Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what does orton do well

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: what does orton do well

He's a good provider for his wife & kid. He made 3 to 4 times more $ this season than I made working over 30 years combined.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The one thing I can say is that he never seems to panic. You never really see those plays where you can see the QB freaking out and chucking up a duck into coverage. This is coupled, unfortunately, with a quick willingness to give up and title though.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

3. Post thanked by:

swiper (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think people think hes gives up is bc on alot of 3rd downs the coaching staff calls a pure one read plays. I dont think hes giving up just giving the ball to the WR asap so we can catch the D off guard. Like that 2 yard pass to Woods we saw like 4 times. Its a designed play that the Wide receivers are meant to fake like they are doimg real routes and then they start blocking. Its a dead play if the D doesnt show the coverage we need. There are othet players usually open on these plays but thats bc the D knows the play. And if Orton tries lookong downfield than hell get destroyed bc thr line isnt expecting to block long. Marrone said last week that our plays only work if they are in the D we expect. I think if you look at most of Ortons horrible reads its due to that or WRs not adjusting in time
    Last edited by Cali512; 12-22-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,300 Times in 13,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    The one thing I can say is that he never seems to panic. You never really see those plays where you can see the QB freaking out and chucking up a duck into coverage. This is coupled, unfortunately, with a quick willingness to give up and title though.
    I think he has turned this into a negative. A lot of the sacks happen because he's so patient that by the time he decides to give up and scramble or throw it away, it's too late. I wish he had more of a sense of urgency.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I think he has turned this into a negative. A lot of the sacks happen because he's so patient that by the time he decides to give up and scramble or throw it away, it's too late. I wish he had more of a sense of urgency.
    Am i the pnly one that realized that when Orton made that pass to Watkins, no WR had even begun looking till 20-30 yards downfield. I made a post about this. Half of the routes we have are designed for 3 receivers to run 30 yard routes and maybe a checkdown. We use the saints style playbook with the early 2000 houston texans oline

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At least we won't have to compete with anyone now for his services.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

9. Post thanked by:

Meathead (12-22-2014)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

orton wasnt as good as the guy who started out on fire for the first four or five nor is he the hot train mess weve seen recently behind the most comically inept offensive line ive seen round these parts since uncle elmo played operating room with me behind the barn those twelve times

in your training camp future: orton, ej and somebody else out of a high pick or young veteran or emerging backup. deal wid it
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    well this will end up being a funny thread.

but in all seriousness to any and all bills fans who think kyle orton should be on this roster in 2015.

please and i mean please explain to me what he does well. and exactly why he is the answer at qb. why shouldnt we be looking for a different starter?

what does he bring that someone else cannot?

THIS SHOULD BE FUN!!!
    Most of you will disagree with my response, but here goes.

We all knew Orton was a midling QB. On any given day you may get good Orton or bad Orton. It has always been that way.

My take? If Buffalo had an o-line that could have offered him a measly 2 more seconds on any given play and you would have seen the good Orton a lot more. And you would have won 2 out of three of these games: KC, 2nd Miami game, Oakland. Maybe all three. He has defenders in on him so fast that Marrone should be ashamed to call himself an o-line guy.

The loss of Joe D'Alessandris was a big one.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    well this will end up being a funny thread.

but in all seriousness to any and all bills fans who think kyle orton should be on this roster in 2015.

please and i mean please explain to me what he does well. and exactly why he is the answer at qb. why shouldnt we be looking for a different starter?

what does he bring that someone else cannot?

THIS SHOULD BE FUN!!!

We all knew Orton was a midling QB. On any given day you may get good Orton or bad Orton. It has always been that way.

My take? If Buffalo had an o-line that could have offered him a measly 2 more seconds on any given play and you would have seen the good Orton a lot more. And you would have won 2 out of three of these games: KC, 2nd Miami game, Oakland. Maybe all three. He has defenders in on him so fast that Marrone should be ashamed to call himself an o-line guy.

The fact that the running game has become so feable when FJax & Spiller were running so well just two years ago under Gailey underscores the failure of the o-line. And I have been very disappointed with Dixon and Brown. Looking back, it's likely that the blocking schemes and personnel on the line must be the problem.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Play better than Manuel, and sadly that's enough to be a starter with this team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jills View Post
    Play better than Manuel, and sadly that's enough to be a starter with this team.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Ok, so then the question becomes "is there someone better that we can get for $5 mil or less?"

Unfortunately I don't think there is.
    Maybe not one player but if we were to landed a Jordan Cameron on a four year $16 million dollar deal and Christian Ponder on a two year $2.5 million dollar deal are we a better team?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post

Let's not forget that we didn't just lose Joe D we also lost Andy Levitre and Chad Rinehart that same offseason. Interesting though that http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...-lot-different is speculating Levitre may get cut, the question is would we bring him back with a new coaching staff in place?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    At least we won't have to compete with anyone now for his services.
    you didnt honestly have a worry lol

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Maybe not one player but if we were to landed a Jordan Cameron on a four year $16 million dollar deal and Christian Ponder on a two year $2.5 million dollar deal are we a better team?
    I lol'd at Christian Ponder.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BidsJr View Post
    I lol'd at Christian Ponder.
    I'm not saying he's brought in to start but just to be a veteran prescence to backup EJ or if we draft a QB in the later rounds.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    I dont blame this on Orton. We were only in this game bc of Orton.
    I feel the same. Orton played a good journeyman role since they brought him in. The team was in playoff contention until week 16.

The Bills staff, calling 49 passes by Orton (or 49 passes with any qb for that matter) and only 13 rushes, screwed their own pooch. Hackett for going into panic mode, and Marrone for not intervening (or agreeing).
    I'm not advocating axing Marrone - they won't end up under .500 which is an improvement, and I'm tired of HC musical chairs.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    I feel the same. Orton played a good journeyman role since they brought him in. The team was in playoff contention until week 16.

The Bills staff, calling 49 passes by Orton (or 49 passes with any qb for that matter) and only 13 rushes, screwed their own pooch. Hackett for going into panic mode, and Marrone for not intervening (or agreeing).
    I'm not advocating axing Marrone - they won't end up under .500 which is an improvement, and I'm tired of HC musical chairs.
    Gresham wasn't great tonight but he did display why I'd welcome him here. He was ale to help Dalton sustain drives and even pitched in a red zone TD. Again he's better what the Bills have behind Chandler here. Toss in it's hard to dispute the running game the Bengals have had over the years dispute rolling out different backs over the years.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Gresham wasn't great tonight but he did display why I'd welcome him here. He was ale to help Dalton sustain drives and even pitched in a red zone TD. Again he's better what the Bills have behind Chandler here. Toss in it's hard to dispute the running game the Bengals have had over the years dispute rolling out different backs over the years.
    He might be better than what BUF has. But he doesn't stretch the field, has a long history of inopportune penalties - dumb ones costing 15 yards...led TEs in penalties last season IIRC, almost lost the ball tonight with an ill-advised stretch, was close to losing the ball earlier on in the game, allowed himself to go out of bounds late when the clock was a factor, and has displayed iron hands in playoff games. He stood around and didn't interfere with Von Miller in the Jeremy Hill fumble. He does get into mental funks, and he does have a history of claiming injury.

Had Eifert not gone out for the season in the 1st quarter of CIN's 1st game, Gresham would have been relegated to spot duty. They drafted Eifert because of dissatisfaction with Gresham. If they are confident that Eifert can go next season, I'd be surprised if Gresham is offered a new contract.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 12-22-2014 at 11:08 PM.