Merged all things Brady, cheating, bellicheat, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gebobs
    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
    • Sep 2003

Re: Ask A Scientist: Deflategate Is Trumped Up Nonsense

Originally posted by Spartacus
    And, as calculated by a prominent Boston physicist at the request of the Daily Beast, a 30-degree decrease in temperature would result in a corresponding pressure drop of 1.54 PSI (pounds per square inch.)
    Negative. It's about half that. Not sure how a prominent physicist botched that.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• gebobs
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      I don't remember T = 75 in the article?
      "And let’s assume that the temperature inside was in the mid-70s Fahrenheit."

It's an easy calculation: P2 = P1*T2/T1 though temperature has to be in either kelvins or rankine.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
        "And let’s assume that the temperature inside was in the mid-70s Fahrenheit."
        HA.

Don't try to reason with this guy, he won't understand it.

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

Bellichick claimed they did their own test where they rub the balls down to get a certain tackiness and then inflated them to 12.5 psi indoors, which is what they ask the refs to do. His test showed that the psi dropped about a pound after the effects of the rubbing wore off and the ball reached equilibrium. Then you have the balls going outside for 3 hours before they're retested at halftime which could drop the psi even further. Is that true? No idea. But I would think the league would have to run their own experiment on this. Maybe the Colts do their ball prep earlier in the day. Maybe they inflate them to 13.5 not 12.5. Does anyone know?

And here's the other thing: I read somewhere that since they had the World Cup soccer at Foxboro 5-6 years ago they have cameras that cover every inch of the stadium. All they need to do is find the camera that covered the area where the bag of balls was kept on the sideline. The drill is after the refs finish their inspection the balls are brought to the sideline. So if some ball boy went in to the ball bag to let air out, it is on tape. Or it isn't.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
            So if some ball boy went in to the ball bag to let air out, it is on tape. Or it isn't.
            ..or the NFL will destroy the evidence the same way they did with the Spygate evidence...

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
              ..or the NFL will destroy the evidence the same way they did with the Spygate evidence...
              either way if there is evidence the patriots will get slammed just as they did in Spygate. I really believe we will know what happened on this in the end.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

either way if there is evidence the patriots will get slammed just as they did in Spygate.
                Another slap on the wrist, great.

I really believe we will know what happened on this in the end.
                I hope you're right.

Comment

• Spartacus
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                  Negative. It's about half that. Not sure how a prominent physicist botched that.
                  We established previously that a 50 degree drop in temp would do it.

50 + 50 is a 100, or 2 degrees hotter than body temperature.

Even 110 is only lukewarm....
                  My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

50 + 50 is a 100, or 2 degrees hotter than body temperature.

Even 110 is only lukewarm....
                    You should stop using this argument if you understand how it works in the real world.

Comment

• gebobs
                      • Sep 2003

Correct. And that would be an example of unfairly skirting the rules.
                      Last edited by gebobs; 01-26-2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                        • Sep 2003

The math doesn't add up, I'm not buying it and I took Physics I and II in college.

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Bill Nye says blow me...

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

It would be simple to cobble up a needle that would allow for a fairly consistent release of prevailing ball pressure...small enough to be easily palmed. All it takes, then, is the ball boy to reach into the bag, insert the modified assembly, bleed the ball, and then remove it from the bag.
                            Last edited by stuckincincy; 01-26-2015, 12:17 PM.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Spartacus
                              Hah! I bet this "scientist" is on Al Gore's payroll too with the global warming nonsense!

Christians don't need scientists to tell us who's good and who's evil!

Crucify them!

Ask A Scientist: Deflategate Is Trumped Up Nonsense

Note to scandal seekers: Gases lose volume when it’s cold, meaning the Patriots may not have done anything wrong.

Ask A Scientist: Deflategate Is Trumped Up Nonsense
                              Note to scandal seekers: Gases lose volume when it’s cold, meaning the Patriots may not have done anything wrong.

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick says that he is “not a scientist,” but a basic law of physics taught in high school may well vindicate his team in the controversy dubbed DeflateGate.

On a blackboard, the Ideal Gas Law is written thus:

PV=nRT

The P stands for pressure, the V for volume. The n is the amount of gas, the R a mathematical constant. The T is temperature.

Among other things, the equation establishes that if the volume is a constant such as the inside of a football, then the pressure will vary in accordance with the temperature.

Let’s say the internal pressure of a football is measured indoors, as the footballs were two hours before the AFC Championship game last weekend.

And let’s assume that the temperature inside was in the mid-70s Fahrenheit.

Now we know that the temperature on the field was around 50 degrees when the balls were brought out for the start of the game.

We also know that the temperature soon after dropped into the mid-40s.

And, as calculated by a prominent Boston physicist at the request of the Daily Beast, a 30-degree decrease in temperature would result in a corresponding pressure drop of 1.54 PSI (pounds per square inch.)

“You’re on the right track,” Dr. Michael Naughton, chair of the Department of Physics at Boston College, confirmed when contacted by The Daily Beast on Friday.

Naughton was as cautious as is any good scientist when it comes to speculation, but he ventured, “What’s not unreasonable is that footballs initially measured in a typically warm room and then brought outside and used in a 40s temperature field will have dropped one and a half to two PSI.”

This would mean that balls inflated in the warmth of the indoors to the regulation lower limit of 12.5 PSI—which the Patriots are said to prefer—would have dropped to less than 11 PSI in the first half.

That would explain why all but one of the 12 Patriot game balls came in under the limit when they were tested at the half, triggering DeflateGate and the accompanying accusations of cheating.

All the game balls of the opposing Colts tested within the regulation limit, but that could be because they were initially inflated to the upper limit of 13.5 PSI.

...more...
                              and the colt's footballs were within spec all game long because they are mutant footballs that ignore the laws of thermodynamics?

I'm not arguing the science, but the colts balls were tested as well and all 12 footballs were within spec.

furthermore, the nfl inflated the pats balls at halftime, and then measured them after the game and found they were all up to spec.

seems to me like someone was doing something.
                              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• tomz
                                • Feb 2007

Write him a letter. He is a Bills fan after all.

Plus, we don'tknow that T = 75, do we?

Not only that, but every time you test the ball, it loses pressure. How many times was the gauge used?

Sorry, but NONE of this would stand up in court...

Only if the jury was packed with dolts. If the temp was +/- 5 degrees in either place the maximum error would be a few percent, not a factor of 3!!!! The change due to gauge is minimal enough to be less than that. And the assumption is that testing was done indoors and outdoors respectively. Is that true?

Comment

Working...
                                X