What does a digital platform mean for Bills in London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: What does a digital platform mean for Bills in London?

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Yeah well, without net neutrality, Comcast could block the stream for the Bills/Jags game altogether, or throttle it back so slow that it would be unwatchable. People are cutting the cord and using streaming services as a replacement for over the air TV. For companies like Comcast and TW, that cuts into their main business. Since they also control the Internet, something has to stop them from blocking streaming video, especially since they have a monopoly over high speed Internet in many places
    I see your points, Opi. But however hard it is to defend the likes of cable or dish companies, they do expend billions to build infrastructure - which reflects in rates. What a mess it will be, when the internet service in the US is under the "eye" of the Feds and/or your own State's pub. utility commission. And then comes into the discussion of to what extent those arrogant snoots with dictate what is prescribed speech and what is proscribed.

The net neutrality crowd who screamed for their self-centered right to gobble up a bigger slice of the bandwidth pie at the same cost of those who don't are going to learn a lesson about dealing with the devil.

There is nothing wrong with folks paying more for a commodity the more they use it. If I were a "Netflicker" or a streamer, I would expect to pay for my usage just as I would expect to pay more for a rib eye steak than for a frozen burger patty.

What if there was football tix neutrality? One price for any seat - first come, first served?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

Yes. All they'd have to do is find the IP addresses that it's originating from and they could either block it altogther or limit it so stuff coming from that IP can only use a certain percentage of the available bandwidth.

It would be hard to get absolutely everything because it comes from multiple sources, all of which probably use multiple IP's, but it can be done.

Obviously this would only affect Comcast customers, but the ISP has a lot of control over what's allowed on the Internet and how much bandwidth it uses.
      Since it has been alleged that talks between Comcast and Apple fell apart when it was learned that Comcast is/was eveloping a streaming set top box like Apple TV/ Roku... Direc competiton, Why would Comcast allow Apple or even amazon stream now? To keep customers?

After all, Amazon and Apple are stealing "on demand " money.

Google Fibre would skyrocket.

I hope Comcast does this... Please please please... lawmakers would love this move.

Uverse would grab a huge chunk of customers.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
        I see your points, Opi. But however hard it is to defend the likes of cable or dish companies, they do expend billions to build infrastructure - which reflects in rates. What a mess it will be, when the internet service in the US is under the "eye" of the Feds and/or your own State's pub. utility commission. And then comes into the discussion of to what extent those arrogant snoots with dictate what is prescribed speech and what is proscribed.

The net neutrality crowd who screamed for their self-centered right to gobble up a bigger slice of the bandwidth pie at the same cost of those who don't are going to learn a lesson about dealing with the devil.

There is nothing wrong with folks paying more for a commodity the more they use it. If I were a "Netflicker" or a streamer, I would expect to pay for my usage just as I would expect to pay more for a rib eye steak than for a frozen burger patty.

What if there was football tix neutrality? One price for any seat - first come, first served?
        Well if you want to stick with the football tix example, not having net neutrality would mean that all the fans who show up in Bills gear to the game at FedEx field have to fill obstructed view seats first before taking good views from Redskins fans, can only buy from one food/beer vendor and must share one bathroom that only represents 3% of the total toilets in the facility. After all, we can't have Bills fans creating lines that slow down Redskins fans.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

I think you're assuming that the current internet providers are doing their best and couldn't afford to do better. That's far from the case. The thing is, people are absolutely willing to pay for better internet speeds. Look at Google Fiber. Can you explain how they're able to get users to pay $70 per month for internet? It's because it's the best internet you can buy. Google charges $70 per month for gigabit ethernet (both download AND upload) and gives away their basic internet for free. The free plan is 5Mbit download, 1Mbit upload. People are praying that Google Fiber comes to their city and are willing to cough up the money.

To take your restaurant neutrality example... It's more like everyone is perfectly happy eating overpriced Spam, meanwhile somebody comes along and demands a reasonably priced steak. It's not his fault everyone else is satisfied with garbage.

The world is advancing, and the internet in the US is not. Screw Time Warner and Comcast, they're garbage.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sukie View Post
            Since it has been alleged that talks between Comcast and Apple fell apart when it was learned that Comcast is/was eveloping a streaming set top box like Apple TV/ Roku... Direc competiton, Why would Comcast allow Apple or even amazon stream now? To keep customers?

After all, Amazon and Apple are stealing "on demand " money.

Google Fibre would skyrocket.

I hope Comcast does this... Please please please... lawmakers would love this move.

Uverse would grab a huge chunk of customers.
            The main reasons would be to not piss off customers in places that have U verse or FiOS, but more importantly, they are given favored status as the only cable provider in their territories. If they pissed off enough customers and those customers complained to the politicians, you'd see competitors laying cable in no time.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Well if you want to stick with the football tix example, not having net neutrality would mean that all the fans who show up in Bills gear to the game at FedEx field have to fill obstructed view seats first before taking good views from Redskins fans, can only buy from one food/beer vendor and must share one bathroom that only represents 3% of the total toilets in the facility. After all, we can't have Bills fans creating lines that slow down Redskins fans.
              Not at all. not even close. All tickets are equal. There is no impediment to those who wear Bills' garb from showing up early enough to take the prime seats. I am not getting your vendor/toilet angle.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                Victimizing The Victimizer
                • Aug 2012

The stream will fine,And should not lag at all. Who the hell is going to be up at 9:30 am on a Sunday looking for an internet stream of the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars game.

Comment

• sukie
                  Seriously?
                  • Sep 2012

The main reasons would be to not piss off customers in places that have U verse or FiOS, but more importantly, they are given favored status as the only cable provider in their territories. If they pissed off enough customers and those customers complained to the politicians, you'd see competitors laying cable in no time.

"Huh huh.. you said "Laying Cable"... huh huh."

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Not at all. not even close. All tickets are equal. There is no impediment to those who wear Bills' garb from showing up early enough to take the prime seats. I am not getting your vendor/toilet angle.
                    Without net neutrality, companies can do things like limiting streaming video to a certain percentage of the available bandwidth. So, the undesirable Bills fans will be forced to use only 3% of the toilets just like the undesired Internet traffic that competes with Comcast's TV service can be limited to 3% of the bandwidth. Meanwhile, the remaining 97% of the toilets go to Redskins fans, just like the remaining 97% of bandwidth can go to Internet traffic that makes Comcast money, or at the very least doesn't compete with their other services.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post
                      The stream will fine,And should not lag at all. Who the hell is going to be up at 9:30 am on a Sunday looking for an internet stream of the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars game.
                      I'd ask how many users there are around the globe, that have never, ever seen an NFL game, and will log on if only for the sheer novelty of it.

Comment

• sukie
                        Seriously?
                        • Sep 2012

I'd ask how many users there are around the globe, that have never, ever seen an NFL game, and will log on if only for the sheer novelty of it.
                        Millions pissed that the QB sack didn't result in a "red card".

Comment

• RandolphDuke
                          • Sep 2008

I use the NFL official stream to watch every bills game.

Some info:
                          1. Subscriptions to the NFL streams are already available to anyone outside of North America. They filter for IP address and credit card billing addresses.
                          2. The quality is very good. The refresh rate seems to be slower than broadcast TV, but it's still very good.
                          3. Bandwidth likely will not be an issue. Until this year, the NFL stream let every subscriber watch 4 games simultaneously.
                          4. The interface is easy to use and allows you to pause, rewind, etc.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Without net neutrality, companies can do things like limiting streaming video to a certain percentage of the available bandwidth. So, the undesirable Bills fans will be forced to use only 3% of the toilets just like the undesired Internet traffic that competes with Comcast's TV service can be limited to 3% of the bandwidth. Meanwhile, the remaining 97% of the toilets go to Redskins fans, just like the remaining 97% of bandwidth can go to Internet traffic that makes Comcast money, or at the very least doesn't compete with their other services.
                            There is no such thing as an undesirable NFL fan. Long before cable and internet and satellite dish, pro sports - the NFL in this case, has lured customers like sheep to slaughter. Sports is one of the few business endeavors where you can wipe your feet off in the face of your customers, and inexplicably, they always come back begging for more.

I now know I erred in mentioning the NFL as an example. The innate, cultivated idolatry opened me up to straw man argument aplenty. But I'll toss a straw man right back at you: How can it be that the NFL is limited to the so-called "Gang of 32"?

Don't they (also) have a territorial monopoly? Should their offerings be subject to government regulation? How dare they charge more for the same product in WAS than they do in BUF?
                            Last edited by stuckincincy; 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                              Victimizing The Victimizer
                              • Aug 2012

Very few...

Comment

• OpIv37
                                Acid Douching Asswipe
                                • Sep 2002

There is no such thing as an undesirable NFL fan. Long before cable and internet and satellite dish, pro sports - the NFL in this case, has lured customers like sheep to slaughter. Sports is one of the few business endeavors where you can wipe your feet off in the face of your customers, and inexplicably, they always come back begging for more.

I now know I erred in mentioning the NFL as an example. The innate, cultivated idolatry opened me up to straw man argument aplenty. But I'll toss a straw man right back at you: How can it be that the NFL is limited to the so-called "Gang of 32"?

Don't they (also) have a territorial monopoly? Should their offerings be subject to government regulation? How dare they charge more for the same product in WAS than they do in BUF?
                                The NFL absolutely is a monopoly and they are granted a specific anti-trust exemption by Congress that can be revoked at any time. In fact, Schumer is on the committee that controls it in the Senate,and some people speculated that he could threaten revoking the NFL's anti-trust status if the league tried to move out of Buffalo (after all, they are the only NFL team that actually plays in NYS).

I don't know if Schumer actually played that card but it is a very real situation and its how the NFL gets away with being a monopoly.
                                MiKiDo Facebook
                                MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                                X