Thread: Senior Bowl - QBs

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Senior Bowl - QBs

Was listening ot John Murphy yesterday. He was happy with Garrett Grayson's performance from colorado St. I saw some youtube clips of him. i wasn't overly impressed. i like that he moved around the pocket easily. was hesitant to run, but could buy time while looking down field, but...
    1. he seemed thin for starting QB
    2. i didn't love that he looked to have a slow release and that his one leg always comes up almmost like a pitcher after release.

i am not a qb expert by anymeans. so i really post that for the guys who know what they are looking for. Is grayson a guy worth looking at? are there other QB's in the senior bowl worth talking about here?

thoughts on grayson? thoughts on other Qb's at Senior bowl?

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Senior Bowl - QBs

Underwhelming.

Bills have a 3rd year guy with 10 starts and need to find 2 more Vets via trade or FA to compete. Shouldn't waste a pick on a QB with Guards and other depth with actual draft quality showing.

3. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (01-23-2015),Mace (01-25-2015),trapezeus (01-22-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Keep hearing the same thing from all sources on this year's QBs. It will be interesting to see what Whaley does.

And while it is clearly a glaring need, don't you think Whaley will face criticism (or at least a lot of questioning) if he drafts a guard high again after drafting Kujo & Richardson last year AND bringing in an over-paid mediocre guy like Williams? You go with the "I keep drafting until I get it right mantra?"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the thing is you can bring one of those underwhelming guys pretty cheap in rounds 5-7. The FA pool, you'll be spending $5-10MM on a person you know exactly how they'll be in the NFL.

if you trust david lee and he sees a guy he really thinks he can work with, a late flyer on someone isn't a bad idea.

Plus, the bills willbe moving one slot up in the second round at the very least since the pats are clearly not drafting their 1st round pick. i think that's as severe as it gets for these jerks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If you want a big QB who isnt afraid to throw deep its Mannion. He can become a Ryan Mallet, Glennon, or Flacco depending how developed

Grayson is Cutler 2

Winston just screams bust and reminds me of how Geno looks in the nfl during the OS game

Mariota is wierd because all the stuff he does well wont translate well to the nfl but he does these skills amazing. Hes fast but not elusive. Hes accurate and will start up great rac, but doesnt fit into windows. Never has to read a D. People are hoping him to be Cam Newton and show no Nfl skills in collegs but just survive bt being a freak athlete

Brett Hundley just doesnt look good enough yet. Like Manuel, hes average in everything Ive seen. But if he can get better and better, he has the basic skills youd want.

I havent looked up Cook much.

7. Post thanked by:

swiper (01-24-2015),trapezeus (01-23-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mannion has been the best so far.Petty has shown why Baylor QB's don't translate well to the NFL.He doesn't go through his progressions very well and his decision making is poor.I wouldn't take because we already reached for a project i EJ and that hasn't worked out to this point.Grayson hasn't looked that good but he has been better than Petty.None are ready to play in the NFL for the next couple of years but I think Mannion has the chance to develop.He comes from a pro style offense with NFL concepts.His HC was a HC in the NFL as well as a o-coordinator.

9. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-23-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The best so far is the very raw Sims of Alabama, a 1 year starter.

That alone should speak volumes about the actual quality of the 6 QB's in Mobile, since Sims is just 5-11 but 223 lbs. and has considered switching to RB. He is trying to display himself as a poor mans Russell Wilson this week and could be an interesting pick in the later rounds for a team, due to his versatility (QB,RB). Had a bad game vs. Ohio St but won a lot of games making some big plays late, so there's something there to work with. Great athlete.

Still, if you're looking for a QB to immediately leapfrog Manuel, you are seriously reaching with this bunch. You might as well put the time into E.J. while aquiring 1-2 more Vets who have some NFL snaps and won't be completely lost under center. Sims is the only one I'd toss a pick away on and that wouldn't be until round 6 or 7. Might not even be selected.

11. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sims sucks and has no chance to play qb in the NFL.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sims has a better chance to make it as a rb then a qb.

At least Marshall has it fiqured out and moved to cb where he has a shot to make it.

I'm still waiting for T. Pryor to move to wr.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 2,002 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

These qb's make me glad that we at least have EJ.

I like Winston and think that he will mature and end up being a very good qb, but either way, he's going #1 to Tampa. I think Mariota is going to bust and none of the other qb's look worthy of anything more than a late draft pick.

EJ has another year to show something, but hopefully the 2016 or 2017 qb classes look a lot better.

15. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How is Shane Carden from ECU performing?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    Was listening ot John Murphy yesterday. He was happy with Garrett Grayson's performance from colorado St. I saw some youtube clips of him. i wasn't overly impressed. i like that he moved around the pocket easily. was hesitant to run, but could buy time while looking down field, but...
    1. he seemed thin for starting QB
    2. i didn't love that he looked to have a slow release and that his one leg always comes up almmost like a pitcher after release.

i am not a qb expert by anymeans. so i really post that for the guys who know what they are looking for. Is grayson a guy worth looking at? are there other QB's in the senior bowl worth talking about here?

thoughts on grayson? thoughts on other Qb's at Senior bowl?
    I haven't been impressed by either of the two mentioned by Murph.

18. Post thanked by:

Night Train (01-24-2015),trapezeus (01-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buckets View Post
    I haven't been impressed by either of the two mentioned by Murph.
    Murphy is a good guy but should stick to scouting take out food.

20. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not seeing a qb worth taking anywhere in the early to mid rounds.
    If they were going to take a flier, they should have spent a fifth on Mettenberger last year.
    At this point, I think they should bring in a couple of vets and hope EJ pans out.
    If not, get someone in 2016.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,079 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How is Rakeem Cato looking?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well based on the reports I read from practice and then watching the games I would look at Petty, Grayson, and Mannion. The guy from Southeatern Louisiana is an interesting prospect but more than likely an UDFA. Another guy I like played in the Medal of Honor game and is Ryan Williams was going to start at Miami until he tore his acl in spring ball. Has nice height and arm strength. The Southeastern kid and the Miami guy are 7th or UDFAs, if they want to draft a guy Petty and Grayson have some stuff to like and some stuff I don't like. Mannion has the best release and physical traits but his accuracy is not great. That being said all three have accuracy problems due to footwork. What scares me about Mannion over Petty and Grayson is that Mannion was in a pro system and did not look good going through reads and processing information but he will throw a great ball every now and then. Petty and Grayson were in a pre snap predetermined throw offense and were not asked to process the defense and go through reads like they will in the pros, and both have a funky delivery. Cleary none of these guys can start this year and need work, and if I was picking I would have to get to know their mental aspects, coach ability, and leadership qualities. But if you are going to make me pick a guy today I think I go Grayson over Petty, with Mannion being my 5th round option if I miss on Grayson and Petty in round 2 and 3

24. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-26-2015)