Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanking or trying? Sabres answer

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tanking or trying? Sabres answer

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- For anyone who hasn't been to Buffalo in a few years, it hits you like a sledge hammer.

The area around downtown First Niagara Center looks like a whole different place, the HaborCenter complex and new hotels revitalizing a once-depressed neighborhood.

If there were NHL titles handed out for off-ice success, the Buffalo Sabres would finally be champions.

But the on-ice product has a long way to go to catch up to the business side.

"Well, hopefully the one follows the other," Sabres forward Cody Hodgson told ESPN.com last week. "The Pegulas have done a great job really revitalizing the downtown here, and making it exciting. A lot has changed around the arena and the city to make it a fun place to come and play. Hopefully, we can build on that and transfer that to on-ice success."

Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula are the toast of this city, saving the NFL's Buffalo Bills and paying out of pocket some $200 million to build the HarborCenter complex, a sparkling two-ice-sheet facility that includes a sports bar, restaurant and Tim Hortons coffee shop.

It is in that very Tim Hortons that ESPN.com sat down last week with Sabres president Ted Black, Pegula's right-hand man, with hockey pictures of former Sabres star Tim Horton adorning the walls and giving this coffee house more of a Sabres Hall of Fame feel than anything else.

"It's extremely unique," Black says of the HarborCenter complex. "When we came here, Terry knew that he wanted to make a difference outside of hockey, but just didn't know yet in what form. Where we sit now used to be a parking lot owned by the city."

About three and a half years ago, they were approached by people who wanted to build a parking garage in this spot.

"We had been to Kettler [the Washington Capitals' practice facility] and we said almost in jest, 'Hey, do you know you can put an ice rink on top of a garage? They did it in Washington,'" Black recalled.

Black brought a group to Washington to tour the Kettler facility. That spurned the vision for HaborCenter, which became a more grandiose edifice.

ou can't help but feel the excitement that exudes from Black as he points to the surrounding area. But then your mind drifts back to the hockey team.

The Buffalo Sabres sit dead last in the NHL with a 14-30-3 record, entering the All-Star break having lost 11 games in a row, a franchise record.

"It is difficult," admitted Black, crossing his arms. "In some ways, I'm either blessed or cursed that I worked for the Penguins from 1999 to 2008. I constantly remind people that it didn't happen overnight there, either. The Penguins went five straight years picking in the top five in the draft."

When Pegula bought the team, in February 2011, he flashed his deep pockets and made Sabres fans giddy with the kind of payroll money never before seen in these parts. But overspending on free agents -- think Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff -- backfired under former general manager Darcy Regier. The team never meshed and missed the playoffs in 2011-12 in what began a gradual decline to the bottom of the standings. Regier and longtime coach Lindy Ruff were fired along the way and core veterans, such as Jason Pominville and Ryan Miller, were sold off.
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12...t-part-rebuild
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Tanking or trying? Sabres answer

I think Murray may find it difficult to make deals..

A total, methodical rebuild was put into place, one that will require a few more years to complete. If all goes well, that is.

"They're tanking, we all know that, but how do you prove it?" one Western Conference executive said this week.

"If I had my way, no team could ever draft first overall in back-to-back years, maybe not even more than once every three years," a different Western Conference team executive said. "They were already talking openly about McDavid in November. I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. We're supposed to be competing."

In fact, the Sabres hosted an Ontario Hockey League game featuring McDavid's Erie Otters earlier this season. Not exactly subtle, right?
    "You can get all the best young players in the world, all the draft picks, but if you breed them into a negative environment, a losing environment, they don't know any different," Gorges said. "And it becomes acceptable.

3. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,493 Times in 12,035 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I doubt it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Why would he find it difficult?

If a GM thinks Chris Stewart will help his team for the rest of the year, he'll trade for him regardless.

No matter what FloFlo thinks

6. Post thanked by:

Dude (01-23-2015)

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Why would he find it difficult?

If a GM thinks Chris Stewart will help his team for the rest of the year, he'll trade for him regardless.

No matter what FloFlo thinks
    I could see a few teams offering a 3rd rounder for him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

beats losing him to free agency.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,701 Times in 3,422 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"If I had my way, no team could ever draft first overall in back-to-back years, maybe not even more than once every three years," a different Western Conference team executive said. "They were already talking openly about McDavid in November. I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. We're supposed to be competing."
    Well, the Sabres picked second last year, so......

10. Post thanked by:

gebobs (02-02-2015)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    Well, the Sabres picked second last year, so......
    Is that really the point?

Sabre fans had very little respect (as opposed to sympathy) previously from other NHL fans but their excitement over losing for 2 seasons will bring them to new lows.

The NHL has and will again change the draft lottery rules to prevent this. It will be known as The Buffalo Loser Rule.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's impossible to prove tanking. The team is trying to win it's just that the team that the GM put on the ice isn't very good.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Is that really the point?

Sabre fans had very little respect (as opposed to sympathy) previously from other NHL fans but their excitement over losing for 2 seasons will bring them to new lows.

The NHL has and will again change the draft lottery rules to prevent this. It will be known as The Buffalo Loser Rule.
    that's stupid

How many years in a row did Pittsburgh draft top 5? Chicago? LA? Edmonton?

And you pin it on Buffalo?

You're smarter than this and above the trolling.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The tanking thing is stupid.

The older guys know they don't have many seasons left and they may not even be in the league by the time McDavid or Eichel is in the NHL. They are not going to risk a shot at the playoffs or one last contract for some kid who won't help them.

The young guys are playing for a roster spot. The last thing they want is some highly touted kid giving them more competition.

On top of that, they are all competitive guys who have been playing to win their whole lives.

It just doesn't make sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Also one more thing on tanking:

You could argue that the players may not be tanking but mgt intentionally assembled a team that was destined to lose a la Major League, but it's a weak argument

Reiger hosed this roster. He committed to a core group that was never going to win. They could have tried trading for players or paying FA's but it would have been Leino and ehrhoff all over again. They had no choice but to break it down and start over.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You're smarter than this and above the trolling.
    well....

17. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (01-28-2015),gebobs (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Also one more thing on tanking:

You could argue that the players may not be tanking but mgt intentionally assembled a team that was destined to lose a la Major League, but it's a weak argument

Reiger hosed this roster. He committed to a core group that was never going to win. They could have tried trading for players or paying FA's but it would have been Leino and ehrhoff all over again. They had no choice but to break it down and start over.
    I don't think it's as obvious as major league but there is a blowing it up rebuild which this is pretty close to and then there is blowing it up and taking your time to put it back together. I'm with you that the players are trying to win but I do think the GM could have put a better product on the ice if he wanted to. I do think that what they are doing is totally legit though.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    It's impossible to prove tanking. The team is trying to win it's just that the team that the GM put on the ice isn't very good.
    AND that was intentional for the 2nd year running.

SpikedLemonade

How many years in a row did Pittsburgh draft top 5? Chicago? LA? Edmonton?
    Pittsburgh was the only team that was intentionally losing like the Sabres are.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pittsburgh was the only team that was intentionally losing like the Sabres are.
    When? To get Ovechkin?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

AND that was intentional for the 2nd year running.

You still can't prove it. They can spin it as last year we were getting rid of some bad contracts and this year we want to develop the young core. Short of Pegula coming out and saying that under my direction, this team is attempting to lose, nothing will ever stick.

SpikedLemonade

When? To get Ovechkin?
    Huh?

Crosby and Malkin.

SpikedLemonade

You still can't prove it. They can spin it as last year we were getting rid of some bad contracts and this year we want to develop the young core. Short of Pegula coming out and saying that under my direction, this team is attempting to lose, nothing will ever stick.
    Does it matter?

Talking Proud Buffalo!