Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have we all given up on EJ too soon

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Have we all given up on EJ too soon

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    They do, but on the field his speed an athleticism don't translate nearly as well. If EJ lived up to his fullest potential, I think his game would look a lot more like Ben Roethlisberger but he's not gonna reach that.
    Maybe. Honestly, I'm honestly having a little of a hard time seeing the comparison. I think Roethlisberger plays a more physical game than EJ ever would. I kind of see him as more of an Alex Smith type.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Maybe. Honestly, I'm honestly having a little of a hard time seeing the comparison. I think Roethlisberger plays a more physical game than EJ ever would. I kind of see him as more of an Alex Smith type.
    Well what I would hope for is Roethlisberger's ability to extend a play, take a few hits, and drive the ball downfield. I don't ever see EJ as the kind of QB who's going to hit 7-9 short passes per drive and march the length of the field the way Smith does.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,339 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    This is the Dalton, Alex Smith, Tanneyhill area, none of those guys are going to win the game alone and need to be on a good team and they have noticeable weaknesses and can absolutely lose a game for you
    Dalton and Tanneyhill both were better QBs out of the gate then EJ ever looked. Alex Smith is sort of a weird case, because i can't remember the last time a first round pick was given 4 years (all starting) to figure it out. I said after EJ was drafted "alex smith" is probably the absolute max we can expect from EJ". I was optimistic though. EJ needs to get a LOT more accurate before he can even be discussed in the same breath with alex smith. and yes i just wrote that sentence. think about that for a minute. Alex Smith is the very definition of a "game managing" -mediocre quarterback. and i just without hesitation said it's an insult to Alex Smith to even include EJ in the same breath with him. That's how far away he is from being a mediocre starting qb. I think a lot of people are forgetting just how rancid EJ has been these last two seasons.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

4. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-01-2015),WagonCircler (01-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    I think a lot of people are forgetting just how rancid EJ has been these last two seasons.
    Now you just insulted one of my favorite bands.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know, EJ doesn't appear to have anywhere near the pocket presence that Big Ben does...Alex Smith seems to be a closer comparison to me.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He still looks like Akili Smith to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dalton and Tanneyhill both were better QBs out of the gate then EJ ever looked. Alex Smith is sort of a weird case, because i can't remember the last time a first round pick was given 4 years (all starting) to figure it out. I said after EJ was drafted "alex smith" is probably the absolute max we can expect from EJ". I was optimistic though. EJ needs to get a LOT more accurate before he can even be discussed in the same breath with alex smith. and yes i just wrote that sentence. think about that for a minute. Alex Smith is the very definition of a "game managing" -mediocre quarterback. and i just without hesitation said it's an insult to Alex Smith to even include EJ in the same breath with him. That's how far away he is from being a mediocre starting qb. I think a lot of people are forgetting just how rancid EJ has been these last two seasons.
    You mean in the entire FOURTEEN games EJ has played?

LESS than ONE entire season.

16 TDs passing 3 TDs rushing 12 INTs is NOT rancid.

9. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-31-2015),kishoph (01-31-2015),Meathead (01-31-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I don't know, EJ doesn't appear to have anywhere near the pocket presence that Big Ben does...Alex Smith seems to be a closer comparison to me.
    In what way is he like Alex Smith? Of all the comparisons, that one seems the most bizarre. Smith makes his living on short, safe throws and he hits them with regularity. To the point where it's become a huge weakness, as the guy hasn't thrown a TD to a wide receiver since the 2014 playoffs. Kansas City's offense goes because they have arguably the best dual-threat halfback in football.

Now if you look at EJ, his biggest strengths are his athleticism - he is big, strong, fast, and has a howitzer arm. His biggest weaknesses are his poor ability to read defense and his inconsistent accuracy. Why would you project a guy with those traits into someone like Smith, who will just throw 5 yard outs and slants all day and call it a game plan? He's not going to play like Smith and I think it would be an even bigger mistake to make him try.

I think the offense needs to be tailored to his downfield throws, because IMO he'll either sink or swim on that.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,339 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    You mean in the entire FOURTEEN games EJ has played?

LESS than ONE entire season.

16 TDs passing 3 TDs rushing 12 INTs is NOT rancid.
    the only reason the int numbers aren't higher is because he doesn't throw the ball to covered players, AND he's typically so inacurate it's often not just out of the reach of the WR but the DB. Int numbers aren't everything.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

akili, alex, all those guys look the same to me. you know, the smiths
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    The bad news is that he has to learn a whole new playbook.
    guarenteed all players in the bills future have some form of romans offense already especially EJ and tuel the qbs

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    akili, alex, all those guys look the same to me. you know, the smiths
    Two insults to favorite bands of mine in one page of one thread.

You people and I are going to Clash.

15. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

In what way is he like Alex Smith? Of all the comparisons, that one seems the most bizarre. Smith makes his living on short, safe throws and he hits them with regularity. To the point where it's become a huge weakness, as the guy hasn't thrown a TD to a wide receiver since the 2014 playoffs. Kansas City's offense goes because they have arguably the best dual-threat halfback in football.

Now if you look at EJ, his biggest strengths are his athleticism - he is big, strong, fast, and has a howitzer arm. His biggest weaknesses are his poor ability to read defense and his inconsistent accuracy. Why would you project a guy with those traits into someone like Smith, who will just throw 5 yard outs and slants all day and call it a game plan? He's not going to play like Smith and I think it would be an even bigger mistake to make him try.

I think the offense needs to be tailored to his downfield throws, because IMO he'll either sink or swim on that.
    Physically, you make a good point. I was thinking more of EJ's mental makeup. Like Smith, EJ seems very adverse to taking risks with the ball. Big Ben has zero problem with taking risk (on and off the field).

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Physically, you make a good point. I was thinking more of EJ's mental makeup. Like Smith, EJ seems very adverse to taking risks with the ball. Big Ben has zero problem with taking risk (on and off the field).
    Uh. In case you haven't opened your eyes while you watch football (which is what it seems), Roethlisberger is thicker and stronger than either Smith or Manuel. Manuel is a fragile strawman.

18. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Uh. In case you haven't opened your eyes while you watch football (which is what it seems), Roethlisberger is thicker and stronger than either Smith or Manuel. Manuel is a fragile strawman.
    EJ Manuel: 6'6 and 247 lbs frame vs. Ben Roethlisberger: 6'5 and 241 lbs.

That looks pretty similar to me:

And maybe if you could read, you would have noticed I compared Smith's and EJ's mental makeup and not physical abilities.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (02-01-2015),djjimkelly (02-01-2015),Dr. Who (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think the way Roman used Smith in SF, and KC uses him now, is the better formula for EJ to build from. Short passes, quick reads, throw in the occasional run. EJ needs to start somewhere, and if he can't succeed in a Smith-style offense his howitzer arm is a non-issue unless he improves drastically on his accuracy and awareness in the pocket, not to mention reading defenses. IMO considering those weaknesses, if you tailor the gameplan for his downfield throws you might as well tie an anchor to him and watch him sink. Cut him now, because it's extremely unlikely he's going to crash out of the gate this season and all of sudden be light years better than he has in the past.

22. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EJ Manuel: 6'6 and 247 lbs frame vs. Ben Roethlisberger: 6'5 and 241 lbs.

That looks pretty similar to me:

And maybe if you could read, you would have noticed I compared Smith's and EJ's mental makeup and not physical abilities.
    Manuel looks thin and frail. And who cares about his mental makeup when he has no QB instincts whatsoever.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Manuel looks thin and frail. And who cares about his mental makeup when he has no QB instincts whatsoever.
    And not sure where you get 6' 6" and 247.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...5803/ej-manuel

http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/profile

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players...2655/ej-manuel

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Got it from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EJ_Manuel

Other sites have him listed at 6'5 and 237

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=qb

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=qb

Either way, 6'4 and 237 is not that different than Roethlisberger the raper.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the only reason the int numbers aren't higher is because he doesn't throw the ball to covered players, AND he's typically so inacurate it's often not just out of the reach of the WR but the DB. Int numbers aren't everything.
    19 TD's in 14 games is something.

I don't think Trent Edwards ever had 19 TDs in a 16 game season.

And YES ONLY 12 INTS is also something.

NOT RANCID.

27. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (02-01-2015),Dr. Who (02-01-2015)