• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swiper
    • Sep 2010

Re: Have we all given up on EJ too soon

Originally posted by better days View Post
    Because of the rules, EJ is not allowed to work with Bills Coaches yet.

The Good news is because of the new HC Coach , the Bills will get more time with the new Coaches than teams with a HC that was in place.
    The bad news is that he has to learn a whole new playbook.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
      The bad news is that he has to learn a whole new playbook.
      True. But I think EJ has shown the ability to hand the ball off to the RB.

Expect to see a lot of that, with an occasional shot downfield.

Comment

• Dr. Who
        • Jul 2002

EJ isn't stupid. I don't think there's any problem learning the playbook.
        His problem is seeing the field and analyzing what to do quickly. This is a typical problem for young qbs and some never get it.
        It's too early to say with EJ. I am sure he will be in a better position to succeed with the current coaching staff.

Of course, this is all wild-eyed optimism from someone who doesn't know anything about football . . .

Comment

• Swiper
          • Sep 2010

ROFL. Good to see you lied to everyone about putting me on ignore.

Comment

• Strongman
            • Apr 2006

I think EJ's problem is more psychological than anything else. That can be fixed.

There was an interesting link on another thread that graphed his measurables and some other QBs: http://nflphilosophy.com/a-visual-re...-quarterbacks/

As far as metrics are concerned, I was really surprised to see that he is probably the closest one to Andrew Luck. If he can be developed, (and Roman has has some success developing QBs) we are going to have a very good QB. Some QBs can come right in and be successful, but others are going to take more time. It's safe to say, EJ is looking to be more of a slow developer. I'd rather keep him and only cut him when we are absolutely sure he won't develop into an NFL starter. This might take another year or two.

In the meantime, they should bring some FAs in and let them compete for the starting job and EJ would be more of a backup and developmental project. By doing this, the worse case scenario is we have him for a back up and the best case is we finally get our franchise QB in a year.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

I'm not ready to cut him, but this is really his make or break year. If he comes into camp and then pre-season with the same wild throws, it's pretty much over. We absolutely need some competition for him though.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Dr. Who
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
                I think EJ's problem is more psychological than anything else. That can be fixed.

There was an interesting link on another thread that graphed his measurables and some other QBs: http://nflphilosophy.com/a-visual-re...-quarterbacks/

As far as metrics are concerned, I was really surprised to see that he is probably the closest one to Andrew Luck. If he can be developed, (and Roman has has some success developing QBs) we are going to have a very good QB. Some QBs can come right in and be successful, but others are going to take more time. It's safe to say, EJ is looking to be more of a slow developer. I'd rather keep him and only cut him when we are absolutely sure he won't develop into an NFL starter. This might take another year or two.

In the meantime, they should bring some FAs in and let them compete for the starting job and EJ would be more of a backup and developmental project. By doing this, the worse case scenario is we have him for a back up and the best case is we finally get our franchise QB in a year.
                I agree with this. I think people underestimate how badly Marrone handled the situation. Mace gave a pretty good rundown.

Putting EJ and Andrew Luck in the same sentence is going to invite savage responses, however.

Comment

• Strongman
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
                  I agree with this. I think people underestimate how badly Marrone handled the situation. Mace gave a pretty good rundown.

Putting EJ and Andrew Luck in the same sentence is going to invite savage responses, however.
                  I know. I'm not by any means saying he's as good as him... only that his measurables stack up well with Luck's.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                    • Jul 2002

I know. I'm not by any means saying he's as good as him... only that his measurables stack up well with Luck's.
                    Of course. That is evident and I know what you mean.
                    The uncivilized will distort in order to mock and generally be bastards.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

They do, but on the field his speed an athleticism don't translate nearly as well. If EJ lived up to his fullest potential, I think his game would look a lot more like Ben Roethlisberger but he's not gonna reach that.

Comment

• Strongman
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                        They do, but on the field his speed an athleticism don't translate nearly as well. If EJ lived up to his fullest potential, I think his game would look a lot more like Ben Roethlisberger but he's not gonna reach that.
                        Maybe. Honestly, I'm honestly having a little of a hard time seeing the comparison. I think Roethlisberger plays a more physical game than EJ ever would. I kind of see him as more of an Alex Smith type.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Maybe. Honestly, I'm honestly having a little of a hard time seeing the comparison. I think Roethlisberger plays a more physical game than EJ ever would. I kind of see him as more of an Alex Smith type.
                          Well what I would hope for is Roethlisberger's ability to extend a play, take a few hits, and drive the ball downfield. I don't ever see EJ as the kind of QB who's going to hit 7-9 short passes per drive and march the length of the field the way Smith does.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                            This is the Dalton, Alex Smith, Tanneyhill area, none of those guys are going to win the game alone and need to be on a good team and they have noticeable weaknesses and can absolutely lose a game for you
                            Dalton and Tanneyhill both were better QBs out of the gate then EJ ever looked. Alex Smith is sort of a weird case, because i can't remember the last time a first round pick was given 4 years (all starting) to figure it out. I said after EJ was drafted "alex smith" is probably the absolute max we can expect from EJ". I was optimistic though. EJ needs to get a LOT more accurate before he can even be discussed in the same breath with alex smith. and yes i just wrote that sentence. think about that for a minute. Alex Smith is the very definition of a "game managing" -mediocre quarterback. and i just without hesitation said it's an insult to Alex Smith to even include EJ in the same breath with him. That's how far away he is from being a mediocre starting qb. I think a lot of people are forgetting just how rancid EJ has been these last two seasons.
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• WagonCircler
                              Escaped Convict
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                              I think a lot of people are forgetting just how rancid EJ has been these last two seasons.
                              Now you just insulted one of my favorite bands.

Comment

• YardRat
                                Well, lookie here...
                                • Dec 2004

I don't know, EJ doesn't appear to have anywhere near the pocket presence that Big Ben does...Alex Smith seems to be a closer comparison to me.
                                YardRat Wall of Fame
                                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                                X