• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmoon6
    Legendary Zoner
    • Dec 2002

Re: Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
    What does Marrone even do for this team? The defense is all Jim Schwartz, I doubt Marrone does much of anything there. He's donea good job bringing in good DC's , but he's an offense guy and this team's offense is historically bad. He's a former OL coach and our OL is the worst in the league. The amount of stupid penalties this team has taken is way up under him as well, so there's not even discipline from our players.

I mean seriously, what's the point of keeping Marrone? The only positive skill I can take from the guy in his two years here is that he's good at hiring DCs.

I'm not a Gailey fan, but at least he was an offensive guy who got players on offense to overachieve. We actually looked like a competent NFL offense with mediocre talent on that side of the ball, and Marrone/Hackett are doing less with more.
    So, if a unit plays well, it's because of the coordinator and another doesn't, it's the HC. I disliked some of the play calling, but you have to hold some of the players accountable. The O-Line constantly missed blocks in both the running game and the passing game. You had a rookie at RT and sub par guards, so it's no wonder that our running game fizzled even with Fred Jackson, who was obviously not 100% after the injury. I'm not a C.J fan, he seems to go down too easy despite making an occasional game breaking play. How long has the O-Line been playing together again? That unit specifically takes time to develop.

Forgive me if I don't put much credence in Bills' Fans assessment of coaches. They rode Gilbride out on a rail (not really a fan of his) and then he goes on to win two Super Bowls with the Giants.

A coach is only as good as his players. We need better pass protection and a couple of nasty guards.....and a QB. You think Adam Gates or Josh McDaniels are great OCs'? No, they are successful because of their players and QBs'.

Bottom line is all this complaining is part of the Modern American psyche. Don't get what you want immediately and the crying begins. Don't make the playoffs after two years of a new HC and program and off with their heads. Constant turnover has been one of our problems, but let's keep doing it until we win the SB within two years of a new regime. We can go into the psychological aspects of the modern NFL fan, but that would require too much time.

Shame really.

I doubt any of you would be employed if you were but under a microscope by a bunch of people that know nothing about your profession except for wins and losses.

Results, Kemosabe. Improvement and competitiveness mean nothing. If our gladiators don't win in the arena, there must be something terribly wrong.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
      So, if a unit plays well, it's because of the coordinator and another doesn't, it's the HC. I disliked some of the play calling, but you have to hold some of the players accountable. The O-Line constantly missed blocks in both the running game and the passing game. You had a rookie at RT and sub par guards, so it's no wonder that our running game fizzled even with Fred Jackson, who was obviously not 100% after the injury. I'm not a C.J fan, he seems to go down too easy despite making an occasional game breaking play. How long has the O-Line been playing together again? That unit specifically takes time to develop.

Forgive me if I don't put much credence in Bills' Fans assessment of coaches. They rode Gilbride out on a rail (not really a fan of his) and then he goes on to win two Super Bowls with the Giants.

A coach is only as good as his players. We need better pass protection and a couple of nasty guards.....and a QB. You think Adam Gates or Josh McDaniels are great OCs'? No, they are successful because of their players and QBs'.

Bottom line is all this complaining is part of the Modern American psyche. Don't get what you want immediately and the crying begins. Don't make the playoffs after two years of a new HC and program and off with their heads. Constant turnover has been one of our problems, but let's keep doing it until we win the SB within two years of a new regime. We can go into the psychological aspects of the modern NFL fan, but that would require too much time.

Shame really.

I doubt any of you would be employed if you were but under a microscope by a bunch of people that know nothing about your profession except for wins and losses.

Results, Kemosabe. Improvement and competitiveness mean nothing. If our gladiators don't win in the arena, there must be something terribly wrong.
      Don't confuse them with facts, p... they're too busy lumping together 15 years of failure to see just how close we are.

While there is room for improvement in quite a few areas on this team, the bottom line is that a lack of quality Quarterback play is the reason we don't find ourselves in the playoffs. All conversations need to start (and most should end) with that point.

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post

Shame really.

You want to hold players accountable? Sure, Urbik and Pears are garbage. But, they were never this bad under Gailey. Glenn/Wood go from consensus fringe pro bowl players to every bills fan and all of a sudden they're having awful years as well? Let's not forget that 4/5 of the players starting on the line right now were here under Gailey and they were never this bad. Gailey at least found a way to hide the holes on the line, something this staff can't do.

And no, it's not if a unit is playing well it's because of the HC. It's if their unit is. The only accountability Sean Payton will have when it comes to how terrible the Saints defense is in his decision to hire Rob Ryan to oversee it. By the same token, Rob Ryan got credited with the success of that defense last year. The same situation applies here. The only credit Marrone deserves for this defense is making good hires in Pettine and Schwartz. His speciality is offense, and specifically the OL which are by far the biggest weaknesses of this team.

You can hold players accountable all you want, but the fact is that coaches should be putting them in a position to succeed. How many OCs did Alex Smith go through before he looked like a competent NFL QB? Philip Rivers gets written off by the rest of the NFL as declining after a couple off years until he gets Mike McCoy and he's suddenly elite again. How many times does Seantrel Henderson need to be left on an island with Justin Tuck/Khalil Mack before the coaches realize that's a terrible idea?

How is it that Chan Gailey can get more out of players like Craig Urbik and Erik Pears than someone who is supposed to be an OL guru?
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Are we really using Chan ****ing Gailey as a benchmark now?

Oye Vey!

This team has shown steady improvement over Marrone's tenure here. I think he gets another year at least, if he replaces Hackett.

And Whaley better be beating the bushes for some answer at QB.

I mean come on guys....it even took Levy three years to build his team.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Are we really using Chan ****ing Gailey as a benchmark now?

Oye Vey!

This team has shown steady improvement over Marrone's tenure here. I think he gets another year at least, if he replaces Hackett.

And Whaley better be beating the bushes for some answer at QB.

I mean come on guys....it even took Levy three years to build his team.
            I still think Hackett stays. Pat Morris, the OL Coach, will be the casualty and possibly Tyrone Wheatley (RB Coach) as well.

I think the biggest worry right now is that somebody goes after Schwartz for a HC gig in the off-season.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Spartacus
              • Mar 2003

If I was Pegula, I'd fire Brandon, Whaley, Marrone and Hackett and give Schwart2 the HC job.

Then go out and hire the best up and comer as GM, telling him that it's his job to give the HC what he needs to win. None of this "I want my own guy as HC" crap.

Schwart2 really impressed me this year with his guts and shemes and especially his demeanor.

The players obviously like to play for him, so you're not ripping up what's already there.

And we need a better qb.
              Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 12-22-2014, 05:26 AM.
              My tebya razdavim

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Well, taking any emotion out of the reply...

Yes, Marrone deserves to stay for a third season, the team has shown improvement over his two season tenure even though it hasn't been drastically supported by the W-L column. Year 1, and into Year 2 the defense continued to get better. Year 2, the Special Teams improved. The organization now needs to continue building and see similar improvement on the offensive side of the ball for Year 3, and if the past couple of seasons are any indication it's something that we should actually expect. Everybody knew when Marrone came on board the defense sucked, and it was addressed. Everybody knew last season the ST's sucked and it was addressed. Everybody knows the offense blows and the team is thin on talent at QB and on the oline, so it will most likely be addressed.

I'm with DraftBoy's post, the front office (unless Brandon leaves on his own, which I expect if not this year then next) will stay intact, and the coaching staff will probably remain the same except for Morris, although IMO Hackett and Downing need to be put through some extensive scrutiny this off-season. Yeah, I know I'm not a coach on the sidelines with shiny credentials and a resume but I know enough about line schemes that there were way too many times when I wondered why in the hell the linemen were making certain steps or reads, enough to be pretty confident that a good portion of the issue with the trench is Morris flat out sucks.

Putting emotion back into the equation, I'm still pissed at the sonofa***** for not having the team amped for yesterday's game and drowning any opportunity we had left for the playoffs, and it's a hard lesson the bastard better have learned from.
                Last edited by YardRat; 12-22-2014, 05:26 AM.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                  If I was Pegula, I'd fire Brandon, Whaley, Marrone and Hackett and give Schwart2 the HC job.

Then go out and hire the best up and comer as GM, telling him that it's his job to give the HC what he needs to win. None of this "I want my own guy as HC" crap.

Schwart2 really impressed me this year with his guts and shemes and especially his demeanor.

The players obviously like to play for him, so you're not ripping up what's already there.

And we need a better qb.
                  They probably have the best up-and-comer GM already on the staff in Whaley, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the rest of that plan if that's how it shakes out.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Spartacus
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    They probably have the best up-and-comer GM already on the staff in Whaley, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the rest of that plan if that's how it shakes out.
                    As long as Whaley understands it's not "his team".

Marrone and Hackett are both vanilla, Schwart2 is spicy. I really wonder what the dynamic between Schwart2 and Marrone is like. I bet Schwart2 has to hold his tongue a bunch...
                    My tebya razdavim

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                      chop chop
                      • Jun 2003

Like others have said, if he fires Hackett then I'd bring him back.
                      Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                        chop chop
                        • Jun 2003

and hell no to Whaley
                        Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Marrone and Hackett are both vanilla, Schwart2 is spicy. I really wonder what the dynamic between Schwart2 and Marrone is like. I bet Schwart2 has to hold his tongue a bunch...
                          Yeah, there were times this season I was getting the Mike Ditka/Buddy Ryan vibe.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Why exactly do we want to give Schwartz another shot at HC after his team basically self destructed and quit on him in Detroit?
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

I have no problem with Schwartz getting promoted, and in fact if Ralph were still alive, you know that would be the plan.

With the Pegulas I'm not so sure.

But consider this:

A. This is the best team the Bills have fielded in a long time, in year two of the latest re-build.

B. You can't hang the last 15 years on the current administration. Only this year and last.

It's been so long since we have been in the playoffs that people want to keep blowing it up when things don't work out quicker then we would like.

I expect the next level in 2015.

So tweek the team....but don't blow it up.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                                Peterman Sucks!
                                • Mar 2006

Marrone technically deserves to stay, the entire offensive and special teams staff deserves to be shown the door.

Comment

Working...
                                X