• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Thurman Thomas on 97Rock this AM

Anybody else catch Thurman on the radio this AM? He basically said the coaching last season was a cluster****, especially regarding EJ Manuel. Marrone, Hackett, the QB coach (I forget his name atm) all telling EJ different things at different times, and no cohesiveness amongst the staff.

Hopefully Marrone bailing is the best thing that could have happened to this team, and many of the players on the offensive side of the ball. Too bad Schwartz and most of the D staff had to be sacrificed with them, though.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Thurman Thomas on 97Rock this AM

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    Anybody else catch Thurman on the radio this AM? He basically said the coaching last season was a cluster****, especially regarding EJ Manuel. Marrone, Hackett, the QB coach (I forget his name atm) all telling EJ different things at different times, and no cohesiveness amongst the staff.

Hopefully Marrone bailing is the best thing that could have happened to this team, and many of the players on the offensive side of the ball. Too bad Schwartz and most of the D staff had to be sacrificed with them, though.
    I'm still baffled by the Ryan hire, though well entertained by Rexfest so far.

I have a feeling Marrone was headed for Jauron Middlin' Land, if being occasionally able to get past 8-8, and that this will shake it up enough to go in one direction or another. I just hope it's the right direction. Still don't really understand why, if they wanted a Defense background guy they didn't just hire Schwartz (though I'm no real fan of Schwartz as an HC) and still get Roman but hey.

I'll admit I'm excited about seeing a Rex Defense with the players we have...and I'm looking forward to seeing what Roman can do, and I'll admit I'm glad Marrone/Hackett/Morris are out of here. Still think they seriously mishandled Manuel from the start, regardless of his eventual results.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mace View Post

I have a feeling Marrone was headed for Jauron Middlin' Land, if being occasionally able to get past 8-8, and that this will shake it up enough to go in one direction or another. I just hope it's the right direction. Still don't really understand why, if they wanted a Defense background guy they didn't just hire Schwartz (though I'm no real fan of Schwartz as an HC) and still get Roman but hey.

I'll admit I'm excited about seeing a Rex Defense with the players we have...and I'm looking forward to seeing what Roman can do, and I'll admit I'm glad Marrone/Hackett/Morris are out of here. Still think they seriously mishandled Manuel from the start, regardless of his eventual results.
      A number of different people have said there is no better motivator than Rex Ryan.

Players, Coaches & members of the media have said this about Rex. I believe that is the reason he was hired by the Pegulas.

Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com was on The Shredd & Ragan show on the EDGE just after Marrone QUIT.

Florio said there was no way in the World Rex would accept the Bills Coaching job.

Florio said Rex would end up in Atlanta or Chicago. Rex was a great get for the Bills & he will make the Bills relevant again real soon.

Comment

• Mace
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by better days View Post
        A number of different people have said there is no better motivator than Rex Ryan.

Players, Coaches & members of the media have said this about Rex. I believe that is the reason he was hired by the Pegulas.
        I'd agree. I think he fired up the Pegulas themselves into the "need to have" mood.

Comment

• DesertFox24
          • Jul 2005

Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack

Comment

• Mace
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
            Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack
            How do you feel about Florio though ?

Comment

• sudzy
              • Apr 2013

Florio said there was no way in the World Rex would accept the Bills Coaching job.

Florio said Rex would end up in Atlanta or Chicago. Rex was a great get for the Bills & he will make the Bills relevant again real soon.

I remember Charley Casserly Saying there was no chance Mario would come to Buffalo. To the national media, Buffalo is NFL Siberia. A place were players and coaches go to die. Pegula and Rex are going to change that view.

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

How the hell would Thurman Thomas know...was he in their meetings?

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post

I don't doubt the coaching sucked. Been saying that for over a year now. And I'm glad Marrone made it easy for the Bills by leaving, otherwise it would have been more of the same, i.e. great defense and ST's and lousy offense.
                  Originally posted by Mace View Post

I also thought the Bills should have gone with an offensive-minded HC. But getting Ryan and hopefully improving the defense, and adding Roman, are pretty good IMHO. And I suspect that if the Bills had selected a first-time HC, Schwartz would have been pissed at being passed-over and left anyway.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                    Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack
                    I'm so tired of mixed messages, why can't anyone just say what they mean anymore?!?
                    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post

Most likely Thurm was told this by players who were Coached by Marrone & his staff.

I posted before YardRat started this thread that I heard Marrone was teaching the OL different techniques than his OL Coaches were teaching.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                        • Jul 2002

I wanted Hue Jackson and to keep Schwartz. I was trying to be cautiously optimistic about Ryan, but I am just plain optimistic recently.
                        I have a feeling it's going to work. We are spending money on quality coaches across the board.
                        You have to believe we will bring in a few significant free agents. Looks like Hughes is likely to be resigned. Now extend Dareus . . .

I hope Thurman isn't just talking out of his hat (or misplaced helmet.) I've been maintaining hope for EJ, despite all the contempt and pessimism thrown his way -- and towards those of us who still give him a shot. Certainly Thurman's surmise is consistent with what some of us have been speculating.

At the very least, even most of the naysayers recognize what a decent and hard-working fellow he is. It would be really nice if he improved a lot with the new regime. The team would instantly become dangerous for anyone to play.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                          I remember Charley Casserly Saying there was no chance Mario would come to Buffalo. To the national media, Buffalo is NFL Siberia. A place were players and coaches go to die. Pegula and Rex are going to change that view.
                          I'll admit I didn't think we'd get Rex either.

Perhaps after all these years of the media treating Buffalo as Siberia and essentially being right, we all got a little North Korea style brainwashed and started believing it.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com was on The Shredd & Ragan show on the EDGE just after Marrone QUIT.

You're only as good as your last performance. What people say doesn't mean squat because Rexys motivation didn't do anything for him with jets. I know he didn't have the talent but it's a wait and see for me with Rexy
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Historian View Post

IIRC he mentioned being around the team and players a lot last season, and expected his 'role' (whatever that was) to be expanded under the new staff.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X