Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All EJ needs to do is have fun

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All EJ needs to do is have fun

I feel this is EJs biggest issue. He wants to be the perfect QB to the point where he becomes mechanical. in my opinion EJ isnt bad at reading a D. He throws it to wide open players 20-30 yards downfield consistently, but is always off the mark. If he just relaxes and throws it like hes outside having fun, he could be decent
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: All EJ needs to do is have fun

What a novel idea!!

This is the worst thread. Ever.

3. Post thanked by:

coastal (01-22-2015),sudzy (01-21-2015),WagonCircler (01-21-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's something to that. It's not like loosing EJ to play schoolyard football is the answer. But if a QB is in his own head and doesn't trust himself to occasionally make mistakes, then you wind up with an overly skittish player who doesn't take any risks (see: Trent Edwards)

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

5. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-22-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree he needs to cut it loose some more and have confidence in his wr's to make him some plays.

Even wide open wr's he throws the ball like he has the golfing "yips"

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Have fun and occaisionally hit the broad side of a barn.

8. Post thanked by:

imbondz (01-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If anyones ever played QB you are best when your not thinking to hard. What i see out of EJ is what i started to do. Id have a good practice and then over the course of the weeks id start to aim every throw, and started thinking way to much. It gets to the point where on every throw your thinking of how far the player is, when to flick your wrist on the throw, where your feet are pointed, are you holding the ball comfortably, how much pressure, and the last thing you begin to think of is the receivers route, the game situation, whos on the other team, sometimes the play all together. A lot can be the issue of being to mechanical and not confident. I feel like EJ has the same mindset that i did when in high school and a coach thats like Rex might be really good for him.

Im very into the mental aspect of the Nfl. I believe that Sanchez can be great on the right team, meanwhile Cutlers personality will forever hold him back. Also this is my i guess scouting report on EJ vs Geno, ive found them to be the most incredibly opposite players ive ever seen.

EJ
    Finds the open receiver downfield a lot, but due to confidence issues tends to aim every pass. My biggest thing is EJs fake confidence, I feel like he trys to act like something hes not. Hes not comfortable yet in life. Mechanical until gains confidence. The ideal gameplan for EJ is a ground and screen game. Once EJ gets confidence he can sling it. Also you cant tell EJ to stay in the pocket, that handicaps him more than any injury would. Hes not that fast but has very good vision and can break a few tackles. So many times he runs out 1 yard short. If he doesnt do that everyone agrees with me. But that was coaching

For success, Kaepernicks offense honestly was set up the best for EJ.

Geno

Now i know i will get heat for this but Geno is very accurate. But he is like, to confident. He thinks he can make every pass possible but he cant. If he throws the ball, and i see a wide open WR, I know hell make the pass. Hell go 11-20 in a game with 3 Tds and 4 ints. Hell make some beautiful passes, take off (even if its sometimes a bad decision) and has speed. Hes not going to break a lot of tackles. Has a confidence that rubs off as even when hes doing bad its not his fault. Probably best in a Philadelphia offense style offense

10. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-22-2015),Oaf (01-21-2015),trapezeus (01-22-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree he needs to have fun.

Sailing, fishing, hiking, and golfing are some things that come to mind..
    "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
    ~ Frank Zappa

12. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (01-21-2015),imbondz (01-21-2015),Lucidvizion (01-21-2015),starrymessenger (01-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Have Fun, getting the ball out, understand progressions, stop locking in, and find a way to throw with accuracy... do it all having fun, and im ok

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well then, let's send him off to Disneyland.

Forever.

15. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (01-21-2015),starrymessenger (01-21-2015),swiper (01-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am going to go out on a limb and say that EJ could be a GREAT QB if he just performed like a great QB . . .

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He needs to play with more confidence, get the mindset that you will get hit at times and step into your throws even if it is a shallow crossing route.

18. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-22-2015)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Having fun is okay for pop warner, football with your drinking buddies, JV high school, even varsity and D3. Winning is what the NFL SHOULD be about.

Surfing on the Edge of Infinity
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"Having fun" is a consequence of being awesome.

Anyone who has participated in anything competitive knows what that feels like... when you're just nailing everything with perfection and even surprising yourself. It's an almost surreal feeling. To be an elite QB I imagine you have to be in that zone most of the time... which to me is incredible and probably an extremely rare quality.

You can't just tell someone to have fun, it doesn't work that way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    There's something to that. It's not like loosing EJ to play schoolyard football is the answer. But if a QB is in his own head and doesn't trust himself to occasionally make mistakes, then you wind up with an overly skittish player who doesn't take any risks (see: Trent Edwards)
    what happens when you have coach moron in your ear NO MISTAKES as a rook and a 2nd year player maybe you start to not trust yourself. different coaches/teachers hopefully better result and remember hes what 2 or 3 games under 500 in under 20 starts? people need to calm down and give this guy his real shot. if he sucks so be it

22. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-22-2015)

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    If anyones ever played QB you are best when your not thinking to hard. What i see out of EJ is what i started to do. Id have a good practice and then over the course of the weeks id start to aim every throw, and started thinking way to much. It gets to the point where on every throw your thinking of how far the player is, when to flick your wrist on the throw, where your feet are pointed, are you holding the ball comfortably, how much pressure, and the last thing you begin to think of is the receivers route, the game situation, whos on the other team, sometimes the play all together. A lot can be the issue of being to mechanical and not confident. I feel like EJ has the same mindset that i did when in high school and a coach thats like Rex might be really good for him.

Im very into the mental aspect of the Nfl. I believe that Sanchez can be great on the right team, meanwhile Cutlers personality will forever hold him back. Also this is my i guess scouting report on EJ vs Geno, ive found them to be the most incredibly opposite players ive ever seen.

EJ
    Finds the open receiver downfield a lot, but due to confidence issues tends to aim every pass. My biggest thing is EJs fake confidence, I feel like he trys to act like something hes not. Hes not comfortable yet in life. Mechanical until gains confidence. The ideal gameplan for EJ is a ground and screen game. Once EJ gets confidence he can sling it. Also you cant tell EJ to stay in the pocket, that handicaps him more than any injury would. Hes not that fast but has very good vision and can break a few tackles. So many times he runs out 1 yard short. If he doesnt do that everyone agrees with me. But that was coaching

For success, Kaepernicks offense honestly was set up the best for EJ.

Geno

Now i know i will get heat for this but Geno is very accurate. But he is like, to confident. He thinks he can make every pass possible but he cant. If he throws the ball, and i see a wide open WR, I know hell make the pass. Hell go 11-20 in a game with 3 Tds and 4 ints. Hell make some beautiful passes, take off (even if its sometimes a bad decision) and has speed. Hes not going to break a lot of tackles. Has a confidence that rubs off as even when hes doing bad its not his fault. Probably best in a Philadelphia offense style offense
    Grammatical issues aside, I actually agree with most of your points/observations here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...akes-killed-us

Rex let Geno play, all over. Marrone handcuffed EJ.

Result: Geno is NOT good enough to be himself at the NFL level. EJ is so coachable that he becomes robotic.

Personally I think Geno's biggest problem is reading defense but he's coached/handled better in NYJ; EJ still has a chance. I'm all for letting him play with the same freedom Geno had thus far. He has mechanical issues; let's see if he can adapt to play within his capability.

25. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-22-2015),Oaf (01-22-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

^ exactly. Geno is confident and can make all the throws, he just makes some of the dumbest reads and forces stupid passes. EJ isnt confident and while yes usually can find the open WR for 20-30 yds, he over thinks his passes and placement. If you counted EJs misses that the WR is clearly wide open as completions, and the rushes he steps out one yard short of the first down marker as firsts. You got yourself 4-0 to start. Also I think his visor needs to go unless he has proven need for it. He strikes me as a kid who would put a visor on his players in madden and thats his purpose for it. He needs to see the field and a QB like him can get distracted easily with one of them on. Let EJ play the way he wants and adjust through the year. Dont tell him in the offseason who he is gonna be because then hell becomr a robot

27. Post thanked by:

Oaf (01-22-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,479 Times in 7,095 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't mind if EJ is having fun as long as his receivers are having fun as well.

It's no fun for the receivers when EJ throws tentative balls that get to their targets a day later which gets his receivers killed. I'm almost sure that Watkins and Wood is worried about the possibility of EJ starting again.

IMO, I hope Tuel has an equal opportunity to win the job under this new staff.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-22-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe he just needs a deflated ball...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Great... our new QB coach should be Cyndi Lauper. She should be able to get him going.

cyndilauper.jpg

31. Post thanked by:

Strongman (01-22-2015)