Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

I ask because I actually like the guy, BUT he built this OL and it was his decision to bring Hackett from college who had zero NFL experience as a coordinator. Those mistakes are big enough to cost a job IMO.

Our OL cost us games this year plain and simple. In fact this thread should also address whether Whaley should stay since he was clueless to think Chris Williams and no REAL plan at RG and RT were a solution for a team desperate for playoffs.

IMO both should go. And I say that with a lot of reluctance but I'm done with emotional views as a fan.

2. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

No

4. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yes but only if he hires a real offensive coordinator.

6. Post thanked by:

wozrob11 (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes, he and Whaley definitely deserve to stay at least one more year.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

8. Post thanked by:

Don't Panic (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Seriously, management is going to look at it like this team has improved under Marrone in his two years here. There is something to be said about continuity as well. Dunno who exactly would score enough points with this QB situation and o-line.

Taking a step back, I'd bet money that Marrone stays no matter what anybody says. A new guy wouldn't necessarily be an improvement, either.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think the entire staff stays, except for Pat Morris.

Same goes for the Front Office.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

11. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (12-22-2014),YardRat (12-22-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I think the entire staff stays, except for Pat Morris.

Same goes for the Front Office.
    The current FO will fawn and scrape and the new owner has no basis to decide, so they will stay. The coaching staff will also stay - I don't know this Pat Morris.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No. Doug Moron does not deserve to be a head coach for the Buffalo Bills next year.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

woo wooo chugga chugga

thats the marrone express steaming into town at least one more year

next stop: whotf knows
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    The current FO will fawn and scrape and the new owner has no basis to decide, so they will stay. The coaching staff will also stay - I don't know this Pat Morris.
    OL Coach

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We don't have a viable QB on the roster, Marrone's pick failed.

Most of the OL talent was already here when Marrone took the job, Gailey and Joe D worked miracles with guys like Pears and Urbik, unfortunately that hasn't been the case with this staff. OL is a combo of bad personnel decisions by the FO and coaching not getting the most out of the existing talent, something the last staff managed to do.

Here's an overlooked aspect of hiring new coordinators and OL coach, it's hard to do when others see you as a lame duck coach. Why hop on board a staff that may not be coaching a year from now? QB situation will be the same next year and its going to take a lot of money in FA to fix this OL. Marrone's in a tough spot, even if he wants to make changes he may not be able to hire capable coaches.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-22-2014 at 12:05 AM.

17. Post thanked by:

better days (12-22-2014),Lone Stranger (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What does Marrone even do for this team? The defense is all Jim Schwartz, I doubt Marrone does much of anything there. He's donea good job bringing in good DC's , but he's an offense guy and this team's offense is historically bad. He's a former OL coach and our OL is the worst in the league. The amount of stupid penalties this team has taken is way up under him as well, so there's not even discipline from our players.

I mean seriously, what's the point of keeping Marrone? The only positive skill I can take from the guy in his two years here is that he's good at hiring DCs.

I'm not a Gailey fan, but at least he was an offensive guy who got players on offense to overachieve. We actually looked like a competent NFL offense with mediocre talent on that side of the ball, and Marrone/Hackett are doing less with more.
    Last edited by Crisis; 12-22-2014 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

19. Post thanked by:

BillsFanInNM (12-22-2014),kingJofNYC (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Think you bring up a good point Crisis. We have good talent on D, any capable DC can get a lot out of that unit, and Marrone did a good job getting capable coaches on that side of the ball, something Gailey failed to do. On the flip side, Marrone's offensive players have regressed considerably since taking over and I think it's fair to say we have more talent on O than Gailey ever did.

Under Marrone we traded Steve Johnson away in order to bring Mike Williams, a guy that wasn't utilized after the Texans game. Spiller stunk the joint up in this system. EJ was thrown to the wolves, no QB coach year one, no sitting and learning, just go out and play rookie. Admittedly, that's not all on Marrone, front office did a poor job getting vets in here to play in front of EJ. They had no business drafting him in the first, pressure to play first round selections.

Our OL is a complete mess and our OL draft selections haven't made much of an impact on the field, Henderson aside but he basically played replacement level football. And our WRs have talent but it doesn't really matter when you don't have a capable QB or run game to take pressure off the receivers.

Bottom line, our O is worse than ever under Marrone, and it won't be much better next year unless drastic changes our made to the OL and QB position.

21. Post thanked by:

BillsFanInNM (12-22-2014),BillsImpossible (12-22-2014),Lone Stranger (12-22-2014)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post

Seriously, management is going to look at it like this team has improved under Marrone in his two years here. There is something to be said about continuity as well. Dunno who exactly would score enough points with this QB situation and o-line.

Taking a step back, I'd bet money that Marrone stays no matter what anybody says. A new guy wouldn't necessarily be an improvement, either.
    But..but ..but...we can go out and get Bill Cowher!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They have embraced mediocrity for 50 + years.

Why stop now, when a golden opportunity to improve with a new owner and a fresh vision is available ?

Just trot out the same, lame Offense and feature the D in all your marketing. 6-8 wins is what we expect for eternity.

A new OL coach, fresh lip service, maybe some pretty flowers outside the stadium...that should do it. ~ Brandon

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    What does Marrone even do for this team? The defense is all Jim Schwartz, I doubt Marrone does much of anything there. He's donea good job bringing in good DC's , but he's an offense guy and this team's offense is historically bad. He's a former OL coach and our OL is the worst in the league. The amount of stupid penalties this team has taken is way up under him as well, so there's not even discipline from our players.

I mean seriously, what's the point of keeping Marrone? The only positive skill I can take from the guy in his two years here is that he's good at hiring DCs.

I'm not a Gailey fan, but at least he was an offensive guy who got players on offense to overachieve. We actually looked like a competent NFL offense with mediocre talent on that side of the ball, and Marrone/Hackett are doing less with more.
    So, if a unit plays well, it's because of the coordinator and another doesn't, it's the HC. I disliked some of the play calling, but you have to hold some of the players accountable. The O-Line constantly missed blocks in both the running game and the passing game. You had a rookie at RT and sub par guards, so it's no wonder that our running game fizzled even with Fred Jackson, who was obviously not 100% after the injury. I'm not a C.J fan, he seems to go down too easy despite making an occasional game breaking play. How long has the O-Line been playing together again? That unit specifically takes time to develop.

Forgive me if I don't put much credence in Bills' Fans assessment of coaches. They rode Gilbride out on a rail (not really a fan of his) and then he goes on to win two Super Bowls with the Giants.

A coach is only as good as his players. We need better pass protection and a couple of nasty guards.....and a QB. You think Adam Gates or Josh McDaniels are great OCs'? No, they are successful because of their players and QBs'.

Bottom line is all this complaining is part of the Modern American psyche. Don't get what you want immediately and the crying begins. Don't make the playoffs after two years of a new HC and program and off with their heads. Constant turnover has been one of our problems, but let's keep doing it until we win the SB within two years of a new regime. We can go into the psychological aspects of the modern NFL fan, but that would require too much time.

Shame really.

I doubt any of you would be employed if you were but under a microscope by a bunch of people that know nothing about your profession except for wins and losses.

Results, Kemosabe. Improvement and competitiveness mean nothing. If our gladiators don't win in the arena, there must be something terribly wrong.

25. Post thanked by:

BillsFanInNM (12-22-2014),Don't Panic (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    So, if a unit plays well, it's because of the coordinator and another doesn't, it's the HC. I disliked some of the play calling, but you have to hold some of the players accountable. The O-Line constantly missed blocks in both the running game and the passing game. You had a rookie at RT and sub par guards, so it's no wonder that our running game fizzled even with Fred Jackson, who was obviously not 100% after the injury. I'm not a C.J fan, he seems to go down too easy despite making an occasional game breaking play. How long has the O-Line been playing together again? That unit specifically takes time to develop.

Forgive me if I don't put much credence in Bills' Fans assessment of coaches. They rode Gilbride out on a rail (not really a fan of his) and then he goes on to win two Super Bowls with the Giants.

A coach is only as good as his players. We need better pass protection and a couple of nasty guards.....and a QB. You think Adam Gates or Josh McDaniels are great OCs'? No, they are successful because of their players and QBs'.

Bottom line is all this complaining is part of the Modern American psyche. Don't get what you want immediately and the crying begins. Don't make the playoffs after two years of a new HC and program and off with their heads. Constant turnover has been one of our problems, but let's keep doing it until we win the SB within two years of a new regime. We can go into the psychological aspects of the modern NFL fan, but that would require too much time.

Shame really.

I doubt any of you would be employed if you were but under a microscope by a bunch of people that know nothing about your profession except for wins and losses.

Results, Kemosabe. Improvement and competitiveness mean nothing. If our gladiators don't win in the arena, there must be something terribly wrong.
    Don't confuse them with facts, p... they're too busy lumping together 15 years of failure to see just how close we are.

While there is room for improvement in quite a few areas on this team, the bottom line is that a lack of quality Quarterback play is the reason we don't find ourselves in the playoffs. All conversations need to start (and most should end) with that point.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post

Shame really.

You want to hold players accountable? Sure, Urbik and Pears are garbage. But, they were never this bad under Gailey. Glenn/Wood go from consensus fringe pro bowl players to every bills fan and all of a sudden they're having awful years as well? Let's not forget that 4/5 of the players starting on the line right now were here under Gailey and they were never this bad. Gailey at least found a way to hide the holes on the line, something this staff can't do.

And no, it's not if a unit is playing well it's because of the HC. It's if their unit is. The only accountability Sean Payton will have when it comes to how terrible the Saints defense is in his decision to hire Rob Ryan to oversee it. By the same token, Rob Ryan got credited with the success of that defense last year. The same situation applies here. The only credit Marrone deserves for this defense is making good hires in Pettine and Schwartz. His speciality is offense, and specifically the OL which are by far the biggest weaknesses of this team.

You can hold players accountable all you want, but the fact is that coaches should be putting them in a position to succeed. How many OCs did Alex Smith go through before he looked like a competent NFL QB? Philip Rivers gets written off by the rest of the NFL as declining after a couple off years until he gets Mike McCoy and he's suddenly elite again. How many times does Seantrel Henderson need to be left on an island with Justin Tuck/Khalil Mack before the coaches realize that's a terrible idea?

How is it that Chan Gailey can get more out of players like Craig Urbik and Erik Pears than someone who is supposed to be an OL guru?

28. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-22-2014)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,074 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Are we really using Chan ****ing Gailey as a benchmark now?

Oye Vey!

This team has shown steady improvement over Marrone's tenure here. I think he gets another year at least, if he replaces Hackett.

And Whaley better be beating the bushes for some answer at QB.

I mean come on guys....it even took Levy three years to build his team.

30. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Are we really using Chan ****ing Gailey as a benchmark now?

Oye Vey!

This team has shown steady improvement over Marrone's tenure here. I think he gets another year at least, if he replaces Hackett.

And Whaley better be beating the bushes for some answer at QB.

I mean come on guys....it even took Levy three years to build his team.
    I still think Hackett stays. Pat Morris, the OL Coach, will be the casualty and possibly Tyrone Wheatley (RB Coach) as well.

I think the biggest worry right now is that somebody goes after Schwartz for a HC gig in the off-season.

32. Post thanked by:

BillsFanInNM (12-22-2014),Don't Panic (12-22-2014),psubills62 (12-22-2014),YardRat (12-22-2014)