• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: evander kane saga

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Gritty is over rated

I'm so sick of hearing "gritty". The Buffalo attitude that all players need to be blue collar and rough and tough is counter productive after awhile.
    maybe a little

but gritty with talent is not found much these days. How many times did you hear that Myers needed to hit people more often? How much do you hear that the Sabres just chase the other team all night?

Look at the teams who have been winning lately: Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, even St. Louis. These teams a loaded with talent AND players who "do what it takes". I know the Sabres need elite talent, but they also need guys who will lay it out on the line when it's crunch time. (enough trite expressions?) The Sabres need more of those kinds with talent than just guys like Kaleta and Deloreay (no idea how to spell it).

Comment

• gebobs
      One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by coastal View Post
      Myers for Bogosian straight up.
      Gotta admit I haven't followed Bogosian's career since the Thrashers left town. They're about the same age. Both bust into the league on fire offensively and have since cooled off. Myers has struggled defensively but Bogosian has seemingly settled down. The big difference is that Bogosian seemingly can't stay healthy. I don't know why but he averaged only 50 games the last three seasons.

Advantage Jets.

stafford for a goalie prospect.
      Depending on the prospect, advantage to edge Jets.

Kane for a late first and two prospects.
      An injured player for two 1sts and an early 2nd.

Advantage Jets.

Overall...Murray gave up too much. And if tanking was the goal, he muffed that too giving away the Isles pick.
      Last edited by gebobs; 02-11-2015, 10:53 AM.
      Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
        Not a bad deal at all. losing Lemieux hurts because I liked his future, but Armia has been flailing around in the minors for 5 years and is now just starting to get better....Stafford a stiff....Myers a bigger stiff...late 1st round... who cares already have 2 more.
        Trimming the fat is how I see it. Good job.
        Armia has only been the minors for this year and last. From what I remember, he stayed in Finland for a few years after being drafted.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

On tanking, this is for spiked

"Murray must have panicked with that move. He traded away Myers who has started playing better and scored last night plus a roster player for only one current roster player. He must want to lose real bad. And Myers is sent away for almost screwing up a loss."

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
            Armia has only been the minors for this year and last. From what I remember, he stayed in Finland for a few years after being drafted.
            correct. last year was his first NA pro season. hes 21.
            Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
              Not a bad deal at all. losing Lemieux hurts because I liked his future, but Armia has been flailing around in the minors for 5 years and is now just starting to get better....Stafford a stiff....Myers a bigger stiff...late 1st round... who cares already have 2 more.
              Trimming the fat is how I see it. Good job.
              Armia was not in the minors for 5 years.

And Myers is hardly a stiff. That's just silly.
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

maybe a little

but gritty with talent is not found much these days. How many times did you hear that Myers needed to hit people more often? How much do you hear that the Sabres just chase the other team all night?

Look at the teams who have been winning lately: Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, even St. Louis. These teams a loaded with talent AND players who "do what it takes". I know the Sabres need elite talent, but they also need guys who will lay it out on the line when it's crunch time. (enough trite expressions?) The Sabres need more of those kinds with talent than just guys like Kaleta and Deloreay (no idea how to spell it).
                And Myers has been hitting more lately.

How many hits does Patrick Kane have? Even Toews? Crosby? Malkin?
                They chase the other team because their players suck.

There are spots on teams for guys like Pominville, Myers, Ennis, Moulson, etc. who use their skill more than their physicality. Just as teams need physical players.

Not everybody needs to be gritty
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

I could go either way on Myers. He never became the player we thought he would after his rookie season, although he has been better lately.

Stafford is trash. He is the last lingering piece of Darcy's failed experiment and he was gone after the season anyway. Getting a bag of used pucks for him would have been a win.

Player for player the Sabres win on this in the short term. If Armia and the 1st pan out, they may lose in the long term.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gebobs
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
                    the goalie prospect is a long shot, at best. not really a long term solution.
                    A longshot for sure. Native son pick by the Jets, but he's close by at Rensselaer, my alma mater. He played well two seasons ago, was injured last year, and has won the starting role back, but RPI hasn't been doing all that well. Though they're just 9-20-1, they are still ranked 44th...not completely terrible but they won't go to the tourney.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

Kasdorf's RPI stats look pretty good. Hopefully better than the last we got from there.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                        A longshot for sure. Native son pick by the Jets, but he's close by at Rensselaer, my alma mater. He played well two seasons ago, was injured last year, and has won the starting role back, but RPI hasn't been doing all that well. Though they're just 9-20-1, they are still ranked 44th...not completely terrible but they won't go to the tourney.
                        ah, must have seen the old stats. He's big though, TM likes big goalies!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                          And Myers has been hitting more lately.

How many hits does Patrick Kane have? Even Toews? Crosby? Malkin?
                          They chase the other team because their players suck.

There are spots on teams for guys like Pominville, Myers, Ennis, Moulson, etc. who use their skill more than their physicality. Just as teams need physical players.

Not everybody needs to be gritty
                          Never said everybody, but you need SOME talent that has grit. And I'm pretty sure Toews has some grit. Hell Danny Briere has grit. You just can't have all skill guys with no ability or want to go into a corner and get the puck.

Comment

• gebobs
                            • Sep 2003

Kasdorf's RPI stats look pretty good. Hopefully better than the last we got from there.
                            Who? Puppa? Well, if he's better than Puppa, it will be highway robbery. The chances of that are infinitesimal. Puppa was awesome. And a smart feller too. While most of the puckheads were taking Clay For An A, Puppa was majoring in aeronautical engineering.

ah, must have seen the old stats. He's big though, TM likes big goalies!
                            Two years ago he played out of his skull. RPI won 10 of its last 12 games before losing to Brown in the ECACs. Finished ranked about 20th, one of the best seasons since winning it all my senior year in '85 with Oates and Puppa.

Comment

• Dude
                              that slimey ass of an admin at the zone
                              • Feb 2005

I agree with coastal. Overall this is a good deal. It seems like GMTM gave up a lot, but Lemieux/Armia are, as of yet, unproven at the NHL level. GMTM has been stockpiling picks and prospects to start rebuilding the club and to not make moves to that end because you don't want to part with unproven prospects is a terrible strategy.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                                Victimizing The Victimizer
                                • Aug 2012

Doh!!

Comment

Working...
                                X