Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thurman Thomas on 97Rock this AM

Thanks
    Thanked 30,587 Times in 17,462 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thurman Thomas on 97Rock this AM

Anybody else catch Thurman on the radio this AM? He basically said the coaching last season was a cluster****, especially regarding EJ Manuel. Marrone, Hackett, the QB coach (I forget his name atm) all telling EJ different things at different times, and no cohesiveness amongst the staff.

Hopefully Marrone bailing is the best thing that could have happened to this team, and many of the players on the offensive side of the ball. Too bad Schwartz and most of the D staff had to be sacrificed with them, though.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

2. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

better days (02-20-2015),BillsFanInNM (02-21-2015),BillsImpossible (02-20-2015),Buddo (02-22-2015),djjimkelly (02-22-2015),Dr. Who (02-21-2015),DynaPaul (02-21-2015),IlluminatusUIUC (02-23-2015),Mace (02-20-2015),Strongman (02-20-2015),The last buffalo fan (02-21-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Thurman Thomas on 97Rock this AM

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Anybody else catch Thurman on the radio this AM? He basically said the coaching last season was a cluster****, especially regarding EJ Manuel. Marrone, Hackett, the QB coach (I forget his name atm) all telling EJ different things at different times, and no cohesiveness amongst the staff.

Hopefully Marrone bailing is the best thing that could have happened to this team, and many of the players on the offensive side of the ball. Too bad Schwartz and most of the D staff had to be sacrificed with them, though.
    I'm still baffled by the Ryan hire, though well entertained by Rexfest so far.

I have a feeling Marrone was headed for Jauron Middlin' Land, if being occasionally able to get past 8-8, and that this will shake it up enough to go in one direction or another. I just hope it's the right direction. Still don't really understand why, if they wanted a Defense background guy they didn't just hire Schwartz (though I'm no real fan of Schwartz as an HC) and still get Roman but hey.

I'll admit I'm excited about seeing a Rex Defense with the players we have...and I'm looking forward to seeing what Roman can do, and I'll admit I'm glad Marrone/Hackett/Morris are out of here. Still think they seriously mishandled Manuel from the start, regardless of his eventual results.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

I have a feeling Marrone was headed for Jauron Middlin' Land, if being occasionally able to get past 8-8, and that this will shake it up enough to go in one direction or another. I just hope it's the right direction. Still don't really understand why, if they wanted a Defense background guy they didn't just hire Schwartz (though I'm no real fan of Schwartz as an HC) and still get Roman but hey.

I'll admit I'm excited about seeing a Rex Defense with the players we have...and I'm looking forward to seeing what Roman can do, and I'll admit I'm glad Marrone/Hackett/Morris are out of here. Still think they seriously mishandled Manuel from the start, regardless of his eventual results.
    A number of different people have said there is no better motivator than Rex Ryan.

Players, Coaches & members of the media have said this about Rex. I believe that is the reason he was hired by the Pegulas.

Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com was on The Shredd & Ragan show on the EDGE just after Marrone QUIT.

Florio said there was no way in the World Rex would accept the Bills Coaching job.

Florio said Rex would end up in Atlanta or Chicago. Rex was a great get for the Bills & he will make the Bills relevant again real soon.

5. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-20-2015),djjimkelly (02-22-2015),Dr. Who (02-21-2015),kishoph (02-24-2015),Mace (02-20-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    A number of different people have said there is no better motivator than Rex Ryan.

Players, Coaches & members of the media have said this about Rex. I believe that is the reason he was hired by the Pegulas.
    I'd agree. I think he fired up the Pegulas themselves into the "need to have" mood.

7. Post thanked by:

better days (02-20-2015),Dr. Who (02-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack

9. Post thanked by:

better days (02-20-2015),DynaPaul (02-21-2015),GvilleBills (02-21-2015),IlluminatusUIUC (02-23-2015),Mr. Miyagi (02-21-2015),realdealryan (02-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack
    How do you feel about Florio though ?

11. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (02-20-2015),Dr. Who (02-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Florio said there was no way in the World Rex would accept the Bills Coaching job.

Florio said Rex would end up in Atlanta or Chicago. Rex was a great get for the Bills & he will make the Bills relevant again real soon.

I remember Charley Casserly Saying there was no chance Mario would come to Buffalo. To the national media, Buffalo is NFL Siberia. A place were players and coaches go to die. Pegula and Rex are going to change that view.

13. Post thanked by:

better days (02-21-2015),Dr. Who (02-21-2015),DynaPaul (02-21-2015)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,342 Times in 15,477 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How the hell would Thurman Thomas know...was he in their meetings?

15. Post thanked by:

swiper (02-21-2015),WagonCircler (02-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,098 Times in 3,577 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post

I don't doubt the coaching sucked. Been saying that for over a year now. And I'm glad Marrone made it easy for the Bills by leaving, otherwise it would have been more of the same, i.e. great defense and ST's and lousy offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

I also thought the Bills should have gone with an offensive-minded HC. But getting Ryan and hopefully improving the defense, and adding Roman, are pretty good IMHO. And I suspect that if the Bills had selected a first-time HC, Schwartz would have been pissed at being passed-over and left anyway.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack

- - - Updated - - -

Florio is a hack
    I'm so tired of mixed messages, why can't anyone just say what they mean anymore?!?
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

18. Post thanked by:

better days (02-21-2015),IlluminatusUIUC (02-23-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

Most likely Thurm was told this by players who were Coached by Marrone & his staff.

I posted before YardRat started this thread that I heard Marrone was teaching the OL different techniques than his OL Coaches were teaching.

20. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (02-22-2015),Historian (02-21-2015),kishoph (02-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I wanted Hue Jackson and to keep Schwartz. I was trying to be cautiously optimistic about Ryan, but I am just plain optimistic recently.
    I have a feeling it's going to work. We are spending money on quality coaches across the board.
    You have to believe we will bring in a few significant free agents. Looks like Hughes is likely to be resigned. Now extend Dareus . . .

I hope Thurman isn't just talking out of his hat (or misplaced helmet.) I've been maintaining hope for EJ, despite all the contempt and pessimism thrown his way -- and towards those of us who still give him a shot. Certainly Thurman's surmise is consistent with what some of us have been speculating.

At the very least, even most of the naysayers recognize what a decent and hard-working fellow he is. It would be really nice if he improved a lot with the new regime. The team would instantly become dangerous for anyone to play.

22. Post thanked by:

better days (02-21-2015),Buddo (02-22-2015),tomz (02-21-2015),YardRat (02-21-2015)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    I remember Charley Casserly Saying there was no chance Mario would come to Buffalo. To the national media, Buffalo is NFL Siberia. A place were players and coaches go to die. Pegula and Rex are going to change that view.
    I'll admit I didn't think we'd get Rex either.

Perhaps after all these years of the media treating Buffalo as Siberia and essentially being right, we all got a little North Korea style brainwashed and started believing it.

24. Post thanked by:

better days (02-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,482 Times in 7,097 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com was on The Shredd & Ragan show on the EDGE just after Marrone QUIT.

You're only as good as your last performance. What people say doesn't mean squat because Rexys motivation didn't do anything for him with jets. I know he didn't have the talent but it's a wait and see for me with Rexy

Thanks
    Thanked 30,587 Times in 17,462 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

IIRC he mentioned being around the team and players a lot last season, and expected his 'role' (whatever that was) to be expanded under the new staff.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thurman Thomas can say whatever he wants. But the FACT remains that Marrone took the Bills, and their lousy offense lead by their lousy QBing to a 9-7 record. Better than the 4 guys before him. I didn't like the Marrone hire. Never liked him much. But he did what he did. And beat Ryan twice last year with those QBs.

And Ryan is such a great motivator he took those AFC championship teams right down to 4 - 12. Another FACT.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    You're only as good as your last performance. What people say doesn't mean squat because Rexys motivation didn't do anything for him with jets. I know he didn't have the talent but it's a wait and see for me with Rexy
    I don't think anyone should have any problem with wait & see.

It is when people are not willing to do that is when there is a problem IMO.

29. Post thanked by:

Buddo (02-22-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Thurman Thomas can say whatever he wants. But the FACT remains that Marrone took the Bills, and their lousy offense lead by their lousy QBing to a 9-7 record. Better than the 4 guys before him. I didn't like the Marrone hire. Never liked him much. But he did what he did. And beat Ryan twice last year with those QBs.

And Ryan is such a great motivator he took those AFC championship teams right down to 4 - 12. Another FACT.
    Yeah, Rex got rid of all the GOOD players on the Jets & drafted CRAP to replace them.

Did not sign any needed Free Agents.

Never mind, it was Idzik that did that.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, Rex got rid of all the GOOD players on the Jets & drafted CRAP to replace them.

Did not sign any needed Free Agents.

Never mind, it was Idzik that did that.
    Yeah. We did this exercise already. For the mentally challenged that need it again. Idzik brought:

Eric Decker & Percy Harvin - drastically upgraded WR corps

Chris Ivory & Chris Johnson

Mike Vick after dumping Tannenbaum's idea of Tim Tebow. Vick was considered one of the best choices at that time. And he had played in Marty Mornhinweg's Eagle offense.

He dumped Sanchez and a dead Bart Scott. He added Willie Colon, Dawan Landry, Antoine Barnes and got them former Seahawk Breno Giacomini.

He brought several good draft picks to the team in 2 short years: Calvin Pace, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, and Jace Amaro.

So he did nothing but bolster the Jets roster. A roster with a solid d-line and LBs as well as D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

And your fat, bumbling boy Rex Ryan lied to Chris Johnson. Johnson told Rich Eisen this week:

“When I sat down and talked to Rex before I signed with the Jets, my role and my situation was explained to me totally different to what actually happened,” Johnson said
    Again. Rex Ryan refuses to be a head coach and be involved in the offense. It was his failure with the Jets. Not the GM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Yeah. We did this exercise already. For the mentally challenged that need it again. Idzik brought:

Eric Decker & Percy Harvin - drastically upgraded WR corps

Chris Ivory & Chris Johnson

Mike Vick after dumping Tannenbaum's idea of Tim Tebow. Vick was considered one of the best choices at that time. And he had played in Marty Mornhinweg's Eagle offense.

He dumped Sanchez and a dead Bart Scott. He added Willie Colon, Dawan Landry, Antoine Barnes and got them former Seahawk Breno Giacomini.

He brought several good draft picks to the team in 2 short years: Calvin Pace, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, and Jace Amaro.

So he did nothing but bolster the Jets roster. A roster with a solid d-line and LBs as well as D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

And your fat, bumbling boy Rex Ryan lied to Chris Johnson. Johnson told Rich Eisen this week:

Again. Rex Ryan refuses to be a head coach and be involved in the offense. It was his failure with the Jets. Not the GM.
    ANYONE that thinks those players Brought ANYTHING of VALUE to the Jets is mentally challenged.

The Jets #1 NEED was DB's

And Chris Johnson said it was not Rex's decision about what happened to him, it was Idzik that LIED according to Johnson.