Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (03-05-2015)

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Article on Cassel - Makes Sense

Does make sense. He is being brought in the manage the game, not turn the ball over, etc. We will be a similar team to last year except hopefully more consistent if we can improve our OL play, which will in turn obviously help the Shady and Fjax, improve 3rd down efficiency - and running the ball and converting 3rd downs were 2 big areas of concern last year.

If we can even be a slightly better, more consistent offensive team than our 9-7 team last year, I dont think a return to the playoffs is unreasonable at all. We were in a lot of close games last year and I expect more of the same this year, so consistency is key.

4. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There is definitely a lot of truth to this article. Even though we gave up draft picks for Cassel does not mean he is a lock to start. The national media thinks that Cassel starting is a sure thing but I'm not buying that. We are most likely going to draft a guy. Could be in 2nd or 3rd round. EJ Manuel still has a chance to win this qb job and there might be a late cut after the draft that no one sees coming. A band aid? Maybe. I see this more as an insurance policy. It's an insurance policy that 1. Pays out of EJ still hasn't taken the next step 2. EJ has taken the next step but gets injured so we have a capable back up in times of need or an extended period of time 3. The guy we may possibly draft can't win the starting job and EJ still does not progress. Russel Wilson was taken in the 3rd round and Matt Flynn was demoted after Seattle gave up a lot for him. Cassel won't be near as tough as a pill to swallow but no one ever talks about what Seattle lost in that deal because they have two super bowl appearances and one SB win to show for it. If Russel Wilson can slip through the cracks maybe someone else can too. Again, I don't necessarily see this as a band aid because unlike the national media I don't believe that Cassel is a lock to start. I see this more as an insurance policy in case all else fails.
    Jeremy Cupp

6. Post thanked by:

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
    There is definitely a lot of truth to this article. Even though we gave up draft picks for Cassel does not mean he is a lock to start. The national media thinks that Cassel starting is a sure thing but I'm not buying that. We are most likely going to draft a guy. Could be in 2nd or 3rd round. EJ Manuel still has a chance to win this qb job and there might be a late cut after the draft that no one sees coming. A band aid? Maybe. I see this more as an insurance policy. It's an insurance policy that 1. Pays out of EJ still hasn't taken the next step 2. EJ has taken the next step but gets injured so we have a capable back up in times of need or an extended period of time 3. The guy we may possibly draft can't win the starting job and EJ still does not progress. Russel Wilson was taken in the 3rd round and Matt Flynn was demoted after Seattle gave up a lot for him. Cassel won't be near as tough as a pill to swallow but no one ever talks about what Seattle lost in that deal because they have two super bowl appearances and one SB win to show for it. If Russel Wilson can slip through the cracks maybe someone else can too. Again, I don't necessarily see this as a band aid because unlike the national media I don't believe that Cassel is a lock to start. I see this more as an insurance policy in case all else fails.
    I don't think he's a lock to start either but this IS the last shot for Manuel with a new staff. Can't blame those for assuming Cassel will start after Manuel was yanked for Orton last season. If he doesn't show it this camp, he may stick around as a backup or be gone before opening day, when another Vet is signed.

Just saying " draft one in rounds 2 or 3 " doesn't mean there is a QB with any upside there and this year it's paper thin. They may be done for now with Cassel, Manuel and Tuel. Another Vet could be added late in the summer after cuts.

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I still hope we add someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

10. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,898 Times in 4,020 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

yeah, well..he's a QB that can hit a short and sometimes intermediate pass when he has 4 seconds to throw, when the receiver has 3 yards of separation and when the RB is forcing the defense to play the run, and when he has a clear running lane.

When everything is perfect, he can have a decent passer rating. In other words, the standard MO for a recent USC QB not named Carson Palmer. Take them out of their comfort zone in ANY respect and they're in trouble. Its kind of like watching a guy look good throwing at the Combine or his Pro Day, and watching the difference when he's in live action.

That's what he had in his one good year in KC. Everything was in place for one year.

The author probably should have looked at what happened the next 3 years with him in KC, when everything wasn't so perfect. It became clear to them that he wasn't the answer by the next season.

Not that there were options out there, (outside of maybe Bradford).

But frankly, the best hope is that EJ gets over his case of the yips and just throws the ball. Cassel won't be in a position in the Buffalo offense where everything is perfect.

12. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (03-05-2015),swiper (03-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,560 Times in 17,444 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    yeah, well..he's a QB that can hit a short and sometimes intermediate pass when he has 4 seconds to throw, when the receiver has 3 yards of separation and when the RB is forcing the defense to play the run, and when he has a clear running lane.

When everything is perfect, he can have a decent passer rating. In other words, the standard MO for a recent USC QB not named Carson Palmer. Take them out of their comfort zone in ANY respect and they're in trouble. Its kind of like watching a guy look good throwing at the Combine or his Pro Day, and watching the difference when he's in live action.

That's what he had in his one good year in KC. Everything was in place for one year.

The author probably should have looked at what happened the next 3 years with him in KC, when everything wasn't so perfect. It became clear to them that he wasn't the answer by the next season.

But frankly, the best hope is that EJ gets over his case of the yips and just throws the ball. Cassel won't be in a position in the Buffalo offense where everything is perfect.
    For the life of me, I have no idea why somebody in EJ's position hasn't gone balls out and hired somebody to help him with some intensive personal coaching/training during the off season. Maybe I'm mistaken and he has, and nobody has heard about it, but in today's world I find that highly unlikely.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

14. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (03-05-2015),Mace (03-05-2015),Night Train (03-06-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

It all comes back to the same thing. Cassel thrived in a Weis running game oriented offense with the Chiefs. If Manuel has a prayer of being a pro yet, he will too. Cassel had two good years. The other was with new England, because when Brady got hurt they shifted to more running game.

When Weis left KC, they tried to use him as an arm, the NFL was changing. He's not a gunslinger. They wanted one. They shifted to Cassel friendly and booted him under Reid, because they found the ultimate Cassel, Alex Smith.

Cassel or Manuel now, they aren't wanting a QB who will "throw the ball". They're wanting a play action mistake minimizer. That's sort of what Marrone/Hackett drummed into Manuels head for better or worse, and that's what Cassel does best. Bradford throws. They are not wanting a thrower.

Previous QB expectations and wants are out the window now. These guys, better or worse are all about running game and running to set up the pass. Efficient smallball passes mostly. Trent Edwards work but closer to the marker without dumb decisions.

Cassel is fine at this. He's not thriving because the game changed to passing maniacs. Bills are going retro though.

I'm not saying it is right and works, but the world changed in what they want from a QB. They don't want a thrower.

16. Post thanked by:

swiper (03-06-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    For the life of me, I have no idea why somebody in EJ's position hasn't gone balls out and hired somebody to help him with some intensive personal coaching/training during the off season. Maybe I'm mistaken and he has, and nobody has heard about it, but in today's world I find that highly unlikely.
    Bothered me a lot too, until I realized they don't want him to be an elite QB and he realizes it. They basically scaled down to what they have already drummed into his head. Smallball, no mistakes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like the signing for all the reasons the article mentions, plus he has been in the Patriots* system. Perhaps he can give Rex some insights into it which will help him counteract their offense.

19. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    It all comes back to the same thing. Cassel thrived in a Weis running game oriented offense with the Chiefs. If Manuel has a prayer of being a pro yet, he will too. Cassel had two good years. The other was with new England, because when Brady got hurt they shifted to more running game.

When Weis left KC, they tried to use him as an arm, the NFL was changing. He's not a gunslinger. They wanted one. They shifted to Cassel friendly and booted him under Reid, because they found the ultimate Cassel, Alex Smith.
    Nah, he threw about as much per game in '11 as he did in '10. He lost Charles in '11 and the running game was still there, but wasn't quite as good. But he was throwing on 3rd and 6, instead of 3rd and 2.

Basically, when asked to do anything more except in perfect conditions..he failed. It was really a case of his limitations being exposed than anything.

How bad did he get? In a momentary classless move by Chiefs fans, he was actually cheered when he got a concussion. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Cassel or Manuel now, they aren't wanting a QB who will "throw the ball". They're wanting a play action mistake minimizer. That's sort of what Marrone/Hackett drummed into Manuels head for better or worse, and that's what Cassel does best. Bradford throws. They are not wanting a thrower.

Previous QB expectations and wants are out the window now. These guys, better or worse are all about running game and running to set up the pass. Efficient smallball passes mostly. Trent Edwards work but closer to the marker without dumb decisions.

Cassel is fine at this. He's not thriving because the game changed to passing maniacs. Bills are going retro though.

I'm not saying it is right and works, but the world changed in what they want from a QB. They don't want a thrower.
    I very much agree that pickin's are pretty slim this year. I just don't have much hope for an offense with Cassel leading it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I don't know what he's doing in the offseason. Personally, I think he'd do himself a world of good by thinking less and just throwing.

He made a comment in OTA's last year that I thought summed a number of things up with him. It was something to the effect of :

"these plays are set up so well, and you see the WR open, and just before you release the ball, you start worrying about screwing up".

Just throw it...nothing to lose.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have more hope with Cassel leading the offense than Manuel. Much more. Even agreeing with your assessment of his skills and history.