Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rex reportedly wanted Kiko out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rex reportedly wanted Kiko out

We will definitely miss him in pass coverage.

Again, he had the 4th highest pass coverage grade since 2007 for an inside backer. This is with great cover linebackers like Willis and Bowman in the league, playing inside. Where are we going to find a guy who can cover, Bradham is the only one right now with some range.

We ran a lot of split safety coverage last year, lots of 2 read/quarters, our LBs weren't asked to man up. Cover LBs are valuable, but the Bills dont value it, that's fine. Just don't bring in a bum like David Harris, please, don't bring him in here. Waste of money.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Kyle Orton and our hapless offense dropped 80 points on Rex Ryan's scheme that "works". He's obviously not immune to mistakes.
    Who said anything like that?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    Who said anything like that?
    How else should I interpret "we know his scheme works"?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think this might be true. I'm sorry to see Kiko go and I think, if healthy, he'll be very good. All that said, regardless of motivation, I think Buffalo wins this trade.
    Dunno. They will potentially pay a lot of $ for a runner who earned his dough thanks to his outside game, with BUF having an OL that isn't notable for making the blocks to spring same.

They really paid top price in face of the current conventional wisdom about spending big bux for rbs as well as what the draft pundits say - this is a very deep rookie rb draft. We will see.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How else should I interpret "we know his scheme works"?
    In a way where "works" does not equal "is perfect."

Last year wasn't a good year in terms of points for Ryan's defense, but I think the entirety of his career speaks to a scheme that is successful.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Dunno. They will potentially pay a lot of $ for a runner who earned his dough thanks to his outside game, with BUF having an OL that isn't notable for making the blocks to spring same.

They really paid top price in face of the current conventional wisdom about spending big bux for rbs as well as what the draft pundits say - this is a very deep rookie rb draft. We will see.
    It's a risk. I expect more upgrades to the o-line. This trade increases my expectation.
    I think more guaranteed money will be paid to McCoy to lessen the cap hit.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    It's a risk. I expect more upgrades to the o-line. This trade increases my expectation.
    I think more guaranteed money will be paid to McCoy to lessen the cap hit.
    I agree about the guaranteed $. The fragile head of His Highness must be petted.

Other than Ernie Warlick and then a few half-way decent ones along the way, BUF haven't got their hands on an above-average TE (and they have drafted plenty)since the ancient days.

What they da*n well better do is keep blocking TEs on staff. If Chandler's contract is up, ink him and same for Smith.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    He couldn't take the pounding inside and his play dropped dramatically towards the end of 2013. He was going outside last year before the injury. The Bills didn't miss him at all last year as the LB play and run D improved dramatically with Bradham and Brown.

Enter Rex and his D calling for bigger guys on the outside. Lawson fits with this and even Mario Williams if showing a 3-4 look.

Like a said before, I love Kiko and his hustle but he reminds me too much of Shane Conlin, who's body couldn't take the pounding and broke down quickly.

Not making biased excuses and wish the guy all the best ..but decisions like this are made every day. 2 Major ACL recontructive surgeries in 3 years.

That we got McCoy for him is just shocking to me. No other person would have accepted that deal straight up other than Chip Kelly, with homer eyes (Oregon) influencing his decision.
    Post of the year for 2015!!!

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

****. Like we haven't seen this before.

"This really good football player doesn't fit our scheme, so we are going to go get a pretty good football player that does fit to replace him and we will improve because my scheme is more important than talent."
    Bill Belichick quote??

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kyle Orton and our hapless offense dropped 80 points on Rex Ryan's scheme that "works". He's obviously not immune to mistakes.
    That had more to do with Jets PLAYERS that were not immune to mistakes than Rex IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This whole thread is off. I don't like the way it's being characterized that Ryan sought to trade Alonzo. Alonzo is a very talented player but the type of player he is and considering our current roster having him here next year would have been a luxury. Ryan was seeking turning a luxury into a necessity. There is no need to negate Alonzo in Ryan's mind to achieve what happened and I really doubt Ryan has that kind of mind-set.

Same mis-direction in the quote below. Not a convenient "throw-in" but the the thing that made sure they dumped his contract on us and not another team. Sounds like some value to me.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    IIRC, the discussions going around at the time was the possibility of moving Alonso outside, and how the more defined responsibilities of an OLB vs. MLB would reduce his ability to flow to the action.

I think Alonzo was a convenient "throw-in" for PHI's goal of canning McCoy and his contract.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    That had more to do with Jets PLAYERS that were not immune to mistakes than Rex IMO.
    That's the point. You can scheme around some weak players on offense, but on defense you need talent.

13. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't care what rationale everyone uses, Kiko is still the man.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    So Rex's scheme of rush 4 on 1st and 2nd down, and then rush everyone on 3rd down wasnt the issue? Please, all Rex does is try to fit a square peg in a round hole every year. He just went out and got a non ground and pound RB for what he is trying to turn into a ground and pound offense. Rex is gonna Rex.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    In a way where "works" does not equal "is perfect."

Last year wasn't a good year in terms of points for Ryan's defense, but I think the entirety of his career speaks to a scheme that is successful.
    A lot of defensive systems will be successful so long as they have a Revis Island.