Merged all things Brady, cheating, bellicheat, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckets
    • Jun 2003

Re: Ask A Scientist: Deflategate Is Trumped Up Nonsense

Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
    A "a prominent Boston physicist", eh?

V, n, and R are constants in this case. Which means that T/P must also stay constant.

At the time of checking the ball, T = 75F ~= 297K. P = (minimally) 12.5 PSI. T/P = 23.76.

At halftime, T = 50F ~= 283K. P = T/23.76 ~= 11.9 PSI.

12.5 - 11.9 does not equal "1.5 to 2 PSI".
    It was 40 at half time.

Comment

• Buckets
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
      Negative. It's about half that. Not sure how a prominent physicist botched that.
      Lets see your calculations.

Comment

• jamze132
        • Jun 2003

I'll play along. Lets say the Patriots do inflate them to 12.5, but they probably do in in the sauna so when the balls go outside, they drop significantly.

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

Like I said in another of the seemingly endless threads defending the Pats cheating.

Sparky has elevated trolling to an art form.

His argument is for ****...but, this is entertaining.

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

First off as an engineer Bill is correct that outside conditions can effect the balls. That being said Boston is near sea level so 1 atmosphere pressure, Broncos stadium is over a mile so there will be a slight change in air pressure. The aspect that no one is talking about is that the refs inspect all the balls prior to them going out on the field, so at one point both teams balls were inflated correctly. For their to be a 2 psi drop in 11/12 balls and none of the colts ball throws the atmospheric or weather conditions out. Do I think it made a big different no. That being said the ball will be a lot easier to hold onto and grip and that is a fact.

Comment

• gebobs
              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
              Lets see your calculations.
              P2 = P1*T2/T1. Plug and chug.
              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• gebobs
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                I'll play along. Lets say the Patriots do inflate them to 12.5, but they probably do in in the sauna so when the balls go outside, they drop significantly.
                Of course. If they did that, that would be willful flaunting of the rules. Not exactly against the rules, but against the spirit of the rules and level sportsmanship. The problem is, no one wants to have to write the rule book in such minute detail to account for every possible way to slant the game. At some point, you have to depend on the competitors sense of fair play.

Then again, I would hope the officials in charge would have the sense to let any balls sit for a while ambient game temperature. These aren't concrete blocks. If a ball is above or below temperature, it will settle in close enough to test in short order.

But I don't think that's what happened here since this doesn't account for the return to kosher pressure after the game.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                  The logistics of this are ridiculous. You can't guarantee that the refs are going to measure the pressure in time for the psi to be within the legal range. As soon as the footballs are in ambient temperature, the pressure begins to deflate. If the refs take too long, the pressure is too low, if they measure the pressure too quickly, the pressure is too high. If the refs see a pattern of the footballs the Pats give them being under or overinflated, it throws up a huge red flag. No way the Pats risk it.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • May 2024

Of course. If they did that, that would be willful flaunting of the rules. Not exactly against the rules, but against the spirit of the rules and level sportsmanship. The problem is, no one wants to have to write the rule book in such minute detail to account for every possible way to slant the game. At some point, you have to depend on the competitors sense of fair play.
                    I agree with that 100%.

It is the way I feel about the Sabres losing games on purpose for the past 2 years.

Comment

• Mike
                      • Jan 2009

Here is the real question:

"why does the NFL require the Teams to provide their own balls (12 of them each) instead of providing all 24 and having each team play with all the balls throughout the game?"

If your the NFL would you want each team to play with identical balls?
                      Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                        • Jan 2009

UPDATE:

"NFL has zeroed in on an attendant who took the Balls to another room after they were inspected by refs"
                        per NFL.com

&

Brady's Father on subject "it will end badly"

ANY SUGGESTION THAT THE NFL IS LOOKING THE OTHER WAY IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!

Please Make Sense

Comment

• gebobs
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                          The logistics of this are ridiculous. You can't guarantee that the refs are going to measure the pressure in time for the psi to be within the legal range. As soon as the footballs are in ambient temperature, the pressure begins to deflate. If the refs take too long, the pressure is too low, if they measure the pressure too quickly, the pressure is too high. If the refs see a pattern of the footballs the Pats give them being under or overinflated, it throws up a huge red flag. No way the Pats risk it.
                          Yeah, there's no way they do that, or even as Shiva has suggested, warm them to 110 F. They will be at ambient temperature within minutes.

I think the likely scenario is that the balls were tested ahead of time. The Pats were at the low end, the Colts probably the upper. I don't know why they would, but maybe the officials do their halftime checks without letting the Pats' balls warm up a bit and they are under spec by 1 psi and the Colts' are right at the lower spec. After the game, they let them warm up, back to what they were before.

Surely the officials must be aware that this happens so why this was news, I can't say. I would love to know what their SOP is for this. It seems woefully inadequate.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

If Brady feels great after the 16 game season, I think HGH has more to do with that than his diet.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

Yeah, there's no way they do that, or even as Shiva has suggested, warm them to 110 F. They will be at ambient temperature within minutes.

I think the likely scenario is that the balls were tested ahead of time. The Pats were at the low end, the Colts probably the upper. I don't know why they would, but maybe the officials do their halftime checks without letting the Pats' balls warm up a bit and they are under spec by 1 psi and the Colts' are right at the lower spec. After the game, they let them warm up, back to what they were before.

Surely the officials must be aware that this happens so why this was news, I can't say. I would love to know what their SOP is for this. It seems woefully inadequate.
                              That was the point I was trying to make to him. I tried to explain like 5 times, the guy doesn't understand things.

The problem is that the Pats balls dropped 2 psi. If the Colts balls had the same effect, they should be below the legal limit no matter what their original pressure was. The Pats cheated, we're just not sure how. Apparently the equipment guy is a suspect now and I'm sure Brady is going to say he acted alone.

Comment

• Strongman
                                • Apr 2006

Belichick's DeflateGate story is 'BS' says football maker

Everyone from Bill Nye the Science Guy to Saturday Night Live is weighing in on the DeflateGate scandal, and now the official manufacturer of the league's footballs -- Wilson Sporting Goods -- has joined the debate from Arizona, per a report from Boston.com.

The company claims that all of its footballs are set at the regulation air pressure when they are delivered to the NFL, and that there is little chance that a simple change in temperature could have significantly deflated the balls during the AFC Championship.

The company has a booth at this year's NFL Experience -- an interactive fanfest held in the days leading up to the Super Bowl at the Phoenix Convention Center -- where visitors can watch the creation of Wilson's league-regulated footballs from the initial bladder and lacing process, through the pressurization stage, and to the final weight check.

Wilson representative Jim Jenkins explained the process:

"[It] goes to 120 pounds for one minute, then back down to 13, and then when it comes out, see how nice everything looks? All the seams are perfect, laces are perfect. That's what that does right there and it comes out 13 pounds per square inch."

Jenkins confirmed that every single ball that leaves the factory is set at a pressure between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch, the official legal limit set by the NFL. When asked about Bill Belichick's theory that the cold temperatures and wet conditions likely contributed to the ball being underinflated in the AFC title game, Jenkins laughed and replied, "That's BS."

Comment

Working...
                                X