Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Keep This Simple -- Tell Marrone That He Needs to Replace Hackett or Fire Him

SpikedLemonade

Let's Keep This Simple -- Tell Marrone That He Needs to Replace Hackett or Fire Him

There is no way this offense improves under an amateur like Hackett.

I am willing to give Marrone more time but the truth is that the areas that he is supposed to be good in -- O and OL -- suck and the areas he is hands off -- the D -- are great.

He is clearly benefiting from our disproportionate talent, drafting and spending on D.

We will be 8-8 and that may give him confidence, but he has done very little to win games himself.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-23-2014),Mace (12-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,408 Times in 7,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Let's Keep This Simple -- Tell Marrone That He Needs to Replace Hackett or Fire H

I could live with that. If Hacketts back next year I'll just start looking forward to 2016

4. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Let's Keep This Simple -- Tell Marrone That He Needs to Replace Hackett or Fire H

If I'm Pegula and sitting down with Marrone after the season, here's what I'd tell him:

First of all, fix the damn offense. This is a playoff team with even an average offense. Maybe it's not all his fault, but here's some money to fire Hackett and replace him with a legitimate OC. Here's some more cash, find an OL coach. If you don't trust your offense to pick up 4th and 2 or less in opponents' territory to win games, that's a problem that you need to resolve. Because that's happened multiple times this year. You've had two free agencies, two drafts with a number of offensive draft picks, all to get your guys to run this offense. And it sucks. Which means you guys need to improve the coaching, period.

Here's some more cash. Give Schwartz and the defensive guys a raise, tell them to keep doing what they're doing.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

6. Post thanked by:

better days (12-22-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone is Hacketts' boss. That is where the buck stops. He could have taken over the reins, he could have delegated Hacketts' duties.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (12-22-2014),Mr. Cynical (12-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

None of this has to do w Hackett

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Do you really want to do that though? What does that say about your coach if you to essentially coerce him into firing his OC? That's not an endorsement of the HC, you basically don't care if he's the HC so you might as well fire him and move on.

11. Post thanked by:

better days (12-22-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by wmoz11 View Post
    OK.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    Do you really want to do that though? What does that say about your coach if you to essentially coerce him into firing his OC? That's not an endorsement of the HC, you basically don't care if he's the HC so you might as well fire him and move on.
    Marrone made a ******ed choice with Hackett.

Yeah moving on from Marrone would not be the end of the world.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (12-22-2014),djjimkelly (12-21-2014),Mace (12-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    OK.
    It's really easy to blame a playcaller - that's low-hanging fruit. The real issue is that we have the worst starting QB in the NFL. There are a select few of you that get pissed when Orton throws a 20-yard pass on 3rd and 2. For some reason, you don't realize that Hackett (and OCs in general) don't dictate where QBs throw. Watkins runs wide open almost every play and Orton chooses to throw a 2-yard out and somehow Bills fans blame Hackett.

There needs to be some required all-22 watching for some of you. We have WRs running open and Orton waiting and waiting and then checking down for no reason other than his ultra-conservative nature or fear.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for Marrone and Hackett being gone. But it seems like a lot of Bills fans are so hyper focused on where the ball goes as opposed to where it should go based on what's open.

tl;dr - Orton is slow, a poor decision maker, and afraid of making a mistake.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

3rd and 22.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Marrone is Hacketts' boss. That is where the buck stops. He could have taken over the reins, he could have delegated Hacketts' duties.

This.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's really easy to blame a playcaller - that's low-hanging fruit. The real issue is that we have the worst starting QB in the NFL. There are a select few of you that get pissed when Orton throws a 20-yard pass on 3rd and 2. For some reason, you don't realize that Hackett (and OCs in general) don't dictate where QBs throw. Watkins runs wide open almost every play and Orton chooses to throw a 2-yard out and somehow Bills fans blame Hackett.

There needs to be some required all-22 watching for some of you. We have WRs running open and Orton waiting and waiting and then checking down for no reason other than his ultra-conservative nature or fear.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for Marrone and Hackett being gone. But it seems like a lot of Bills fans are so hyper focused on where the ball goes as opposed to where it should go based on what's open.

Huh?

If OCs don't tell a qb to pass to that chap or hand off the ball to that mate, what do they do, then?

19. Post thanked by:

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have to disagree here, the OC does dictate the throws through game plan, plays and reads, all-22 shows you there are reads dependent on plays and dictate drops, the QB doesn't just fall back and find the open guy if he's not part of the playcall.

I hardly think the not good Orton is the worst starting QB in the league, and you wouldn't either if you are paying attention to the starting QB's in the league.

You just said Bills fans are hyper focused on where the ball goes as opposed to who is open, and that's just wrong, NFL offenses are all about where the ball goes and not sandlot football based on who is open.

21. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

OCs call plays relating to what they see from a defense. The QB makes the reads based on what coverage/front he sees. Why are you confused? You think the OC tells the QB where to throw?

- - - Updated - - -

Huh?

If OCs don't tell a qb to pass to that chap or hand off the ball to that mate, what do they do, then?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On traditional passing plays, yes, the QB determines where to throw. But there are also a number of plays designed to get the ball to one guy. Screens, e.g. I recall a 3rd and 10 where Orton passed 1 yard to Hogan, who was immediately tackled. There were receivers who weren't even looking for the pass downfield, they were ready to block - that's a clearly designed play. Raiders had a bunch of plays designed to get guys open, and they worked.

I haven't looked at the All-22, so you could very well be correct that Orton is overlooking wide open players. But at what point do the coaches then either need to 1) put Manuel back in, 2) tell Orton to throw to the open receivers. If a player is that bad at doing his job, why is he allowed to do it when he's at the most important position in the NFL?

24. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    On traditional passing plays, yes, the QB determines where to throw. But there are also a number of plays designed to get the ball to one guy. Screens, e.g. I recall a 3rd and 10 where Orton passed 1 yard to Hogan, who was immediately tackled. There were receivers who weren't even looking for the pass downfield, they were ready to block - that's a clearly designed play. Raiders had a bunch of plays designed to get guys open, and they worked.

I haven't looked at the All-22, so you could very well be correct that Orton is overlooking wide open players. But at what point do the coaches then either need to 1) put Manuel back in, 2) tell Orton to throw to the open receivers. If a player is that bad at doing his job, why is he allowed to do it when he's at the most important position in the NFL?
    They know that Orton is missing wide open WRs. We have seen WRs/TEs running open and not receiving the ball. You can't tell a veteran to "throw the ball to the open guy." If he was capable of doing that consistently, we wouldn't be questioning him, the OC, and whether or not Manuel should be in.

They just don't think that Manuel can do any better and that's fine - I have no way of arguing that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They know that Orton is missing wide open WRs. We have seen WRs/TEs running open and not receiving the ball. You can't tell a veteran to "throw the ball to the open guy." If he was capable of doing that consistently, we wouldn't be questioning him, the OC, and whether or not Manuel should be in.

They just don't think that Manuel can do any better and that's fine - I have no way of arguing that.
    I think we can lose to the Raiders with Manuel about as well as we can with Orton. It's the coaches' job to figure out why he isn't throwing to open receivers. If it's confidence, then find some plays he's comfortable with that can fix it. If it's vision, then help him with his reads. At some point the OC needs to work with Orton to use an offense that works. This is not working.

27. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Are you ****ing funning me boy?

29. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

OCs call plays relating to what they see from a defense. The QB makes the reads based on what coverage/front he sees. Why are you confused? You think the OC tells the QB where to throw?

- - - Updated - - -
    In this offense. Yes. It's so obvious these are one read plays.

SpikedLemonade

It has been two years now and Hackett has shown he can't do it.

We will have a poor QB situation next year as well.

Hackett will fail again.

We need to give an experienced OC an opportunity next year.

32. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (12-23-2014)