use of some of our weapons. That said he is an injury magnet, and he doesn't play well behind bad offensive lines. So i'm not sure how much better an option he'd be over orton. likely he'd be just as infuriating just in different ways.

RGIII: no way in hell.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So, some critique those players and you have a problem? What about the constant critique of all our players, our coaches and the Front Office? If you read this board, they never seem to get ANYTHING correct. Yet we are 8-6 and really should be at least 9-5 or 10 and 4 if you factor in a couple of poorly called games by the zebras.

The only problem I have with three of those players is the cost in terms of salaries or draft picks. If the price is right, sure, but we know what it's going to take. I wouldn't mind bringing Bradford in because he would be low risk and probably not garner a big investment. You're also assuming Manuel has not made any strides and that guys like Kaep, Griffin or Cutler would even want to play in Buffalo.

That's the funny thing about Bills' Fans. They think they know what goes on during player negotiations and blame our organization when they don't get what they want. Some players just don't want to come there because of the national perception of the city itself. We HAVE to overpay for players.

Do you think Peyton Manning would consider for one second playing in WNY?

I think not.

The highly touted Griffin and Cutler have not performed well for a couple of years, but somehow we think they are better than what we have. I give Kaep a pass because SF has suffered some big injuries and the locker room seems to be in disarray. He's a West Coast guy so he would probably cringe at the idea of playing in WNY. Too cold, Too much snow and wind. You want to go out and get a QB, go with someone like Cousins or Nassib. Low risk and both those guys are used to playing in crappy weather. I don't know what it would take to get them, but certainly way less than some of the QB's you mentioned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only juror that is still out on EJ is the Ostrich with his head in the sand. Let's move on.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i think posters have their opinions about particular guys but are open to risk with other qbs. I don't think anyone is against all free agents and EJ and orton.

The truth is that there is no obvious quick fix, and we are discussing the best option where each one has obvious flaws.

I think we need to see who the OC is and what their strengths are. Then select one based on the Qbs he's worked with in past.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bradford has been broken glass since his junior year at Oklahoma...yet I always thought he was accurate placing the ball and the victim of poor OL play leading to him getting crushed.

He's the one I'd gamble on, since his massive contract days are done. I don't like any of these mobile QB's who can't throw when forced to play from the pocket.

22. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (12-20-2014),YardRat (12-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Bradford has been broken glass since his junior year at Oklahoma...yet I always thought he was accurate placing the ball and the victim of poor OL play leading to him getting crushed.

He's the one I'd gamble on, since his massive contract days are done. I don't like any of these mobile QB's who can't throw when forced to play from the pocket.
    I haven't seen enough of him play, but this certainly sounds like a reasonable risk at the right price. But didn't I read that Jeff Fisher wanted him back?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Found it: LINK

Reading this, it sounds like the Rams feel they are a lot like the Bills - a team built to win just needing that franchise QB; a team on the verge of turning the corner.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    "We should trade a high pick for a relatively unknown QB who had that one good game!" ---> Rob Johnson
    "We should trade a high pick for a veteran QB that can win, that way we know what we're getting!" ---> Drew Bledsoe
    "We should trade up for one of the top QBs in this years draft!" ---> JP Losman
    "Let's scour the globe and see if we can find a gem!" ---> Doug Flutie
    "Let's sign that FA QB, who cares if he's injury prone!" ---> Kevin Kolb
    "We need to draft a QB, I don't care if the pundits say there isn't a franchise QB available!" ---> EJ Manuel
    "Why not take a shot on the guy? He's started for X team and showed some good things!" ---> Ryan Fitzpatrick
    "We can find a gem in the middle rounds of the draft!" ---> Trent Edwards

You can't say this team doesn't try things to address the QB position. They're just not good at it.

I agree we're not good at it. But Flutie was a gem for as long as we kept him, and Trent Edwards was a middle rounds gem until he got hurt.

I would take Kaperneck, and Bradford in a heartbeat. Just not high on Cutler.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    I agree we're not good at it. But Flutie was a gem for as long as we kept him, and Trent Edwards was a middle rounds gem until he got hurt.

I would take Kaperneck, and Bradford in a heartbeat. Just not high on Cutler.
    Look back Flutie and Edwards weren't gems. They were game managers who played with above average defenses. Orton is doing the same thing but he's affinity to turn the ball over and/or stall in the red zone is what is holding him/the offense back. That's why I say keep our defense together, improve the offensive line in front of Orton and find him a reliable target in the passing game (see Jordan Cameron) and we could be a 10-12 game winner next year. As improving the offensive line will also help the run game which in turn should help the red zone offense too. Granted we may need to find a guy who we can count on to give Fred Jackson a rest but I think a day 2 draft pick should be able to bring that. As I think Spiller's injury has been a bigger than any of us would want to admit to. As sure there were times he got stuffed for 2 yard losses and or only mustered one or two yards when we needed more. Yet he was able to brak off big plays now and then. I mean we're so soon to forget that play he got hurt in against Minnesota was a 53 yard scamper.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 12-21-2014 at 07:33 AM.

27. Post thanked by:

imbondz (12-21-2014)