Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have we all given up on EJ too soon

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Have we all given up on EJ too soon

Look we all know EJ is not going to be an elite top 5 QB who wills his team into super bowl contention despite the talent around him, we get that. What I am asking is does EJ have a chance to develop into a top 16 to lower above average QB area. This is the Dalton, Alex Smith, Tanneyhill area, none of those guys are going to win the game alone and need to be on a good team and they have noticeable weaknesses and can absolutely lose a game for you (Dalton Thursday night vs browns Tanneyhill week 2 against us and both games in 2013). This is the question I have for all of us. Now I fully expect the Bills to bring in 2 FA one with a legit chance to start and probably an older guy to compete with Tuel for the backup job and be a mentor slash last ditch effort if Ej and FA blow up in flames. However, lets just say for the sake of this debate that EJ wins the job. We all agree he has not done anything to ease the concerns but I do believe he has physical traits that can make him an above average QB and help this team. He has a great arm, he is very smart, does work his tail off, can make every throw a pro QB needs to make, his accuracy can be on the money or way off though, and he does not give his WRs a chance on deep balls. I honestly believe the deep ball issue can be resolved and he did make some strides late in his rookie season and even this year that throw to Sammy against the phins was on the money but a great play by Grimes. Heck to be honest I am not sure why I am even posting this because the majority of you do not see an elite QB and will say suck for whomever in 2016. I on the other hand say if Kaep and Dalton can look decent and help teams to playoffs I do not see any reason EJ cannot, hopefully this staff lets him cut loose and he drops that fear of turnover mentality and just plays and fires away.

2. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (01-31-2015),Don't Panic (02-02-2015),kishoph (01-31-2015),trapezeus (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Have we all given up on EJ too soon

Roman said of EJ: "we just have to turn him loose".

I expect Roman to run the same type of offense the 49ers ran with Kaepernick.

I expect EJ to be named the starter. HOPE he plays well.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With the caliber of QBs available in free agency, as well as the fact that we don't have a 1st round pick, EJ is going to be given every chance to win the starting job this coming year. If he can't beat out a 'Matt Moore' type free agent or a middle round rookie QB, then he's got problems...and so do we more than likely.

I think it's safe to say that if EJ earns the starting job this year, everyone on this board will be rooting for him to succeed. EJ becoming an above average QB is a better solution than drafting a QB high next year any way you look at it. If he struggles out of the gate, that's when you're going to see people start talking about drafting a QB high in 2016. I can't root for the Bills to lose, so I'll be backing whoever is behind center all season long.

5. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-30-2015),trapezeus (01-30-2015)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm so tired of everyone saying we can't get a QB because we don't have a first round pick. Even if we did have our first pick at #19, there is no QB in this class that will go in the first round that I think is that much better than EJ or anybody in FA. Any QB we think we might take a shot at will likely be there in the second round.

7. Post thanked by:

Gilly (01-31-2015),Mace (01-30-2015),Meathead (01-31-2015)

SpikedLemonade

I fear it is EJ or bust this year.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
    ~ Frank Zappa

11. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (01-30-2015),jimmifli (01-31-2015),sudzy (01-30-2015),swiper (01-30-2015),WagonCircler (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Even if we had 19 the price to move up to get Mariota (whom I am not sold on) or Winston (best to come out since luck but off field) would be other worldly and Whaley would not do it. Also if Mariota and Winston are considered that good no way Bucs or Titans trade away from him since they need guys as well. As for the gif posted yes he has missed throws and badly, but so do all the QBs in the NFL even Tom and Peyton.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bleve View Post
    While playing "Turn Me Loose" from Loverboy.

ROFL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Even if we had 19 the price to move up to get Mariota (whom I am not sold on) or Winston (best to come out since luck but off field) would be other worldly and Whaley would not do it. Also if Mariota and Winston are considered that good no way Bucs or Titans trade away from him since they need guys as well. As for the gif posted yes he has missed throws and badly, but so do all the QBs in the NFL even Tom and Peyton.
    But Tom and Peyton have both been to the Super Bowl in 2014 or 2015. So stuff a sock in that thought.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,536 Times in 2,763 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Should have hired trestman.
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

16. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It doesn't matter whichever fans think whatever about EJ Manuel. It matters what the coaches think about EJ Manuel. It matters what they think about how he measures up to whomever they bring in to compete. Not too complicated, and this goes without saying.

Seems like EJ will be on the team no matter what next year. Doesn't seem like the Bills will have a chance to bring in a world-beater at QB. He'll have his chance to compete. I don't see what the discussion is here. Anybody that has "given up" on EJ Manuel will be the same people rooting for him if he starts.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    It doesn't matter whichever fans think whatever about EJ Manuel. It matters what the coaches think about EJ Manuel. It matters what they think about how he measures up to whomever they bring in to compete. Not too complicated, and this goes without saying.

Seems like EJ will be on the team no matter what next year. Doesn't seem like the Bills will have a chance to bring in a world-beater at QB. He'll have his chance to compete. I don't see what the discussion is here. Anybody that has "given up" on EJ Manuel will be the same people rooting for him if he starts.
    You'd hope so, but there are some posters who will not be rooting for him. They'd rather be right in their negative certitude than pleasantly surprised.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    I'm so tired of everyone saying we can't get a QB because we don't have a first round pick. Even if we did have our first pick at #19, there is no QB in this class that will go in the first round that I think is that much better than EJ or anybody in FA. Any QB we think we might take a shot at will likely be there in the second round.
    My point is only that we probably won't draft a QB that will start this coming year. We absolutely could find a gem later than the 1st round, but the likelihood of that QB starting in 2015 is pretty low. By starting, I mean week 1. I have to think that EJ has the best chance of winning the starting job week 1, unless we make a trade or an unlikely QB becomes a free agent this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    You'd hope so, but there are some posters who will not be rooting for him. They'd rather be right in their negative certitude than pleasantly surprised.
    Some people are like that, but that's THEIR problem, isn't it?

But I think that a great portion of the people that think none-too-highly of him will root for him anyway if he suits up to start. They'd come equipped with their "I told you so" backup ammo of course, but it's still their own deal.

I think that even his biggest supporters are of the attitude that "we may have given up on him too soon," or that he needs another chance. That's probably the ceiling of his fans in general right now. So the "I told ya so" thing should be kept in everyone's pocket...we know better than that, though...it won't be.

I'll just root for whomever is behind Center. What the hell else would I do?

21. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I won't even be watching if he starts.

It will be back to boozing and skirt chasing for me.

Sunday Funday.

I've already seen the EJ show. It sucks balls. It was a remake of the Trent Edwards show.

If EJ is the plan, then Rex Ryan is a ****ing idiot.

23. Post thanked by:

sudzy (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

he went 2-2 with an offense that was legendarily bad.

i would think scheme and an actual running game could help him significantly.

also having a line that knew what was going on could help. and i don't think our line was bad because the talent isnt there. i think they were poorly coached.

There is always a chance.

25. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-31-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If any fans think EJ Manuel has a chance of being a productive pro, they don't have any idea of what they are looking at. Then again with Dr. WhoWhatWhere, we already know that.

27. Post thanked by:

sudzy (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Considering he's yet to play a full 16 games and was handicapped from the beginning with piss-poor coaching yes, it's still too early to give up on EJ becoming a marginal or better starter. But, when given the chance this season (which he'll get) in practice and games he's going to have to show a helluva lot more than he has up to this point. The lightbulb needs to come on sooner rather than later.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

29. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (01-31-2015),Strongman (01-30-2015),Yasgur's Farm (01-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think EJ will be the starter next year.

Training camp is going to be interesting because everyone is going to be focused on EJ Manuel and how he's playing.

If Manuel continues to show no signs of progress, there's no reason to start him.

I have a feeling that after about a week of training camp, fans and the media are going to be unimpressed and saying the same thing, "Same EJ, poor throws, looks the same as last year."

EJ Manuel has about 2 weeks to prove himself in training camp. That's it.

Put in a rookie, and move on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    If any fans think EJ Manuel has a chance of being a productive pro, they don't have any idea of what they are looking at. Then again with Dr. WhoWhatWhere, we already know that.
    Some people just have a problem of letting go of the dream. Some of us will look at what we've seen from EJ and say "if that's our answer, we are in trouble." Others will try and make excuses for why he sucks and how he is a franchise QB waiting for someone to miraculously transform him into one for as long as he's on the roster. But he's only started 14 games, maybe if we use him like this.... he's only started 20 games, maybe if we use him like that.... he's only started 48 games, maybe....

32. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-30-2015),swiper (01-31-2015),WagonCircler (01-30-2015)