• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: I can't believe the stupidity of Bills fans

And posted an article here where Peter King posits that Rex Ryan is just biding his time here for a few days before he brings David Harris aboard.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
      Don't even try and act like losing Rivers is any kind of problem

And did they really lose Alonso?

He didn't play last year. So how are they losing Alonso from last year's defense?
      I wasn't counting Rivers. I was counting Alonso, Spikes and Hughes assuming Hughes would be a 3-4 OLB.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

OK - so they have $18 million in cap space now.

Cut Urbik (not a real loss). It's up to $21 million.

So, even without restructuring that's still a good sized hunk (and you don't know that they haven't approached somebody about a resturcture. It happens all the time all around the league. It's a pretty routine thing. (which, BTW, isn't smart to do until it's necessary because you might as well take the hit if you can in the current year.)

So, with $21 million in cap space they can:

1. Sign a guard with a cap hit of 4 million. Shoul be a decent guy. Not Iupati, but a decent guard 17 million remaining)
        2. Sign a TE with a hit of 4 million. Gresham? (13 million remaining)
        3. Sign rookies (about 4.5 million - perhaps less but I'll use that number) (8.5 million remianing)
        4. Sign a QB. This is the tricky part. Who do they get? The pickings are slim. So I'll say a hit of 6.5 million. More than Orton. ( 2 million remaining)

Of course, they can create more space. Cut Chris Williams. The re-sctructure thing. And so on.

It really isn't the end of the world.
        Well, in that scenario, you have (a) not replaced Hughes, Searcy or Spikes (I think those three combined for a cap hit of around $8.5 million last year), (b) still need money for restricted free agents like Hogan and Bryant, and (c) still need depth/special teams guys to replace Wynn, Rivers, Easley, etc.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by EDS View Post
          Well, in that scenario, you have (a) not replaced Hughes, Searcy or Spikes (I think those three combined for a cap hit of around $8.5 million last year), (b) still need money for restricted free agents like Hogan and Bryant, and (c) still need depth/special teams guys to replace Wynn, Rivers, Easley, etc.
          Cassell's cap hit is 4.75.

So add another 1.8 million to my 2 million. Up to 3.8

That will take care of most of that - the RFA and ERFA don't get much, nor will replacing the guys you mentioned.

At most, they might need to create a few million of room
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Cassell's cap hit is 4.75.

So add another 1.8 million to my 2 million. Up to 3.8

That will take care of most of that - the RFA and ERFA don't get much, nor will replacing the guys you mentioned.

At most, they might need to create a few million of room
            As long as the organization is o.k. replacing three defensive starters with low cost options then your plan works.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

$4.75 for Cassell- down to $13.25 already.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                As long as the organization is o.k. replacing three defensive starters with low cost options then your plan works.
                Spikes was on the field for less than half the plays last year.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

When has this team ever not had a Pro Bowl caliber halfback? This team has invested more picks and energy at the halfback position then probably any other franchise. What has it gotten us? It hasn't gotten us to the playoffs, it's barely even gotten us to winning seasons or above average offenses.

This is this the same foolish mistake we've been making for years. We just took an expensive halfback and put him behind a garbage offensive line with no quarterback (Cassel is at best a bridge option). Its entirely backwards. Halfbacks should be like mistresses: young, cheap, and quickly replaced when either of those things change. McCoy might "only" be 27, but he's already played 6 seasons with 5 as a featured back. He might play two more years and drop off a cliff, like so many halfbacks do at age 29. If we're unlucky it might be sooner than that. Maurice Jones-Drew went from franchise halfback to a busted committee back before his 29th birthday. Ditto Chris Johnson. Ray Rice looked a little worn out in 2013, and that dude was only 26. Would people still be ecstatic about this trade if we only got two good seasons out of McCoy and then had to cut him over his cap hit?

So let's talk about his cap hit. We don't carry over his bonuses, so his cap hits are 9.75 million / 6.9 million / 7.6 million. As of 2015, with Jackson and Dixon both making 7 figures, that puts us as $14 million in cap on halfbacks. That is the second highest in the league and 10% of our total salary cap. We could mitigate that figure severely if we cut Fred Jackson, but how many people are on board with that? Meanwhile, this NFL draft is thick with halfbacks who would cost about 1/10th of McCoy's contract, on top of being 3-6 years younger.

So what about Alonso? I've read some ridiculous things on this board since the trade, like this right in the original post:
                  But the team is stacked at LB, and could afford to trade him.
                  In what way is this team "stacked" at LB? Even if you assume all our DEs are OLBs in the new scheme, our current lineup that's under contract is:
                  Preston Brown
                  Nigel Bradham
                  Mario Williams
                  Manny Lawson
                  Randell Johnson
                  Ty Powell

Johnson and Powell are nothing special, Preston Brown has never played in the 3-4 that I can find, and Bradham was (charitably) average in Pettine's scheme. I think it's also telling that people are slamming Alonso because he only played one good season, and yet convinced that Brown will be a stud even though he's only played one good season.

- - - Updated - - -

Spikes was on the field for less than half the plays last year.
                  And Rivers was on the field for less than 18%. But someone has to take those snaps now, and that someone is likely to be worse.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                    Manny Lawson
                    I did forget Manny Lawson but lets be honest with ourselves... Should we really even count him? He'll probably be cut by camp...
                    Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• Herd bull
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post
                      If 1,300 yard is your worst season, When you touched the ball less than 20 times a game half the season, Welcome to the team.
                      That is also my thinking.

Comment

• Topas
                        German smartass
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        I'm sure they'll attempt to address it. But they may not get the guys they want because FA is the player's decision in the end. As of right now, we don't have the OL to make this work and it's a huge gamble to just assume we can fix it in FA.
                        Ok, so that means it would have been better to first adress the O Line and then trade for Shady. Are you kidding me. You do realize that FA is just about to start and there was no draft. So they will still have a possibility to fill the holes. Even without a first rounder.
                        But if they had waited for that the trade might not have been available anymore. Think about that.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                          its the age/cost/value equation that is a question mark to me

historically this is the season for him to start losing abilities reflected in stats. should still be highly productive for a couple seasons but is what the bills are giving up in an excellent prospect and a 7/8/9+ million salary difference the next few years worth it?

tough call. pretty much depends on what happens with the bills the next few years, as well as how well kiko does in philly. so we really wont know how good/bad a move this was for a couple seasons

I heard on WGR yesterday that the Bills are not worried about the long term for McCoy.

The Bills want production from him NOW.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                            TE. we lost 3 LB's and are switching systems on D. Searcy needs to be resigned or replaced.
                            Manny Lawson rarely saw the field last year.

I expect him to see much more playing time in Rex's defense, like he did when Pettine was DC.

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

I think what both of these trades show is that the Bills will make any move that gets them into the post season, NOW, while this is still a top defense.

Comment

• Night Train
                                Retired - On Several Levels
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
                                I did forget Manny Lawson but lets be honest with ourselves... Should we really even count him? He'll probably be cut by camp...
                                I would tend to think he's the ideal standup 3-4 end/LB in many schemes, with his size. He has played well since arriving here.
                                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                                X