Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Tanking or trying? Sabres answer

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Huh?

Crosby and Malkin.
    Crosby they won a draw in which every team had a chance to get. Remember the cancelled season? Malkin was 2nd picked so I assumed you implied that they were tanking to get the best player on the board which would have been ovechkin. I think they just happened to be bad that year.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 12,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Huh?

Crosby and Malkin.
    he was talking about trying to get the first pick in 04 to try to get ovie. they didnt get the first. crosby was an award in a lottery system after a lockout.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Does it matter?

Talking Proud Buffalo!
    No it doesn't matter. Tank on! Honestly if my team was going to be bad it might as well be collosal bad to get a top talent.

4. Post thanked by:

Novacane (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just checked, Pens were last in their division in 01, 02 and 03. That's not a tank.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Just checked, Pens were last in their division in 01, 02 and 03. That's not a tank.
    err/ i think its 02-03-04

they made the east finals in 01, losing to the devils.

but losing doesnt mean its a tank. rebuilding the proper way often has a lot of losses for a while. the sabres are doing it the right way.
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 01-28-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

haha sorry 01-02 season and so on.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Hey and they went bankrupt as well at one point.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pittsburgh was the only team that was intentionally losing like the Sabres are.
    The other teams tore things down, just like the Sabres. Chicago badly wanted Kane. I hope you don't deny that

They aren't breaking rules.

You seem to think that the Patriots doing all they can to win is OK.

Why isn't that same applied to the Sabres?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    The other teams tore things down, just like the Sabres. Chicago badly wanted Kane. I hope you don't deny that

They aren't breaking rules.

You seem to think that the Patriots doing all they can to win is OK.

Why isn't that same applied to the Sabres?
    Yet Bills fans criticize the Pats.

For your sake as a season ticket holder, I hope this all works out for you personally in the end.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yet Bills fans criticize the Pats.

For your sake as a season ticket holder, I hope this all works out for you personally in the end.
    When they go outside of the rules to win, you bet your ass that Bills fans (and probably the rest of the NFL fans) will complain.

12. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-29-2015)

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I want the Sabres to win, but right now, I can accept them losing. I do NOT get upset at a win, though I know it doesn't help them now, but I will never cheer for the other team or boo when your team is winning either.

By the way, I was under the assumption that the Sabres tried to sign Vanek and Miller to contract extentions and were rebuffed by the players, so of course they had to try to get what they could for them. They weren't going to win anytime soon WITH them, so they certainly wanted to get something for them before they left.

Positioning your team for a shot at one of the best talents to come along in many years is just smart, as long as you know you have no chance at winning now. What would signing older vets for huge salaries to try and make 8th place accomplish? They still don't have the goaltending.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,314 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
    I want the Sabres to win, but right now, I can accept them losing. I do NOT get upset at a win, though I know it doesn't help them now, but I will never cheer for the other team or boo when your team is winning either.

By the way, I was under the assumption that the Sabres tried to sign Vanek and Miller to contract extentions and were rebuffed by the players, so of course they had to try to get what they could for them. They weren't going to win anytime soon WITH them, so they certainly wanted to get something for them before they left.

Positioning your team for a shot at one of the best talents to come along in many years is just smart, as long as you know you have no chance at winning now. What would signing older vets for huge salaries to try and make 8th place accomplish? They still don't have the goaltending.
    This is what I said on the first page of this thread and what Spiked and FloFlo don't seem to get. They make it sound like the Sabres were a competitive team that suddenly decided to throw in the towel after watching some YouTube clips of McDavid. The team was trying to win with the guys they had and it didn't work. Miller definitely wasn't coming back and Vanek probably wasn't either.

The team had two choices: break it down and start over, or spend up to the cap on overpriced vets to try to win now. If they had done the latter, it would have been 2-3 years of sneaking in as the 7th or 8th seed and losing in the first round followed by 2-3 years of salary cap hell that would result in needing to break it down anyway.

15. Post thanked by:

chernobylwraiths (01-29-2015),coastal (01-29-2015),gebobs (02-02-2015),Skooby (02-01-2015),trapezeus (01-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    This is what I said on the first page of this thread and what Spiked and FloFlo don't seem to get. They make it sound like the Sabres were a competitive team that suddenly decided to throw in the towel after watching some YouTube clips of McDavid. The team was trying to win with the guys they had and it didn't work. Miller definitely wasn't coming back and Vanek probably wasn't either.

The team had two choices: break it down and start over, or spend up to the cap on overpriced vets to try to win now. If they had done the latter, it would have been 2-3 years of sneaking in as the 7th or 8th seed and losing in the first round followed by 2-3 years of salary cap hell that would result in needing to break it down anyway.
    This

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Vanek rejected the league max from buffalo. He wanted to go to minny

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

curious on how this tank/rebuild is going to effect the goalies.

they are relatively young and they are getting pounded on in some games. i wonder if this means the sabres really need to have a drafted goalie come in once there is a real team to compete.

and i don't think they are tanking. i think they are that bad. they are very young and the games get out of control quickly. it's not like they are close games and then they let in a late 3rd period goal. they are getting outhustled and outworked from the get go.

the talent level isn't there and where talent is good, they are very young.

SpikedLemonade

So you tell players who are upcoming FAs that your intention is to tank the team for a couple of years in a brilliant rebuilding strategy and then you are surprised they don't want to sign on?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    curious on how this tank/rebuild is going to effect the goalies.

they are relatively young and they are getting pounded on in some games. i wonder if this means the sabres really need to have a drafted goalie come in once there is a real team to compete.

and i don't think they are tanking. i think they are that bad. they are very young and the games get out of control quickly. it's not like they are close games and then they let in a late 3rd period goal. they are getting outhustled and outworked from the get go.

the talent level isn't there and where talent is good, they are very young.
    I want the Subban kid

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    err/ i think its 02-03-04

they made the east finals in 01, losing to the devils.

but losing doesnt mean its a tank. rebuilding the proper way often has a lot of losses for a while. the sabres are doing it the right way.
    the Penguins made the playoffs in 02 because they faced the Sabres Stu Barnes had the GW in OT I was at that game, God how much I miss Gary Thorne and ESPN National Hockey Night he is 10x's better than Dave Strader and even Doc "Drive" Emerick" and the other guys on NBCSN

Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 01-29-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    the Penguins made the playoffs in 02 because they faced the Sabres Stu Barnes had the GW in OT I was at that game, God how much I miss Gary Thorne and ESPN National Hockey Night he is 10x's better than Dave Strader and even Doc "Drive" Emerick" and the other guys on NBCSN

That was 2001. The peca hold out year.

23. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-29-2015)

SpikedLemonade

"They're built to finish 30th and they will finish 30th as the worst team in the last decade. If you want to call it tanking or not, it's obvious what they are doing.

They are built to finish 30th because they have assembled a team so devoid of actual NHL experience/skill that any other outcome is highly unlikely.

Adding Meszaros, Gorges and Gionta for $12M+ a year means you ensure you'll get very little hockey bang for your bucks. Keeping Stafford/Stewart for a whole season while everyone knows they'll be traded means they'll just go through the motions. Having zero center depth means they'll get killed night in and night out. Having two backup goalies means that over a whole season, you won't get good enough goaltending to ruin the plan.

I realize you guys will never admit to this because tanking is frowned upon but you guys know as well as everyone else that this team is built to lose and they are doing it in a more spectacular fashion than any team in the cap era."