Thread: Any concerns on schwartz

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Any concerns on schwartz

Once he lost his all pro front 4, the bills struggled to stop the run. Perhaps it's really all personel and losing the coaches entirely won't be a big issue.

Is this just post game frustration or did anyone else worry that schwartz might not be too responsible for the d's exceptional play most of the season?

2. Post thanked by:

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Any concerns on schwartz

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    Once he lost his all pro front 4, the bills struggled to stop the run. Perhaps it's really all personel and losing the coaches entirely won't be a big issue.

Is this just post game frustration or did anyone else worry that schwartz might not be too responsible for the d's exceptional play most of the season?
    i don't disagree. A coach can only do so much with what is given to him
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We've been fortunate not to have any serious injuries on the D-line. We could probably use some better depth, but any time a guy like Dareus goes down there's going to be a drop off in talent. I don't think there's any issues with Schwartz. He's done a great job. My only concern is losing him to another team. I'd prefer to not see a 5th DC in five years.

5. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We need DL depth, we're pretty thin up front, but yeah a competent DC can do a lot with this talent. Pettine had a good D too.

Edit: I'm not a huge Schwartz fan, we just need a competent DC and the talent will do most of the work.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-22-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's all Jimmy and Joe, not x's and o's.
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He also lost both starting CBs. He stopped GB by leaving both corners outside with single man coverage for almost the entire game, one safety double covering the slot receiver and the other safety cheating shallow for run support. That's a pretty smart ****ing scheme, especially the safety on the slot receiver which led to two INTs. In this game, neither CB could be left alone, so both safeties have to stay in pass coverage and the slot CB is a guy that never saw the field before and might need some help from a LB. Add to that the loss on the Dline and you've got a lot less tools available for stuffing the run.

9. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (12-22-2014),Patti120 (12-22-2014),YardRat (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GvilleBills View Post
    It's all Jimmy and Joe, not x's and o's.
    I disagree with this.

If Schwartz had the ability of Hackett, the Bills would have been unwatchable this year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    I disagree with this.

If Schwartz had the ability of Hackett, the Bills would have been unwatchable this year.

But Hackett is a full blown ******. And he doesn't have the OL players.
    I think you're using an exception to prove a rule.

Schwartz is a solid DC, but he's not a game changer. Those guys usually stick as HCs.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,153 Times in 5,890 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GvilleBills View Post
    But Hackett is a full blown ******. And he doesn't have the OL players.
    I think you're using an exception to prove a rule.

Schwartz is a solid DC, but he's not a game changer. Those guys usually stick as HCs.
    Cough "manboobs" cough

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would love an angry Rex Ryan as my defensive coordinator, He is what this team needs, Someone with some fire and passion, And he's a great defensive mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    I would love an angry Rex Ryan as my defensive coordinator, He is what this team needs, Someone with some fire and passion, And he's a great defensive mind.
    I am happy with Schwartz, but I would trade up to Rex in a heartbeat if we could.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't discount the effect good coaching, and especially good scheming, can have on a team's performance...it's a coaches job to put players in a position to succeed, and Schwartz has done a helluva job with that front to back. The dline has thrived, and granted they've got a ton of talent, but Schwartz and the assistants are coaching up the reads, fronts and stunts that help them succeed. The LBers have been stout, and despite many's concerns nobody the entire year was really able to exploit Spike's 'liability' in the pass game. Bradham and Brown have flourished. Even the secondary, which has taken a ton of abuse, has played most of the season at a high level both individually and as a unit. Gilmore is one of the better corners in the league in this scheme...Graham has been mostly solid...hell, even McKelvin has shown spurts more often than not. Also, this team definitely did not suffer the loss of Byrd, the back end is much better, especially in run support.

Usually when a team sucks against the run, and has to counter to improve, the pass defense suffers. Not the Bills, not this season...they got better on both fronts, with basically the same players, except without Byrd and Kiko, but with Graham, Brown and Spikes. That's coaching.

For further evidence, just look at the other side of the ball...while Schwartz has gotten the most out of his players the offensive coaches have done more harm than good, with the oline regressing, the RB's regressing, EJ regressing, Orton regressing as the year went on. They've done a terrible job, although they aren't a bunch of studs they certainly are better than they showed most of the season, and that too is coaching.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

16. Post thanked by:

better days (12-23-2014),CommissarSpartacus (12-22-2014),DynaPaul (12-23-2014),jimmifli (12-22-2014),Mace (12-22-2014)

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,931 Times in 13,283 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    Can you imagine Jim Schwart2 as HC and Rex Ryan as DC? Is there a talented angry OC around that we could get to complete the triumvirate?

Just looking at our coaches on the sideline would make other teams quake with fear!
    My tebya razdavim

18. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (12-23-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was more worried about Schwartz before I watched his defense all year. He runs a solid scheme, made great use of available talent.

Not that I'm some psychic, but I kept expecting the Bills to periodically struggle to stop the run, pretty much how they did time to time, because I think Mario, Kyle, and Hughes largely find stopping and tackling running backs not as much fun as rushing the passer. Credit to Schwartz for minimizing plays getting past them, and at the same time, credit them for applying fierce pressure without the need for blitzing.

You have to figure Preston Brown was Kiko-ish (though obviously not as Kiko as Kiko), and we get Alonso back next year, giving us two really good 3 down LB's pursuing plays. With Bradham coming on finally, if we hopefully keep Spikes, they'll be even better next year.

But after sincerely not liking Schwartz and going on about him a lot if you remember, I think he had a lot to do with the D doing so well.

No explaining this last game though, they ran for the bus while fighting for their playoff lives. Just seemed like they all decided to call it a season and go through the motions at the same time. I dunno.

20. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    We need DL depth, we're pretty thin up front, but yeah a competent DC can do a lot with this talent. Pettine had a good D too.

Edit: I'm not a huge Schwartz fan, we just need a competent DC and the talent will do most of the work.
    We're two deep across the line, not sure how that constitutes us being thin? Also they rotate Kyle Williams to DE on some passing downs as well. We have 7 DL.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"It's the linemen's job to create a bunch of ****, and the linebackers to clean it up."

elite QB
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd like to see him blitz more often. It sure works well against us............................

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tbh, I think it was as much the loss of Dareus during the game, as anything else. Before he went out, it was business as usual in respect of stopping the run. After, was when the sh1t happened.
    Now for much of the season, we have been successful in spelling guys across the D-Line, yet the Raiders saw an opportunity without Dareus in there, and went for it. Without looking at things too much, I expect that all of a sudden they felt they didn't have to use a double team on Dareus's replacement, and were able to use the extra guy to create a hole or two.
    Even on a D as good as ours has been, you will still get the occasional bad day, and also an individual match up that hurts you. Gilmore going out also didn't help matters.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have no problems with Schwartz and I doubt we'll be able to upgrade the position in the offseason. He's done a great job, however when Dareus went down, I would have liked to see a few more blitzes, especially on 3rd and long.