View Poll Results: How long do you think Marcias ban will be (NOT what you want it to be)?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 games

7 12.28%
  • 1 game

0 0%
  • 2 games

13 22.81%
  • 3 games

1 1.75%
  • 4 games

24 42.11%
  • 6 games

4 7.02%
  • 8 games

2 3.51%
  • 12 games

0 0%
  • 16 +playoffs (all of 2015)

4 7.02%
  • lifetime ban

2 3.51%
Page 6 of 102 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged all things Brady, cheating, bellicheat, etc.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,938 Times in 13,289 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Robert Kraft wants an apology from the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton View Post
    Before every game each team give a list of things to look for to the officials, the Colts listed the inflation of footballs on their list according to Mort during the pro bowl pregame show Sunday.
    Did Mort give a reason as to why it occurred to the Colts to ask for it?
    My tebya razdavim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This reminds me of that time Dick Cheney shot a guy in the face and made the guy hold an apology press conference as he was leaving the hospital.

3. Post thanked by:

Discotrish (01-27-2015),Lucidvizion (01-27-2015),Strongman (01-27-2015),trapezeus (01-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,195 Times in 5,921 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Ask A Scientist: Deflategate Is Trumped Up Nonsense

I wonder how much money a hand held pressure gauge calibrator makes and are there bennies? I love it when Sparty gets all sciencey... Why would there be a need for more than 1 gauge? Pre game inspection... 1 gauge... Pats controversy checked with the same gauge... and it's not like checking a car tire pressure concerning air lost. The pin once inserted seals the opening otherwise it wouldn't work. You could probably insert, pull out, insert, pull out, for a minute (sound familiar? I kid) with no observable pressure loss.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Did Mort give a reason as to why it occurred to the Colts to ask for it?

Based on the game they played earlier in the year

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I wonder how much money a hand held pressure gauge calibrator makes and are there bennies? I love it when Sparty gets all sciencey... Why would there be a need for more than 1 gauge? Pre game inspection... 1 gauge... Pats controversy checked with the same gauge... and it's not like checking a car tire pressure concerning air lost. The pin once inserted seals the opening otherwise it wouldn't work. You could probably insert, pull out, insert, pull out, for a minute (sound familiar? I kid) with no observable pressure loss.
    Don't speculate, do a test. Buy a football and a buch of different pressure gauges and a compressor and a foot pump and go to town. Make a video. Post it on youtube. Become famous. The guy that PROVED the Pats cheated. You'll be a hero. Never have to buy your own drinks ever again.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Based on the game they played earlier in the year
    And what happened in the earlier game that prompted it?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Apparently two picks by someone.

I didn't know the teams game a list of things to look for but I guess it's part of the meeting teams have the day before the game with the officials. They point out stuff like potential trick plays (tackle eligible etc) and anything they have seen on tape from the other teams. Mort (or Schefter, they were both at the table) mentioned it was in that report.

http://www.wcvb.com/sports/nfl-inves...going/30840298

It;s mentioned in here
    Last edited by EricStratton; 01-27-2015 at 01:50 PM.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who knows how accurate the various different pressure gauges are? If one was used in the refs room and one was used on the field, they may not read the same. Most gauges in industry have to be calibrated on a regular basis.
    ALL gauges need to be calibrated on a regular basis. Gauge repeatability and reproducibility are important testing metrics. Variation between known sample readings can be due to gauge or operator error. Any robust test method, done under controlled conditions, is going to account for both. If their test method doesn't, it's crap.

Plus, as I believe portable air pressure gauges are still meahanical, they need the release of a certain amount of air to do the test. So, if you test the ball 5 times in a row, everytime you take a reading there'll be less air in the football, because you've been using it to do the tests...
    I doubt it. A gauge is not going to release even close to a cc of air. A football has a volume of about 4200 cc. You could do a hundred tests and not change the pressure more than 0.1 psi.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

10. Post thanked by:

YardRat (01-28-2015)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wonder how much money a hand held pressure gauge calibrator makes and are there bennies?
    You can actually make pretty decent money doing that stuff, provided you work for a NIST certified Calibration Lab. The problem is that you'll have to be familiar with more than just pressure gauges and the job can probably get pretty repetitive.

I love it when Sparty gets all sciencey...
    He tries so hard, right?

Why would there be a need for more than 1 gauge? Pre game inspection... 1 gauge... Pats controversy checked with the same gauge... and it's not like checking a car tire pressure concerning air lost. The pin once inserted seals the opening otherwise it wouldn't work. You could probably insert, pull out, insert, pull out, for a minute (sound familiar? I kid) with no observable pressure loss.
    There is actually some logic to using multiple gauges. If one is out of calibration, you can decrease your odds of getting a misread by using more than one gauge. My understanding is that they used 2 different gauges at halftime. Generally though, if you used the same gauge pregame and at halftime, the difference in pressure is probably a valid measurement.

If the Pats wanted to challenge it, they could send both of the gauges to a calibration lab to check and see if they are out of spec. This should be done by the NFL once a year anyway. If the gauge comes back out of tolerance, they need to check the data that this particular gauge measured, between the last time it was calibrated and now, and see if it affects anything important. It's less likely to matter when it comes to the NFL, but this is how it's done at Nationally Recognized Test Labs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Apparently two picks by someone.

I didn't know the teams game a list of things to look for but I guess it's part of the meeting teams have the day before the game with the officials. They point out stuff like potential trick plays (tackle eligible etc) and anything they have seen on tape from the other teams. Mort (or Schefter, they were both at the table) mentioned it was in that report.
    SOMEONE still has to pipe up and say "I think the inflation levels of the Pats footballs are low and should be checked at half time." Who was that person and why did that occur to him? They tried to use D'qwell Jackson as the guy, but he denied it. Now it's some anonymous guy on the Colts who convinces the team to put it ion the pre-game list of things to watch for?

I'd like to know who the guy is.

Did the league put him up to it?

Gamblers? Apparently a lot of money went down originally on the Pats. 3 1/2 point spread for Seattle dropped to pick em after Deflate gate. Hmmmmm.

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 3,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
    **** off Robert Kraft.
    I was thinking yesterday we needed your input on this! I almost put out an alert.

Patti
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thank you...
    That's not to say this is "trumped up". If the allegations are true, they would have serious implications for the NFL and deserve to be investigated thoroughly. At the very least, there needs to be a thorough review of how the balls are controlled. In my opinion, each team should use the same balls, straight from Wilson. If these whiny millionaire qbs can't throw them, that's their problem. It didn't bother Otto Graham.

15. Post thanked by:

YardRat (01-28-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,539 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Instead of a million links, is it better to play with a deflated ball?
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    That's not to say this is "trumped up". If the allegations are true, they would have serious implications for the NFL and deserve to be investigated thoroughly. At the very least, there needs to be a thorough review of how the balls are controlled. In my opinion, each team should use the same balls, straight from Wilson. If these whiny millionaire qbs can't throw them, that's their problem. It didn't bother Otto Graham.
    I have no doubt Otto Graham didn't use virgin balls from the factory.

Sorry, but I'd rather see people catching balls than dropping them.

Otherwise we'd be playng football with a greased pig, rather than a pigskin...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have no doubt Otto Graham didn't use virgin balls from the factory.

Sorry, but I'd rather see people catching balls than dropping them.
    There are certainly solutions to any problem as simple as this if one doesn't just throw up their hands and give up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are certainly solutions to any problem as simple as this if one doesn't just throw up their hands and give up.
    Personally, I don't see a problem.

I see a manufactured crisis over a situation that anyone with a shred of scientific knowledge could have predicted. if indeed keeping the balls at 12.5 - 13.5 is so important.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Personally, I don't see a problem.
    How would you know? You don't even know what kind of pressure gauge they use. You don't know what their test method is?

I see a manufactured crisis over a situation that anyone with a shred of scientific knowledge could have predicted. if indeed keeping the balls at 12.5 - 13.5 is so important.
    You can't make that conclusion any more than someone can that the Patriots cheated.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How would you know? You don't even know what kind of pressure gauge they use. You don't know what their test method is?
    I meant I don't see a problem with slightly under-inflated footballs. For kicking, sure, but other than that, I don't watch football to enjoy an exhibition of incompetence.

You can't make that conclusion any more than someone can that the Patriots cheated.
    I can make any wild allegation about you I want and as long as you can'r DISprove it, we have to consider it having an equal possibility of being true or false? C'mon
    Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 01-27-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

From Robert Parry, a REAL investigative journalist, not a sports scribbler...

http://smirkingchimp.com/thread/robe...atriots-guilty

Rushing to Judge NFL's Patriots Guilty

by Robert Parry | January 27, 2015 - 10:21am

Given how bad mainstream American journalism has become, I sometimes turn to ESPN for relief and generally find the sports network’s reporting – based on statistics and observable facts – to be superior to the rushes to judgment that have come to define U.S. political and foreign reporting.

But it seems the disease of sloppy and opinionated journalism has spread to ESPN, too, as demonstrated by the network’s unseemly rush to judgment over the so-called “Deflate-gate” scandal swirling around the New England Patriots’ 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship game on Jan. 18.

Immediately after the game, all anyone was talking about was whether the Patriots intentionally deflated the footballs used in the first half to gain an unfair competitive advantage, by taking the balls from a legal minimum 12.5 pounds per square inch (PSI), down about 2 PSI below the legal standard.

And, though this controversy is about football – not about whether to go to war in some faraway country – the scandal does touch on journalistic principles that should be applied everywhere, especially where people’s reputations are affected.

As a longtime investigative reporter, I have always found it important – when addressing a suspicion of wrongdoing – to consider possible innocent explanations before concluding that someone committed an offense. Otherwise, you become easily drawn into conspiracy theories, assuming guilt rather than assessing evidence.

However, as “Deflate-gate” jumped from the sports pages onto the news shows and news pages, what was lacking across the board was any skepticism regarding the Patriots’ assumed guilt. The principle of presumed innocence was jettisoned and the only question was who was more guilty, coach Bill Belichick or quarterback Tom Brady, and what the punishment should be.

It became common for commentators on ESPN as well as regular news shows and talk radio to call Brady a liar and Belichick a chronic cheater. Yet, those conclusions were reached in the absence of direct evidence that anyone working for the Patriots had actually deflated the footballs.

...and...

Fitting with ESPN’s defensiveness, an article on Sunday was largely dismissive of Belichick’s explanation while burying at the bottom of the story this item from a Pittsburgh-based sports science organization which essentially replicated the Patriots’ experiment:

“HeadSmart Labs in Pittsburgh conducted a study that indicated the pressure in the footballs used in the AFC Championship Game could have dropped 1.95 PSI from weather and field conditions alone.

“HeadSmart said it tested 12 new footballs that were inflated to 12.5 PSI in a 75 degree room to imitate the indoor conditions where the referees would have tested the footballs 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. The footballs were then moved to a 50-degree environment to simulate the temperatures that were experienced throughout the game and were dampened to replicate the rainy conditions.

“‘Out of the 12 footballs we tested, we found that on average, footballs dropped 1.8 PSI when being exposed to dropping temperatures and wet conditions,’ the lab’s report states.”

In other words, an independent organization that specializes in the science of athletic equipment essentially confirmed what Belichick had said. And there is the additional loss of PSI that one might expect from 300-pound players landing on the footballs.

...more...

24. Post thanked by: