Thread: Its time to explain Slow Eyes & why it can't be overcome

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Its time to explain Slow Eyes & why it can't be overcome

Slow Eyes, as was reported in an EJ Manuel scouting report is a real thing-I know because I have them.

Basically, slow eyes means you cannot shift your focus at the speed that most other people doing the same task can. I'll give you 2 examples.

Example #1-when I play card games on the computer I make mistakes because I'm trying to keep my speed up but cannot focus on the current card fast enough. For example when I play hearts, I cannot immediately focus on the card dealt immediately to my right when it's the 3rd card dealt. Instead, I tend to remain focused on the 1st 2 cards drawn.

Example #2- I used to go out walking with a group of 3 or 4 other guys. As we walked someone would point out something of interest to look at and I would always be focused on something the other guys were not focused on-usually because I had zeroed in on something that caught my attention & my slow eyes couldn't adjust to new things in my vision range as fast as the other guys. I tended to keep focus on things closer to me while the others focused on things further away. I had to ask exact locations in order to shift to what the other guy pointed out. I always said to one friend-"We're never looking in the same place."

Now lets shift this to a football field and the speed of an NFL game and the requirement to read defenses quickly. If as scouted, EJ has slow eyes there's nothing he can do to ever overcome what is his lack of ability to adjust to the speed of what is happening on the field. For most of us with a similar condition we are able to overcome it in most daily tasks because we have the time to adjust and not get clobbered by someone looking to tackle us as we adjust or trying to throw an object to someone running in the opposite direction of where we are standing.
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 01-25-2015 at 12:31 PM.

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-25-2015),sudzy (01-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Its time to explain Slow Eyes & why it can't be overcome

Interesting...I have to be honest, this is the first time I've ever heard of it, regarding EJ or anybody else for that matter.

Is it considered an affliction? How is it diagnosed?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wouldn't the bills or entire football nation even in college have known of this?

5. Post thanked by:

better days (01-25-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, the thing is though, I don't think McShay meant the neural condition :

"He has slow eyes on the football field as a passer, and I think his accuracy is below average to marginal when you compare him to other prospects. ...
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...ke-with-manuel

Cosell said similar about Geno Smith :

According to Cosell, Smith misses too many routine throws, a sign that his ball location isn't as precise as it should be for a pocket passer. Cosell also has concerns about Smith's "slow eyes."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...trouble-in-nfl

I think they mean it more in the sense of scouting jargon than medical though.

Edit : Just found this :

Todd McShay of ESPN ripped him after the pick for having "slow eyes," and Patrick asked Manuel about that criticism specifically; Manuel laughed it off.

"I don't know, man. Slow eyes. I haven't heard that one yet," Manuel said. "Hopefully, my eyes will quicken up."
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ing-third-pick
    Last edited by Mace; 01-25-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Slow Eyes, as was reported in an EJ Manuel scouting report is a real thing-I know because I have them.

Basically, slow eyes means you cannot shift your focus at the speed that most other people doing the same task can. I'll give you 2 examples.

Example #1-when I play card games on the computer I make mistakes because I'm trying to keep my speed up but cannot focus on the current card fast enough. For example when I play hearts, I cannot immediately focus on the card dealt immediately to my right when it's the 3rd card dealt. Instead, I tend to remain focused on the 1st 2 cards drawn.

Example #2- I used to go out walking with a group of 3 or 4 other guys. As we walked someone would point out something of interest to look at and I would always be focused on something the other guys were not focused on-usually because I had zeroed in on something that caught my attention & my slow eyes couldn't adjust to new things in my vision range as fast as the other guys. I tended to keep focus on things closer to me while the others focused on things further away. I had to ask exact locations in order to shift to what the other guy pointed out. I always said to one friend-"We're never looking in the same place."

Now lets shift this to a football field and the speed of an NFL game and the requirement to read defenses quickly. If as scouted, EJ has slow eyes there's nothing he can do to ever overcome what is his lack of ability to adjust to the speed of what is happening on the field. For most of us with a similar condition we are able to overcome it in most daily tasks because we have the time to adjust and not get clobbered by someone looking to tackle us as we adjust or trying to throw an object to someone running in the opposite direction of where we are standing.
    You have slow eyes, that explains a lot about your posting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Wouldn't the bills or entire football nation even in college have known of this?
    Maybe the rest of the NFL did know it. I've seen no reports of any other team as having EJ as a 1st rounder. In fact, there was a picture of Jerry Jones standing in front of his board where they had EJ as a 3rd rounder. The Bills were desperate for franchise QB. I think they tried to make one out of a draft that clearly didn't have one. And guess what? They still are desperate for a franchise QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Maybe the rest of the NFL did know it. I've seen no reports of any other team as having EJ as a 1st rounder. In fact, there was a picture of Jerry Jones standing in front of his board where they had EJ as a 3rd rounder. The Bills were desperate for franchise QB. I think they tried to make one out of a draft that clearly didn't have one. And guess what? They still are desperate for a franchise QB.
    I mentioned college too. I don't think EJ would've been able to play in college if he had that condition

10. Post thanked by:

better days (01-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Well, with Romo, the Cowboys didn't really have a NEED at QB so 3rd rnd was probably as high as they wanted to go at that position.

Among teams needing a QB were the Jets & Eagles who both were interested in EJ.

NOBODY knows where EJ would have been drafted if the Bills did not take him when they did, but the Bills were able to trade down & still draft KIKO who has FIRST RD talent as well as EJ.

GOOD JOB by the Bills IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I mentioned college too. I don't think EJ would've been able to play in college if he had that condition
    And while a number of people say EJ was terrible in College as well, he had a 12-2 record his Senior year & WON Bowl games for Fla State.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bill Nye says you make no sense.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (01-25-2015)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post

Sorry to hear that - you must have been pitiful at flirting.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.