• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Have we all given up on EJ too soon

he went 2-2 with an offense that was legendarily bad.

i would think scheme and an actual running game could help him significantly.

also having a line that knew what was going on could help. and i don't think our line was bad because the talent isnt there. i think they were poorly coached.

There is always a chance.

Comment

• Swiper
      • Sep 2010

If any fans think EJ Manuel has a chance of being a productive pro, they don't have any idea of what they are looking at. Then again with Dr. WhoWhatWhere, we already know that.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Considering he's yet to play a full 16 games and was handicapped from the beginning with piss-poor coaching yes, it's still too early to give up on EJ becoming a marginal or better starter. But, when given the chance this season (which he'll get) in practice and games he's going to have to show a helluva lot more than he has up to this point. The lightbulb needs to come on sooner rather than later.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

I don't think EJ will be the starter next year.

Training camp is going to be interesting because everyone is going to be focused on EJ Manuel and how he's playing.

If Manuel continues to show no signs of progress, there's no reason to start him.

I have a feeling that after about a week of training camp, fans and the media are going to be unimpressed and saying the same thing, "Same EJ, poor throws, looks the same as last year."

EJ Manuel has about 2 weeks to prove himself in training camp. That's it.

Put in a rookie, and move on.

Comment

• sudzy
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            If any fans think EJ Manuel has a chance of being a productive pro, they don't have any idea of what they are looking at. Then again with Dr. WhoWhatWhere, we already know that.
            Some people just have a problem of letting go of the dream. Some of us will look at what we've seen from EJ and say "if that's our answer, we are in trouble." Others will try and make excuses for why he sucks and how he is a franchise QB waiting for someone to miraculously transform him into one for as long as he's on the roster. But he's only started 14 games, maybe if we use him like this.... he's only started 20 games, maybe if we use him like that.... he's only started 48 games, maybe....

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
              Some people just have a problem of letting go of the dream. Some of us will look at what we've seen from EJ and say "if that's our answer, we are in trouble." Others will try and make excuses for why he sucks and how he is a franchise QB waiting for someone to miraculously transform him into one for as long as he's on the roster. But he's only started 14 games, maybe if we use him like this.... he's only started 20 games, maybe if we use him like that.... he's only started 48 games, maybe....
              That's called 'Spillerizing'.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

I think they already screwed up a project player by having no QB coach his first year, and no vet to teach him, then hiring a bad QB coach and putting him behind a vet QB who wasn't inclined toward teaching. They threw him into the fire from a college spread offense into up tempo west coast fast read his first year, then changed it to vanilla his second, not exactly a consistent way to develop everyone. They wanted him mobile, then didn't want him mobile, wanted him to sling it then didn't want him to make mistakes. I'd be amazed if they haven't already Trent Edwards'ed him away from however he might have developed, or even Losmanned him already.

Not keen on David Lee, but he's a step up into average QB coach, Roman will run an offense that takes pressure off him. I like Manuel, I want to see him succeed, I'll be happy if he does and admit I'm wrong because in his 3rd year they probably already dorked up his potential.

I'd have been happier if he'd done like Kaepernick, and went for some offseason QB guru work, but hey, it is what it is. He's supposed to be a smart guy, seems diligent, has a good strong arm, is plenty mobile. If his head catches up with his body, we might have something special.

Past precedent being what it is though, I find it hard to be optimistic. I don't see anyone in the draft who might be available that I think would be better, and I don't see any FA's I think would be better, so I'm resigned to whatever happens happening. We're not talking Air Roman though, so whatever does happen won't be spectacularly bad or spectacularly good anyway, and worst case, he's a placeholder for the next guy in 2016.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by ticatfan View Post
                  Should have hired trestman.
                  Oh yeah. He did so great with the Bears' offense.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

I'll give up on EJ when he's no longer a Bill.

There's always hope.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      Roman said of EJ: "we just have to turn him loose".

I expect Roman to run the same type of offense the 49ers ran with Kaepernick.

I expect EJ to be named the starter. HOPE he plays well.
                      Replace turn to cut and that would be a correct statement.

He's garbage and this organization has done nothing to work on making him better.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

He's garbage and this organization has done nothing to work on making him better.
                        I agree Marrone & Hackett did nothing for EJ, I want to see what GOOD Coaching can do for him.

Comment

• Swiper
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

What will all the EJ apologists say when the new coaches go in a different direction too? You have to LOL at people who suggest that Greg Roman expects to use EJ Manuel like he did Colin Kaepernick. Those people obviously don't actually watch football. For if the did, they would see how mobile Kaepernick naturally is and how stiff and clumsy Manuel is.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

He gets one more shot in camp and should be working his backside off NOW on crossing patterns and accuracy downfield with the new coaches and the starting WR's.

If he doesn't improve, it's over. I'm rooting for him but it's do or die time.
                            Last edited by Night Train; 01-31-2015, 05:36 AM.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Strongman
                              • Apr 2006

I was part of the anti-EJ crowd, but am now having second thoughts on him. Marrone and Hackett had no idea what they were doing. His first year here was the worse scenario possible for a young QB. I'm much more optimistic with Roman and Lee working with him.

Comment

• better days
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                                He gets one more shot in camp and should be working his backside off NOW on crossing patterns and accuracy downfield with the new coaches and the starting WR's.

If he doesn't improve, it's over. I'm rooting for him but it's do or die time.
                                Because of the rules, EJ is not allowed to work with Bills Coaches yet.

The Good news is because of the new HC Coach , the Bills will get more time with the new Coaches than teams with a HC that was in place.

Comment

Working...
                                X