• Mar 2006

Re: Have we all given up on EJ too soon

He still looks like Akili Smith to me.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
      Dalton and Tanneyhill both were better QBs out of the gate then EJ ever looked. Alex Smith is sort of a weird case, because i can't remember the last time a first round pick was given 4 years (all starting) to figure it out. I said after EJ was drafted "alex smith" is probably the absolute max we can expect from EJ". I was optimistic though. EJ needs to get a LOT more accurate before he can even be discussed in the same breath with alex smith. and yes i just wrote that sentence. think about that for a minute. Alex Smith is the very definition of a "game managing" -mediocre quarterback. and i just without hesitation said it's an insult to Alex Smith to even include EJ in the same breath with him. That's how far away he is from being a mediocre starting qb. I think a lot of people are forgetting just how rancid EJ has been these last two seasons.
      You mean in the entire FOURTEEN games EJ has played?

LESS than ONE entire season.

16 TDs passing 3 TDs rushing 12 INTs is NOT rancid.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        I don't know, EJ doesn't appear to have anywhere near the pocket presence that Big Ben does...Alex Smith seems to be a closer comparison to me.
        In what way is he like Alex Smith? Of all the comparisons, that one seems the most bizarre. Smith makes his living on short, safe throws and he hits them with regularity. To the point where it's become a huge weakness, as the guy hasn't thrown a TD to a wide receiver since the 2014 playoffs. Kansas City's offense goes because they have arguably the best dual-threat halfback in football.

Now if you look at EJ, his biggest strengths are his athleticism - he is big, strong, fast, and has a howitzer arm. His biggest weaknesses are his poor ability to read defense and his inconsistent accuracy. Why would you project a guy with those traits into someone like Smith, who will just throw 5 yard outs and slants all day and call it a game plan? He's not going to play like Smith and I think it would be an even bigger mistake to make him try.

I think the offense needs to be tailored to his downfield throws, because IMO he'll either sink or swim on that.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
          You mean in the entire FOURTEEN games EJ has played?

LESS than ONE entire season.

16 TDs passing 3 TDs rushing 12 INTs is NOT rancid.
          the only reason the int numbers aren't higher is because he doesn't throw the ball to covered players, AND he's typically so inacurate it's often not just out of the reach of the WR but the DB. Int numbers aren't everything.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

akili, alex, all those guys look the same to me. you know, the smiths
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• djjimkelly
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
              The bad news is that he has to learn a whole new playbook.
              guarenteed all players in the bills future have some form of romans offense already especially EJ and tuel the qbs

Comment

• WagonCircler
                Escaped Convict
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                akili, alex, all those guys look the same to me. you know, the smiths
                Two insults to favorite bands of mine in one page of one thread.

You people and I are going to Clash.

Comment

• Strongman
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                  In what way is he like Alex Smith? Of all the comparisons, that one seems the most bizarre. Smith makes his living on short, safe throws and he hits them with regularity. To the point where it's become a huge weakness, as the guy hasn't thrown a TD to a wide receiver since the 2014 playoffs. Kansas City's offense goes because they have arguably the best dual-threat halfback in football.

Now if you look at EJ, his biggest strengths are his athleticism - he is big, strong, fast, and has a howitzer arm. His biggest weaknesses are his poor ability to read defense and his inconsistent accuracy. Why would you project a guy with those traits into someone like Smith, who will just throw 5 yard outs and slants all day and call it a game plan? He's not going to play like Smith and I think it would be an even bigger mistake to make him try.

I think the offense needs to be tailored to his downfield throws, because IMO he'll either sink or swim on that.
                  Physically, you make a good point. I was thinking more of EJ's mental makeup. Like Smith, EJ seems very adverse to taking risks with the ball. Big Ben has zero problem with taking risk (on and off the field).

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
                    Physically, you make a good point. I was thinking more of EJ's mental makeup. Like Smith, EJ seems very adverse to taking risks with the ball. Big Ben has zero problem with taking risk (on and off the field).
                    Uh. In case you haven't opened your eyes while you watch football (which is what it seems), Roethlisberger is thicker and stronger than either Smith or Manuel. Manuel is a fragile strawman.

Comment

• Strongman
                      • Apr 2006

Uh. In case you haven't opened your eyes while you watch football (which is what it seems), Roethlisberger is thicker and stronger than either Smith or Manuel. Manuel is a fragile strawman.
                      EJ Manuel: 6'6 and 247 lbs frame vs. Ben Roethlisberger: 6'5 and 241 lbs.

That looks pretty similar to me:

And maybe if you could read, you would have noticed I compared Smith's and EJ's mental makeup and not physical abilities.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

I think the way Roman used Smith in SF, and KC uses him now, is the better formula for EJ to build from. Short passes, quick reads, throw in the occasional run. EJ needs to start somewhere, and if he can't succeed in a Smith-style offense his howitzer arm is a non-issue unless he improves drastically on his accuracy and awareness in the pocket, not to mention reading defenses. IMO considering those weaknesses, if you tailor the gameplan for his downfield throws you might as well tie an anchor to him and watch him sink. Cut him now, because it's extremely unlikely he's going to crash out of the gate this season and all of sudden be light years better than he has in the past.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
                          EJ Manuel: 6'6 and 247 lbs frame vs. Ben Roethlisberger: 6'5 and 241 lbs.

That looks pretty similar to me:

And maybe if you could read, you would have noticed I compared Smith's and EJ's mental makeup and not physical abilities.
                          Manuel looks thin and frail. And who cares about his mental makeup when he has no QB instincts whatsoever.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

Manuel looks thin and frail. And who cares about his mental makeup when he has no QB instincts whatsoever.
                            And not sure where you get 6' 6" and 247.

Complete career NFL stats for Kansas City Chiefs Quarterback EJ Manuel on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

Latest on QB EJ Manuel including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Get the latest fantasy news, stats, and injury updates for Kansas City Chiefs QB EJ Manuel from CBS Sports

Comment

• Strongman
                              • Apr 2006

And not sure where you get 6' 6" and 247.

Complete career NFL stats for Kansas City Chiefs Quarterback EJ Manuel on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

Latest on QB EJ Manuel including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players...2655/ej-manuel
                              Got it from here:

Other sites have him listed at 6'5 and 237

Hall of Football is owned and operated by The Sports Xchange (TSX) which has provided news, analysis and research for fans and professionals since 1987.

Hall of Football is owned and operated by The Sports Xchange (TSX) which has provided news, analysis and research for fans and professionals since 1987.

Either way, 6'4 and 237 is not that different than Roethlisberger the raper.

Comment

• better days
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                                the only reason the int numbers aren't higher is because he doesn't throw the ball to covered players, AND he's typically so inacurate it's often not just out of the reach of the WR but the DB. Int numbers aren't everything.
                                19 TD's in 14 games is something.

I don't think Trent Edwards ever had 19 TDs in a 16 game season.

And YES ONLY 12 INTS is also something.

NOT RANCID.

Comment

Working...
                                X