• BuffaloRedleg
    • Aug 2013

Re: Amazing fumble stats on the Cheaters

Friends, we live in an amazing time.

Comment

• Strongman
      • Apr 2006

Advanced NFL Stats guys are now picking up on the post 2007 Patriots** fumble correlation with their own analysis.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Wow

Comment

• Discotrish
          Raging hypocrite and resident troll
          • Nov 2003

Depressingly, the Bills have been third WORST in number of carries per fumble lost category. No doubt the weather has something to do with that, the dome teams rank pretty well. And the Patriots of course are much better than the dome teams when it comes to hanging onto the ball. Through amazing statistical coincidence of course!

Thanks to Strongman for highlighting this interesting info!

Patti
          Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• Strongman
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Discotrish View Post
            Depressingly, the Bills have been third WORST in number of carries per fumble lost category. No doubt the weather has something to do with that, the dome teams rank pretty well. And the Patriots of course are much better than the dome teams when it comes to hanging onto the ball. Through amazing statistical coincidence of course!

Thanks to Strongman for highlighting this interesting info!
            Patti
            I first saw this information on a Jets' Forum. If someone is going to find dirt on the Patriots**, that's the first place to look.

As a science geek, the statistics really jumped out at me. I was also looking for something that happened right around 2007 when Brady went from being a good QB, to suddenly becoming talked about as one of the best QBs of all time.

I think we are going to find that playing with a slightly deflated ball has a synergistic effect. First off, turnovers correlate highly with winning and running the ball effectively and taking time off the clock is also advantageous. It's probably easier for Brady to throw those quick passes more accurately. Once you get a lead on an opponent, they have to rely on passing more so you can adjust your defense to that. You can even use cheaper players who suddenly become more effective and spend more money on key players, and on and on...

What surprises me most is how low tech it is. It's brilliant, but cheating.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
              Manning obviously didn't use a deflated ball. His throws this year have been awful.

Roethlisburger & Rodgers don't need an underinflated ball because they both have big enough hands to get a good grip on the ball, unlike Brady.
              Roethlisberger had more fumbles on the year than Brady and Manning did...he plays pretty reckless though and his line doesn't always do him any favors but Leveon Bell had 373 touches on the year 0 fumbles. The Steelers fumbled 17 times total on the year. Ben also had the same INT rate as Brady. Cheating?

Here's the funny thing...teams that throw a lot more than they run, tend to fumble less.

Steelers 612 passes, 423 runs, 17 fumbles. Patriots 609 passes, 438 runs, 16 fumbles. Broncos 607 passes, 443 runs, 17 fumbles. Shocking stuff.

But I know it's more fun to just hate on the Patriots and think they're cheating to get a leg up on the league especially from a Bills fan perspective since they've owned the Bills for over the past decade. I wonder if fans in the 70s thought the Dolphins were cheating too.

Comment

• Strongman
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                Roethlisberger had more fumbles on the year than Brady and Manning did...he plays pretty reckless though and his line doesn't always do him any favors but Leveon Bell had 373 touches on the year 0 fumbles. The Steelers fumbled 17 times total on the year. Ben also had the same INT rate as Brady. Cheating?

Here's the funny thing...teams that throw a lot more than they run, tend to fumble less.

Steelers 612 passes, 423 runs, 17 fumbles. Patriots 609 passes, 438 runs, 16 fumbles. Broncos 607 passes, 443 runs, 17 fumbles. Shocking stuff.

But I know it's more fun to just hate on the Patriots and think they're cheating to get a leg up on the league especially from a Bills fan perspective since they've owned the Bills for over the past decade. I wonder if fans in the 70s thought the Dolphins were cheating too.
                Again, it's the degree of how little they fumble which is probably 4-5 SDs from the mean. In my job, when something is 3SD from the mean, we stop and investigate to find out what's wrong.

And how come we don't see this with them before 2007 when the rule was changed to allow away teams to use their own game balls?

Last edited by Strongman; 01-24-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                  • Mar 2006

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response from Goodell.
                  No WiFi signal under Kraft's desk.
                  Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by harmonkoz View Post
                    How does HGH help you hold on to the ball?
                    HGH or Human Growth Hormone, helps an OLD body behave like a YOUNG body.

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
                      tell me why that isnt the smoking gun right there

tell me why congress shouldnt be starting proceedings to go after the nfl for the sham product theyve allowed the cheaters to put out for the last seven years
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• sudzy
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
                        Again, it's the degree of how little they fumble which is probably 4-5 SDs from the mean. In my job, when something is 3SD from the mean, we stop and investigate to find out what's wrong.

A
                        Buffalo must be over inflating their balls.

Comment

• Strongman
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                          Buffalo must be over inflating their balls.
                          No, we have the fumbling machine known as CJ Spiller.

Comment

• harmonkoz
                            Spartacus is a troll
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            HGH or Human Growth Hormone, helps an OLD body behave like a YOUNG body.
                            Yes I know that, what I was questioning was his premise that the deflated footballs had only been going on this year. He seemed to point out that HGH was in use the previous years (which it probably was). However these stats point to the Patriots fumbling, or lack thereof for a much longer time period. That is what I was questioning. How does HGH help you hold on to the football? It doesn't.
                            The Dolphins Blow, the Jets Swallow, and the Patriots take it in the arse.

Comment

• sudzy
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by harmonkoz View Post
                              How does HGH help you hold on to the football? It doesn't.
                              A bigger, stronger body could handle a hit better without fumbling. That goes without saying. But, NE wasn't the only team using HGH. So that would not explain the gap between them and everyone else. Under inflated balls might.

Comment

• coastal
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                                tell me why that isnt the smoking gun right there

tell me why congress shouldnt be starting proceedings to go after the nfl for the sham product theyve allowed the cheaters to put out for the last seven years
                                if something like this doesn't happen.. or the NFL doesn't clamp down...

im done.

Comment

Working...
                                X