Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutler may get cut next week....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Cutler may get cut next week....

at some point, the bills will have to get back to the idea of building through a draft. all these trades and signings are fun, but they rarely work out to build a champion.

Cassel is enough to stop gap the team. you want EJ to win. even if you hate him, you better root for him to get it and mature in his 3rd year. That's how QB development goes. To want to add cutler who has struggled his whole career and only lures you in on potential is the same mistake that we've made in years past. He's a glorified version of that.

I don't want cutler. i get the cassel move since it came cheaper than signing a crappy qb in FA. but we are signing weak options.

the ceiling on this team is losing in the first round of hte playoffs. That is the most this team can accomplish witht he QB's they have and can potentially have. anything higher and the QB's really blossomed. Cutler won't be one to grow. he's always a steady level of mediocre.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Sure, sign him.

Let's go up to the cap adding two QB's and an RB without addressing the OL....
    the bills are damned if they do, damned if they don't . Either ways, you'll ***** no matter what they do or don't.

3. Post thanked by:

better days (03-06-2015),RandolphDuke (03-06-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    at some point, the bills will have to get back to the idea of building through a draft. all these trades and signings are fun, but they rarely work out to build a champion.

Cassel is enough to stop gap the team. you want EJ to win. even if you hate him, you better root for him to get it and mature in his 3rd year. That's how QB development goes. To want to add cutler who has struggled his whole career and only lures you in on potential is the same mistake that we've made in years past. He's a glorified version of that.

I don't want cutler. i get the cassel move since it came cheaper than signing a crappy qb in FA. but we are signing weak options.

the ceiling on this team is losing in the first round of hte playoffs. That is the most this team can accomplish witht he QB's they have and can potentially have. anything higher and the QB's really blossomed. Cutler won't be one to grow. he's always a steady level of mediocre.
    I agree here. This is eerily similar to Bledsoe and the overpriced defense with Greg Williams at the helm.

With that said Whaley has put an emphasis on youth. McCoy at 26 is a super star and was a great trade IMO. Cassel is a good pickup considering what was out there and supposedly a better fit than Orton in a Roman run offense. I'm fairly confident they won't pick up Cutler.

The Bills went 9-7 with an excellent defense. If we lose Searcy, Spikes, and Hughes this team will be lucky to be 8-8 again. I'm hoping we improe the offense and perserve the defense in 2015 and hopefully get a QB in 2016.

5. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (03-06-2015)

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's a no brainer sign cutler. The only teams who don't have a 20mil contract qb are teams without a starting qb. We are paying a DE 19.5 mil already. 20 mil for a qb is not a big deal and cutler is around 17 and 18 most years. do it!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    I agree here. This is eerily similar to Bledsoe and the overpriced defense with Greg Williams at the helm.

With that said Whaley has put an emphasis on youth. McCoy at 26 is a super star and was a great trade IMO. Cassel is a good pickup considering what was out there and supposedly a better fit than Orton in a Roman run offense. I'm fairly confident they won't pick up Cutler.

The Bills went 9-7 with an excellent defense. If we lose Searcy, Spikes, and Hughes this team will be lucky to be 8-8 again. I'm hoping we improe the offense and perserve the defense in 2015 and hopefully get a QB in 2016.
    Unless the Bills are really confident EJ can win the starting QB job, I think they bring in another QB to compete.

A guy like Locker or Cutler would fit the bill. And they can sign him to a contract that PAYS him without being tied to him if they want to cut him loose in a year or two.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    It's a no brainer sign cutler. The only teams who don't have a 20mil contract qb are teams without a starting qb. We are paying a DE 19.5 mil already. 20 mil for a qb is not a big deal and cutler is around 17 and 18 most years. do it!
    If the Bears cut Cutler, there will be a new contract... & for LESS money than his current contract calls for no doubt.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    If the Bears cut Cutler, there will be a new contract... & for LESS money than his current contract calls for no doubt.
    How much money do you think Cutler would make on the open market?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    How much money do you think Cutler would make on the open market?
    Right now, I would say $10 Mill MAX.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Right now, I would say $10 Mill MAX.
    I think you're underestimating the QB market in today's NFL. I would guess he'd pull in between $12-14 mil per year, some team is going to be willing to go all-in with him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think you're underestimating the QB market in today's NFL. I would guess he'd pull in between $12-14 mil per year, some team is going to be willing to go all-in with him.
    OK, you may be right, but that is still LESS than his present contract calls for.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If he gets released he is going to get picked up quick, that is a no brainer. I can see the Jets making a run at him. He would instantly improve our team.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,299 Times in 13,729 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's too bad that we haven't done that yet. We're 4 days away from free agency and haven't even upgraded our O-line yet...what a travesty.
    1. We've significantly reduced our ability to fix the OL by reducing our avaiable cap AND making our already weak draft position when weaker.
    2. This thread is about the possibility of signing Cutler, which absolutely would kill the rest of our cap space.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BleedinGreenNC View Post
    If he gets released he is going to get picked up quick, that is a no brainer. I can see the Jets making a run at him. He would instantly improve our team.
    Cutler would improve 10-12 teams.

Would he sign with the team that offers him the most money or a team he can WIN with & improve his reputation for a little less money?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    the bills are damned if they do, damned if they don't . Either ways, you'll ***** no matter what they do or don't.
    If they ever do something thats actually a good move, I wont ***** about it. I didn't ***** when they signed Mario, for example.

And again, you're making this about me when it should be about the team and their moves. The team keeps losing, which means they are making bad moves.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

1. We've significantly reduced our ability to fix the OL by reducing our avaiable cap AND making our already weak draft position when weaker.
    2. This thread is about the possibility of signing Cutler, which absolutely would kill the rest of our cap space.
    It's not impossible for us to improve our O-line through the draft. It's also not impossible for us to increase our cap space this year.

Clearly this is a hypothetical but what if we signed Cutler, what's stopping us from releasing Cassel? The fact that he cost us a 5th round pick? Pffft.

They say that you can't judge a draft until 3 years have passed. Well you can't judge an offseason until at least free agency STARTS.

18. Post thanked by:

better days (03-06-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cutler would improve 10-12 teams.

Would he sign with the team that offers him the most money or a team he can WIN with & improve his reputation for a little less money?
    He will do it for the money! Wouldnt you?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd rather that didn't happen. I enjoy seeing Geno behind center.

21. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (03-06-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If they ever do something thats actually a good move, I wont ***** about it. I didn't ***** when they signed Mario, for example.

And again, you're making this about me when it should be about the team and their moves. The team keeps losing, which means they are making bad moves.
    Let me check again, but I don't think the Bills have played any games since they hired Rex.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's not impossible for us to improve our O-line through the draft. It's also not impossible for us to increase our cap space this year.

Clearly this is a hypothetical but what if we signed Cutler, what's stopping us from releasing Cassel? The fact that he cost us a 5th round pick? Pffft.

They say that you can't judge a draft until 3 years have passed. Well you can't judge an offseason until at least free agency STARTS.
    You can judge a team killing their cap without addressing their biggest need before FA even starts, which is what the Bills didn't

- - - Updated - - -

Let me check again, but I don't think the Bills have played any games since they hired Rex.
    Yeah the wait and see approach. That's what people say every off season, and every season the results are the same.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He will do it for the money! Wouldnt you?
    Well, it depends.

If it is for a one year prove it contract or long term.

I would doubt any team offers Cutler a long term contract for GOOD money like he got in Chicago.

I think he will have to take a one year prove it contract & it might make more sense to accept a few less dollars to go to a team where he can prove himself in that year by winning.