• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Marcia Brady press conference @ 4:15

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    You say how easy it is to do the math that could prove this, yet you don't do the math. How come, Smarticus?
    He could read this:

The NFL says it has already collected video, electronic information and physical evidence -- and have hired forensic experts to see if foul play was a factor in Deflate-Gate. The league just announced it has hired Renaissance Associates -- which it describes as "an investigatory firm with sophisticated forensic expertise

...and note that any temperature effects during the game would also apply to the balls that IND had on the sidelines, also.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Did you read the article I posted?

A U of T physics prof did the math.

Do you have a problem with it?
      Did you read the part of your quote that I quoted? It says nothing about this in the article. That's what I have a problem with. It's inconceivable to me that the refs measure 12 footballs within seconds of the pats inflating them. That is what the article suggests. You believe they can?

Comment

• Spartacus
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
        He could read this:

The NFL says it has already collected video, electronic information and physical evidence -- and have hired forensic experts to see if foul play was a factor in Deflate-Gate. The league just announced it has hired Renaissance Associates -- which it describes as "an investigatory firm with sophisticated forensic expertise

..and note that any temperature effects during the game would also apply to the balls that IND had on the sidelines, also.
        Indeed, but as I've said a hundred times, the Colts ball may have been filled to 13.5 with room temperature air to begin with.

Has anyone asked Andrew Luck about it?

Thought not.
        Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 01-25-2015, 02:15 PM.
        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Spartacus
          • Mar 2003

Did you read the part of your quote that I quoted? It says nothing about this in the article. That's what I have a problem with. It's inconceivable to me that the refs measure 12 footballs within seconds of the pats inflating them. That is what the article suggests. You believe they can?
          Huh? I don't understand what you're complaining about.

As far as I know so far, the Pats balls are prepared and inflated by the Pats and delivered to the refs to be checked 2 hours before the game.

As far as I know, the refs have nothing to do with the balls before they're delivered.

And if they have a machine for measuring the balls, the officials may not even have to touch them as they're tested.

So, it's simple - they deliver hot balls (no rule against it) and the balls deflate as they cool.

Big deal.

If they don't like it, they can rewrite the rule.
          My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Huh? I don't understand what you're complaining about.

As far as I know so far, the Pats balls are prepared and inflated by the Pats and delivered to the refs to be checked 2 hours before the game.

As far as I know, the refs have nothing to do with the balls before they're delivered.

And if they have a machine for measuring the balls, the officials may not even have to touch them as they're tested.

So, it's simple - they deliver hot balls (no rule against it) and the balls deflate as they cool.

Big deal.

If they don't like it, they can rewrite the rule.
            My question is simple, assume the 'filled the footballs with hot air' conspiracy.

The Patriots fill up their footballs with hot air. Immediately after doing so, the footballs temperature will begin moving toward ambient temperature because that's what physics says will happen. How long will the hot footballs remain hot enough for this conspiracy to work? They have to get the footballs to the refs to measure before the temperature lowers too much. There has to be a maximum time limit which allows this to work. We can call this maximum limit t(max).

The equipment guys will have to inflate 12 footballs, which takes a certain amount of time. Then they have to deliver the footballs to the refs, which takes a certain amount of time. Then the refs have to decide that it's time to check the pressure of the balls, which takes a certain amount of time. All of these things add up to a length of time, which we'll call t.

Is this value of t below the allowed t(max)?

Since we don't know much of these values, my original question was asking you the value of t(max). To which you reponded "It'd be easy. For someone with a brain." You're logic for this conclusion was because "It's only math..."

Please do the math.

Comment

• Spartacus
              • Mar 2003

Please do the math.
              You complain you can't do the math because you don't know the values. Same here.

Don't be a jackass. Once you know the values, you add extra air to accommodate for the time it takes to transport and test them.

Jesus. Stop quibbling...
              My tebya razdavim

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

114deg air inside a football would be easily recognized by touching the outside.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Spartacus
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  114deg air inside a football would be easily recognized by touching the outside.
                  Not necessarily.

And there's nothing in the rules about hot footballs 2 1/2 hours before kickoff...
                  My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

You complain you can't do the math because you don't know the values. Same here.

Don't be a jackass. Once you know the values, you add extra air to accommodate for the time it takes to transport and test them.

Jesus. Stop quibbling...
                    Some people are too stupid to understand that they're too stupid.

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

It's certainly a possibility, isn't it?

Doesn't break any rule as far as I can see....
                      Of course you can add heated air to a football..people have been using hair dryers to fill air matressses for decades.

So?

Here's the point you're missing..

The Pats have already denied it...

At no time were any of our footballs prepared anywhere other than in the locker room or in an area very close to that – never in a heated room or heated condition. That has absolutely never taken place to anyone’s knowledge or anyone’s recollection. That just didn’t happen.

~~Bill Belichick, yesterday's new conference.

I guess you could argue that "heated condition" wouldn't mean injecting heated air.

Great...Lex Luthor has now morphed into the Riddler.

He decides to clear the air with a press conference to play word games...I'm in awe of the evil genius behind it.

One more time...

HE denied knowing how the air pressure decreased;
                      Brady denied knowing how the air pressure decreased;

If they are putting hot air into footballs as you suggest, they were doing it for a reason.

If that's true...one or both lied. Screwing with game footballs doesnt' get done without the knowledge and consent of Belichick, Brady, or both.

And yet...you're expecting people to believe them if they come out and change their story?

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Maybe they fully, or partially, filled the footballs with helium to exacerbate the psi loss with the temperature change. Of course, that isn't against the letter of the rulebook as BB stated either, is it?
                        Last edited by YardRat; 01-25-2015, 03:50 PM.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• harmonkoz
                          Spartacus is a troll
                          • Oct 2002

Simple solution.

Don't bother reading the thread if you find it so disturbing.

Football is a big tent - the stupid can allow the intelligent a corner...

Right, so quit spreading your stupidity all across the board, you could at least leave us a corner.
                          The Dolphins Blow, the Jets Swallow, and the Patriots take it in the arse.

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

They don't have to say it. All they have to say is they don't know. It's not their job to figure out how it could have happened.

A "culture of cheating"? Horse****.

Spygate was a powerplay between Goodell and the Pats. When the Pats started taping signals, there was NO RULE against it. The rule was only changed because the other teams who hadn't been smart enough to think of it themselves ganged up in the competition committee and rammed it through.

The Patriots didn't think it was fair so they made an issue of it.

Until now, that's the ONLY incidence of cheating that was hung on the Pats.

Culture of cheating?

Bull****...
                            I don't believe one word of that. Prove it with your so many sources within the depths of the NFL.

Goodell and Kraft are thick as thieves. The idea that there is a "power play" between them is ludicrous.

Yes, "culture of cheating" is exactly true!

Comment

• Spartacus
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by harmonkoz View Post
                              Right, so quit spreading your stupidity all across the board, you could at least leave us a corner.
                              Suffer baby, suffer.
                              My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Spartacus
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                                I don't believe one word of that. Prove it with your so many sources within the depths of the NFL.

Goodell and Kraft are thick as thieves. The idea that there is a "power play" between them is ludicrous.

Yes, "culture of cheating" is exactly true!
                                Whether you believe it of not, it's true. I wrote extensively about it over at the Range.

The short story is...

Observation is not against the rules. There is no such thing as stealing signs. If you're stupid enough to wave want you want to do on D from the sidelines and the other team sees it, it's YOUR OWN ****ING FAULT.

In 2000, when some bright boy on the Pats suggested videotaping opposing D coordinators to build a data base of their signs, IT WAS NOT AGAINST THE RULES.

It was just a smart idea.

It wasn't until Eric Mangini took the Jets HC job over Belichek's objections that he ratted out the Pats to the commissioner, who then informed the competetion community.

The competition committee, and all the other teams too stupid not to have thought of it, freaked out, and because NONE of them had the same thing in place, THEY BANNED IT.

The Pats, quite rightly, were pissed, and when I say the Pats, I mean BOTH Belicheck AND Kraft, who felt this was totally unfair and the league USING the competition committee, which sets the rules, as a way to legislate against the Pates BEING SMARTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

So, they decided to make an issue of it and dared the Jets to bust them on it, because even though they knew that they were outnumbered in the boardroom, they wanted to defend what they had done by smoking Goodell and the others out.

The rest is history, and the animosity is there on both sides still...
                                My tebya razdavim

Comment

Working...
                                X