Thread: Just a thought, but if the 49ers were to move on from Frank Gore, could he be a Bill?

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just a thought, but if the 49ers were to move on from Frank Gore, could he be a Bill?

This is all assuming they do cut Gore (I've seen rumors circulating that its a possibility - maybe not likely but might happen), but does Roman push to pick up Gore? Would he even be worth it?

I think hes actually a pretty similar back to Freddie, so it might not be worth it, plus he doesnt have much tread left on his tires. Just saw an article speculating that the Niners revamp their offense and thought it might be an interesting move.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Just a thought, but if the 49ers were to move on from Frank Gore, could he be a B

The results from aging free agent running backs with lots of miles on their bodies are not encouraging.

3. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-27-2015),Night Train (02-28-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Just a thought, but if the 49ers were to move on from Frank Gore, could he be a B

We already have Fred, don't news another aging back

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I posted about this before.

And yes Gore is aging, but like Fred he can still be productive.

Would be a good pick up at the right price IMO.

Surfing on the Edge of Infinity
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We'll be the NFL's running back nursing home. They can have matching buffalo blue wheelchairs.

We could pick up Ronnie Brown too.
    Last edited by Lucidvizion; 02-27-2015 at 07:55 AM.

7. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,297 Times in 13,727 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

RB's are too easy to find. Spending big money on an aging FA RB just doesn't make sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd like somebody from the draft, that's young.

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We could hope they make a mistake and cut Hyde instead? lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,297 Times in 13,727 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
    We could hope they make a mistake and cut Hyde instead? lol.
    Heh, you never know. The Broncos accidentally cut Dumerville a few years back.

12. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-27-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

frankly im not even sure they keep freddie

if they sign hughes, the bills cap will be clearly unbalanced along the roster, they have to make that up somewhere. spillers contract is the most obvious candidate, which is why he is virtually guaranteed to be gone. freddies leadership is very valuable, and he was miraculously still highly productive last season. but hes got the salary of a veteran and his clock is going to strike twelve any day now. so hes another prime candidate for release consideration if/when something comes up where they have to consider cap ramifications (which is often)

with the emergence of plug-and-play rbs in the nfl it doesnt make much sense to pay aging rbs. freddie has the advantage of being firmly entrenched as a warrior and vital team leader, but when you could get 2-3 young guys at his position full of burst and energy for his salary you have to consider it
    Last edited by Meathead; 02-27-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,293 Times in 15,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    frankly im not even sure they keep freddie
    Freddie so much reminds me of Robb Riddick in the 80's.

Rare physical specimen...team leader...been a member through most of the down years...but still produces.

Riddick was on special teams in 1987 (his 7th year) and was blocking punts. He had a game at RB in 1988 in Seattle, where even Chuck Knox came out to congratulate him after the game.

Fred is a lot like that. I think it would have to be someone really talented to bump him from the roster.

Just my 2 cents.

15. Post thanked by:

better days (02-27-2015),The last buffalo fan (02-27-2015),YardRat (02-27-2015)

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A lot of miles on those tires. Freddie is old but he's only been to the shop a few times… Gore has been abused for nearly a decade.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

17. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-27-2015),YardRat (02-27-2015)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I think it would have to be someone really talented to bump him from the roster.

Just my 2 cents.
    I agree, I can't see the Bills cutting Freddie, especially with Rex as the new coach. He's seems like the type of guy that Rex wants playing for him.

19. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-27-2015)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    I agree, I can't see the Bills cutting Freddie, especially with Rex as the new coach. He's seems like the type of guy that Rex wants playing for him.
    Nor can I. He isn't expensive, he played well enough last season, Spiller is probably gone. Cutting him - if that's what makes sense - makes no sense until the end of the pre-season. Unless they are worried about some other team plucking a promising player as the roster reductions work out. But jeeze, when was the last time another club plucked a BUF player?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

21. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (02-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Freddie so much reminds me of Robb Riddick in the 80's.

Rare physical specimen...team leader...been a member through most of the down years...but still produces.

Riddick was on special teams in 1987 (his 7th year) and was blocking punts. He had a game at RB in 1988 in Seattle, where even Chuck Knox came out to congratulate him after the game.

Fred is a lot like that. I think it would have to be someone really talented to bump him from the roster.

Just my 2 cents.
    I met Robb Riddick at Sunset Bay just before the start of TC his rookie year.

Like Fred, Robb is a great guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Aren't Gore and Jackson the two oldest RBs in the NFL to get starting reps? Rather keep FJax.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Freddie so much reminds me of Robb Riddick in the 80's.s.
    Except for the coke.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
    This is all assuming they do cut Gore (I've seen rumors circulating that its a possibility - maybe not likely but might happen), but does Roman push to pick up Gore? Would he even be worth it?

I think hes actually a pretty similar back to Freddie, so it might not be worth it, plus he doesnt have much tread left on his tires. Just saw an article speculating that the Niners revamp their offense and thought it might be an interesting move.
    Gore doesn't have to be cut he's set to be an UFA. Yet if you review his numbers last year with a fine tooth comb (ie game logs vs season totals). http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...479/frank-gore He looks like he needs to get at least twenty carries to go over the century mark which I don't think he'd do here with Freddie/Bryce and Boobie in the fold. I think we're going to take someone in the draft and if the reports of this being a strong RB draft we might do so in Round 3 or 5 and allow us to take the most talented player with our pick in Round 2. Personally I'd be happy if we can come away with any of these three RBs. Jay Ajayi, David Johnson or Javorius "Buck" Allen. As I think all can contribute in the passing game as rookies and eventually be guys that could be more complete RBs in a year or two.

26. Post thanked by:

GvilleBills (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Gore doesn't have to be cut he's set to be an UFA. Yet if you review his numbers last year with a fine tooth comb (ie game logs vs season totals). http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...479/frank-gore He looks like he needs to get at least twenty carries to go over the century mark which I don't think he'd do here with Freddie/Bryce and Boobie in the fold. I think we're going to take someone in the draft and if the reports of this being a strong RB draft we might do so in Round 3 or 5 and allow us to take the most talented player with our pick in Round 2. Personally I'd be happy if we can come away with any of these three RBs. Jay Ajayi, David Johnson or Javorius "Buck" Allen. As I think all can contribute in the passing game as rookies and eventually be guys that could be more complete RBs in a year or two.
    Count me in on the Buck Allen train.
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Allen is one of the top RBs between the tackles this year IMO. Very good vision in traffic.