• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Re: Tanking or trying? Sabres answer

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    The list of prospects you list, most are not in the NHL yet. Many will be up full time next year or should be. GMTM has said he plans to field a different team next year and is allowing the youth to grow in juniors or Rochester. You'll see some players who are only here to occupy a roster spot while the kids develop elsewhere stripped away from the roster next year.

Next year won't be pretty, but I think they'll be much more competitive if we get some youth in. Don't expect them to grow over night, but the talent level will be higher and the kids will develop over the course of the season.

GMTM needed to blow it up, and blow it up he did. But it had to be done. And a lot of fans are excited for it. Even those who pay for season tickets. It's an investment at this point.
    And the only thing I see is when you say next year won't be pretty with all the kids playing. That could have been this year. I know you don't rush prospects but to me you don't rush prospects if they are sitting on the 3rd or 4th line. Younger players that would be playing meaningful minutes could have been playing. Hopefully it all comes together for you and the prospects aren't just a bunch of guys who looked good in junior.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
      And the only thing I see is when you say next year won't be pretty with all the kids playing. That could have been this year. I know you don't rush prospects but to me you don't rush prospects if they are sitting on the 3rd or 4th line. Younger players that would be playing meaningful minutes could have been playing. Hopefully it all comes together for you and the prospects aren't just a bunch of guys who looked good in junior.
      And that possibility always exists. But an additional year developing helps reduce that possibility.
      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• mightysimi
        Buckle me in on the highway of sin
        • Mar 2010

And that possibility always exists. But an additional year developing helps reduce that possibility.
        I hope you are right because you guys are hedging your bets that all of your prospects are all of a sudden NHL ready at the same time.

Comment

• gebobs
          One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
          • Sep 2003

I hope you are right because you guys are hedging your bets that all of your prospects are all of a sudden NHL ready at the same time.
          Certainly that's Murray gamble but there's no hedging anything for the fans. We have to play the hand we're dealt and we have to go all in. :-)
          Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
            • Aug 2012

I don't expect that to be the case, but they are going to have to be in there eventually
            Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• don137
              • Jul 2002

I agree to take time and don't rush them until they are ready. Let them play on top line in juniors or AHL where they will log many minutes every night including power play and the penalty kill. If they are not ready to contribute full time then let them gain the invaluable experience playing in minors or juniors. It will only help their development.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by don137 View Post
                I agree to take time and don't rush them until they are ready. Let them play on top line in juniors or AHL where they will log many minutes every night including power play and the penalty kill. If they are not ready to contribute full time then let them gain the invaluable experience playing in minors or juniors. It will only help their development.
                That has really helped armia and grigo grow this year.. both have really developed nicely this season.
                Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                  • Jun 2024

Listening to Murray right now on WGR lying through his teeth that this is not a tank.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                    Listening to Murray right now on WGR lying through his teeth that this is not a tank.
                    you're watching Sabres games.. Listening to WGR..So glad to know you're obsessed with the tank and it's consuming you're life

Comment

• gebobs
                      • Sep 2003

Work slow?

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                        you're watching Sabres games.. Listening to WGR..So glad to know you're obsessed with the tank and it's consuming you're life
                        Not really. It is the NFL off-season.

However, IF (and it is a big IF) the Sabres are play-off contenders in 5 years, I will make sure to remind that you got that way after intentionally becoming THE team with the worst 2 year record in NHL history.

Of course, you will remember it as a time when you were poor victims until your brilliant GM came up with this remarkable discovery of a strategy of losing on purpose for 2 years.

A strategy that cannot be followed because the NHL will be changing the lottery rules because they never could imagine a franchise would proceed with no integrity.

Pathetic!!!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Not really. It is the NFL off-season.

However, IF (and it is a big IF) the Sabres are play-off contenders in 5 years, I will make sure to remind that you got that way after intentionally becoming THE team with the worst 2 year record in NHL history.

Of course, you will remember it as a time when you were poor victims until your brilliant GM came up with this remarkable discovery of a strategy of losing on purpose for 2 years.

A strategy that cannot be followed because the NHL will be changing the lottery rules because they never could imagine a franchise would proceed with no integrity.

Pathetic!!!
                          The Penguins put up back to back 58 point seasons with the lockout year sandwiched in between.

No one ever points to that anymore when they are spoken of.

Yes, I realize that the Sabres will surpass that level of ineptitude as they ain't pulling off a 64 point season to even 116 points over 2 seasons.

Comment

• Swiper
                            • Sep 2010

Kick a man while he's down. The Sabres suck, and they revel in that. But we aren't suffering in it terribly. We understand what is happening, why it's happening, and that it needs to happen. And if all works out, the optimism is infectious.

I'm excited. Gonna be a real good team in a few seasons. I can deal with this period of suck.
                            Well I don't share your optimism, but I will say it seems to have worked out for the NY Islanders.

Comment

• gebobs
                              • Sep 2003

You must be a brilliant lawyer. You make your case and then disprove it all in the same breath.

Pathetic!!!
                              Not really. I really am impressed. Keep up the good work!

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                                • Feb 2009

Are there any Penguins fans on this site that felt any guilt or felt bad when they saw Mario Lemieux hoist the Stanley Cup over his head in 1991 and 1992

Comment

Working...
                                X