Thread: Scheme

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Scheme

I'm not sure I can count that high but there are a lot of black sweaters pretty close to the line. Imagine if that was a PA with a roll out? But it wasn't. I'm still trying to figure out what it was. Where is Fred supposed to go? There is nothing to the right, is it a designed cutback? Maybe, Woods and Grey immediately attempt to block, but Grey lets 52 go past him with less than a nudge. Did he just forget his assignment? I think they could run this play against the D 100 times and be lucky to pick up positive yards on any of them. IT was doomed before the snap.

Oline does fine, Cordy and Urbik double team and open a small hole (Cordy did all the work), Chandler struggles against Mack but gets the job done. Wood actually wins his battle. The only one that blows it is Seantrel. Not much of a play but at least is was positive.

Everybody wins their battle and the play goes nowhere. Watch Seantrel and Wood, they both pick the wrong guy to block. Wood has a full second twiddling his thumbs sliding down the line before he finally blocks someone. If Seantrel managed to ievenslow up the tackler, Spiller's into the secondary at full speed.

I didn't know Urbik could pull so well. And check out the block he puts on Woods! Knocked him back at least 5 yards. Also, lots of black sweaters again.

Watch Cordy and Wood on the left. If we had two guards that could stay on their feet we'd be able to run a screen when teams crowd the line.

Cordy can't figure out who to block, but it wouldn't matter anyway Chandler can't block Mack and shouldn't be asked to.

2. Post thanked by:

bleve (12-24-2014),Buffalogic (12-23-2014),CommissarSpartacus (12-24-2014),Fixxxer (12-23-2014),gebobs (12-23-2014),Joe Fo Sho (12-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Scheme

I'll do some more later, but holy **** these players are being put in a position fail. Just look at Chandler at the end of that last play. You can almost hear him saying "well what the **** am I supposed to do against him". I can't imagine anyone has any confidence with Hackett's scheme. I bet there's a lot of eye rolling during team meetings.

4. Post thanked by:

bleve (12-23-2014),Buffalogic (12-23-2014),coastal (12-24-2014),CommissarSpartacus (12-24-2014),Fixxxer (12-23-2014),gebobs (12-23-2014),YardRat (12-23-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Hackett should never have been hired.

His resume hilite was as the OC for a crap Syracuse team.

Simply not qualified to be a NFL OC.

6. Post thanked by:

better days (12-24-2014),Buffalogic (12-23-2014),Novacane (12-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Look up how many times our recievers havent finished there final break in there route until 3-5 seconds with no checkdown

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Our running game is amateurish at best. The guy calling the plays is unimaginative and our production reflects that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How can the most fundamental part of the offense, the line, be such a fail with an OL as the coach? Mind boggling.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,662 Times in 17,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DynaPaul View Post
    How can the most fundamental part of the offense, the line, be such a fail with an OL as the coach? Mind boggling.
    Ask Brian Billick...he perfected under-achieving his specialty as a HC.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well that one Spiller play that was designed to go inside, if he was to bounce it out after he started inside would have scored 7. If that was either Jamal Charles or Leshawn Mccoy it would have been 7 for sure

http://fat.gfycat.com/BrilliantCleverHumpbackwhale.webm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cj does have awareness issues. Hes gone backward and run out short of a first numerous times. He dances at the line and makes long devoping plays impossible and regular plays stall enough time for most defenses to react and make the hit. Not to mention, Spiller is built. If anyone seen his interviews and workouts you almost think hed be a power back. Its his attitude to be fast and outrun even though he should be an all around back

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Ask Brian Billick...he perfected under-achieving his specialty as a HC.
    He won a championship though.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,009 Times in 13,345 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    [COLOR=#111111][FONT=Arial]

I'm not sure I can count that high but there are a lot of black sweaters pretty close to the line. Imagine if that was a PA with a roll out? But it wasn't. I'm still trying to figure out what it was. Where is Fred supposed to go? There is nothing to the right, is it a designed cutback? Maybe, Woods and Grey immediately attempt to block, but Grey lets 52 go past him with less than a nudge. Did he just forget his assignment? I think they could run this play against the D 100 times and be lucky to pick up positive yards on any of them. IT was doomed before the snap.
    Thank you.

This is a perfect example of the two tons of flesh in a 10 square yard box.

How many times did we have to watch this same stupid play all year? 150 - 200 times?
    My tebya razdavim

15. Post thanked by:

better days (12-24-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is merit to what you posted. I viewed many calls as easy to read before the snap all year, with little to no chance to succeed. Very little motion and frequent opportunities for the D to place 9 in the box without any worry of a decent gain.

There IS talent at the skill position but the people in charge of the O scheme continued to prove they have no answers. With an OL that seems completely lost, the play calling became one that did little other than to set up the punt.

17. Post thanked by:

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't have an answer for all of these, but some are not necessarily scheme failures.
    Quote Originally Posted by
    jimmifli;4038694

Yes this is a prime example of a play that needs to be audibled to a pass.

Everybody wins their battle and the play goes nowhere. Watch Seantrel and Wood, they both pick the wrong guy to block. Wood has a full second twiddling his thumbs sliding down the line before he finally blocks someone. If Seantrel managed to ievenslow up the tackler, Spiller's into the secondary at full speed.

On running plays the offense is down a player so that means someone, somewhere, is going unblocked. In this case, the smarter playcall would probably to have Hogan take the safety. Henderson has to choose the ILB or the safety, and whichever one he didn't choose would have been Spiller's man to beat. But Spiller doesn't win 1v1 engagements.

Cordy can't figure out who to block, but it wouldn't matter anyway Chandler can't block Mack and shouldn't be asked to.
    It looks to me like the mistake there was Wood's. It looks initially like Glenn steps up to block the ILB, but Wood has already taken him. That leaves Woodson unblocked right in the hole, so Spiller sees that and breaks away from him. Chandler shouldn't be asked to drive block Mack, but asking him to block him backside is a reasonable assignment.

If Wood blocks Woodson and Glenn blocks the ILB, Burris can be left alone on the other side because Spiller goes the opposite direction and outruns him. Instead, Spiller cuts right back into him and Glenn can't recover. Either Woodson or Burris was meant to be left alone on that play. Chandler taking Mack suggests to me that it was Burris who was supposed to be left behind and Woodson attacked.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

On the first play the run is designed to go between Henderson and Pears. The box is overloaded so the run was called to the weakside so if the run needs to bounce outside its one DB with a WR blocking.

Neither Pears or Henderson come close to winning their blocks which is supposed to seal the lane and give the RB the daylight he needs to run through. If Henderson even barely wins his block Jackson has the ability cut it outside and get some positive yardage but he doesn't and the play fails.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On the second play I wish they came back to this later and ran the reverse, Woodson is cheating inside on that play and with Hogan coming around he could block Woodson and spring a big play. All the other defenders were sucked inside. That's a miss by Hackett imo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On the third play, not sure how you can say Pears wins anything. He was completely owned at the point of attack. That line call is a zonal scheme where there is supposed to be a primary running lane and then a secondary cutback lane. Pears losing his battle closes to the cutback option. I'm not sure even if the cutback lane is open it goes any further. The defense was crashing hard there though and Hackett has to either recognize that for the next play or get an audible in for this one.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On the 4th play we pull a Florida Gators and block our own man...awesome. Urbik makes his block and that play goes into the open field. Good misdirection call against a stacked box to find space.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The 5th and 6th plays are just complete cluster****s of blocking by a myriad of offensive line members. What an absolutely disaster those are on replay.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

-yes, this one is a cutback, and yes, grey missed his block. and yes, they should have audibled out of this run

Oline does fine, Cordy and Urbik double team and open a small hole (Cordy did all the work), Chandler struggles against Mack but gets the job done. Wood actually wins his battle. The only one that blows it is Seantrel. Not much of a play but at least is was positive.

-this play was about as good as you could expect on most running plays. no need to single out anyone for blowing it. it was a solid gain

-wood actually blocked this play perfectly. he was supposed to slide to the right and block the guy in front of him, in this case there was no need to doubleteam anyone so he went to the 2nd level and got a linebacker. textbook blocking actually. The problem was spiller missed the hole. had he followed woods he would have got 2 more yards. instead he took it outside and ran into the unblocked defenders.

I didn't know Urbik could pull so well. And check out the block he puts on Woods! Knocked him back at least 5 yards. Also, lots of black sweaters again.
    -had ubrick got a hat on the safety like he should have and had the runningback shown a little more vision that play could have gone for 40. no problem with the blocking up front except for ubrick's miss

Watch Cordy and Wood on the left. If we had two guards that could stay on their feet we'd be able to run a screen when teams crowd the line.
    -this play was 100% on BOTH guards. Woods went where he was supposed to on the play, but Ubrick couldn't hold his block and Pears screwed up his cut block. 100% guard fail on that play.

-perfect play to highlight what happens with a RB takes the wrong hole. the play was designed to go into the C gap (between the TE and T), because Chandler was struggling it opened late. a patient runningback would have took the hole, Cordy Glenn wouldn't have looked so lost. he was expecting spiller to follow him upfield and was almost in position to block for it, when spiller chose to bounce outside, glenn was stuck in no mans land with his man going the other way. The sad thing is, this defensive scheme was designed for the linebacker to head upfield to force the runningback inside. in theory we had the right run called against the right defense. Had spiller went inside he could have picked up 7 or more yards. instead he ran right into a defender who's only purpose was to force the run inside.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 12-24-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!