Thread: Senior Bowl: Broncos and 49ers Showing Interest In QB Garrett Grayson

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Senior Bowl: Broncos and 49ers Showing Interest In QB Garrett Grayson

According to reports coming out of the Senior Bowl in Moblie, Alabama, Garrett Grayson impressed a lot of NFL eyes.

Doug Whaley must draft a quarterback.

http://predominantlyorange.com/2015/...rrett-grayson/

The Denver Broncos and GM John Elway have always done due diligence on quarterbacks in the NFL Draft, no matter what year, but sometimes they take a more keen interest to some rather than others. After we put out a mock draft today that had the Broncos taking UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley with their top pick, rumors started swirling out of the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama that the Broncos have taken a liking to former Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/2...-meeting-visit

Trent Baalke and members of the the San Francisco 49ers scouting staff is on hand in Mobile, and they are meeting with some players. The most notable potential meeting at this point would be what Walter Football is describing as a "hotel meeting" with Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson (6'2, 215 lbs).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Senior Bowl: Broncos and 49ers Showing Interest In QB Garrett Grayson

The Broncos interest makes sense as Brock Osweiler is still a question mark. The 49ers interest is intriguing. I'm not sure the Bills would be into Grayson though as he doesn't fit the read option offense I'm expecting Roman to bring in. I'll mention his name again as brought him up a few times but I wouldn't be shocked if we draft a guy like Chuckie Keeton in the 6th or 7th Round. He's a read option type QB who was playing at a high level the last time he was healthy. At the very least he could be a depth QB with some upside.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 01-26-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Roman pretty much ditched the read option last year and wanted to see if Kaepernick could become a pocket passing quarterback, so I don't think he's going to be married to the idea of running a read option offense.

Drafting a quarterback in the 6th or 7th round is ridiculous, even though Tom Brady would disagree.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Roman pretty much ditched the read option last year and wanted to see if Kaepernick could become a pocket passing quarterback, so I don't think he's going to be married to the idea of running a read option offense.

Drafting a quarterback in the 6th or 7th round is ridiculous, even though Tom Brady would disagree.
    As would Matt Hasslbeck and Matt Bulger. The truth is after Winston and Moriotta most of the QBs prospects have question marks. Do I like Grayson? Sure he could be another Dalton but to me the Bills don't have the talent that the Bengals have around Dalton so why am hesitant to draft a QB so early. As I can't see a rookie QB turning this team around. I could see a veteran doing so as long as we keep Hughes, find a starting OG (or two) and improve the TE position and keep Searcy or sign a guy like Dawan Landry. I mean seriously, who was the best rookie QB the last few years? Derek Carr, Mike Glennon? We're any of these guys so much better than we saw of EJ Manuel? I don't think so. To me you keep EJ and sign a veteran QB to compete with him. Guys I like are McCoy, Ponder, Sanchez and Gabbert. Are any of them franchise guys? Nope but to me all have could be game manger types that could lead us to the playoffs as long as our D and ST player as they did in 2015 and our running game plays as good as it did in 2014. I'm not ready to dismiss EJ either.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 01-26-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    As would Matt Hasslbeck and Matt Bulger. The truth is after Winston and Moriotta most of the QBs prospects have question marks. Do I like Grayson? Sure he could be another Dalton but to me the Bills don't have the talent that the Bengals have around Dalton so why am hesitant to draft a QB so early. As I can't see a rookie QB turning this team around. I could see a veteran doing so as long as we keep Hughes, find a starting OG (or two) and improve the TE position and keep Searcy or sign a guy like Dawan Landry. I mean seriously, who was the best rookie QB the last few years? Derek Carr, Mike Glennon? We're any of these guys so much better than we saw of EJ Manuel? I don't think so. To me you keep EJ and sign a veteran QB to compete with him. Guys I like are McCoy, Ponder, Sanchez and Gabbert. Are any of them franchise guys? Nope but to me all have could be game manger types that could lead us to the playoffs as long as our D and ST player as they did in 2015 and our running game plays as good as it did in 2014. I'm not ready to dismiss EJ either.
    Can't forget the, "Tank Factor," either.

Perhaps the Pegula's have given Rex Ryan the, "All in on EJ," card to play with without consequence in year 1.

Play EJ all 16 games, and see what happens.

If they tank, they tank and get the highest draft pick possible in 2016 to draft the next franchise quarterback for the Bills.

The Bills might take a page out of the Colts, "Tank For Luck," playbook in 2015.

The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water! THE END OF ALL DAYS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 546 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With the defense we have now you cant afford to have a tank year. You have to strike in the window of opportunity while we have a good defense.
    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Registered User Scumbag College's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 698 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know if he makes it to the mid second round, but I'd like the Bills to take Hundley from UCLA if he's there.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Watching that clip I noticed he locks in on his receivers a lot. Good arm & accuracy though.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Can't forget the, "Tank Factor," either.

Perhaps the Pegula's have given Rex Ryan the, "All in on EJ," card to play with without consequence in year 1.

Play EJ all 16 games, and see what happens.

If they tank, they tank and get the highest draft pick possible in 2016 to draft the next franchise quarterback for the Bills.

The Bills might take a page out of the Colts, "Tank For Luck," playbook in 2015.
    I think we have to find the answer if EJ is or not the long term answer at QB. The only way we're going to do that is by playing him. I think last year was an odd one as think Marrone felt he had to win in order to secure his job with the new owners coming in and why he sided going with Orton. I think Whaley was pushing the EJ train because he understands that if this team is going to do anything long term it's going to be on EJ's back not on the back of Orton so there's was a small conflict of interest and in the end Marrone showed he either couldn't take the pressure to be a HC or truly believed that he had no chance to develop EJ. In terms of tanking it, if we do end up in the top 10 next year we could get Conner Cook or Christian Hackenberg. I'm not sure either of them are franchise QBs or better than EJ. As Luck was a once in a decade prospect.