What does a digital platform mean for Bills in London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: What does a digital platform mean for Bills in London?

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Yes - terrible they are. No disagreement - I have T-W cable.

However, here is my view of net neutrality - via analogies:

There is a parking lot with 100 spaces. To get in, you put a dollar in the slot, a gate lifts, and in you go. A display is there, saying if the lot is full, or how many spaces are left. When you leave, the display decrements. Along comes one of those big stretch limos. Pops the dollar in. Then parks 90 deg., spanning nine parking slots. It took up 9 spaces but only paid for one. A car pulls up, display says too bad -all full. It's parking lot neutrality.
    It's always somewhat mistaken to analogize digital goods to tangible ones, but the parking lot analogy is a decent one that would benefit from expansion.

Let's assume that in downtown Analogyville, company A owns the best parking lot. If you don't park there, two miles away is a free for all of street parking and other budget solutions. In a parking space neutrality situation, it doesn't matter what make of car you arrive in, the cost is the same and you are allowed entry. Now, admittedly you may wind up with some jackwagon abusing this situation like your limo driver above. So the city abandons parking lot neutrality and lets the companies fend for themselves.

Company A then decides that car manufacturers that pay them a premium get a guaranteed space downtown whenever they want it. In the event that the lot is full, they will find another manufacturer's car and tow it. Manufacturer X is big and established, so they can afford this premium. Manufacturer Y is newer and more innovative, but doesn't have the startup capital to pay it.

So what happens? Imagine you are a business owner and deciding what car to buy. Car X is more expensive because it has the guaranteed parking spaces. Car Y might be better suited to your needs, but you are a business man. You need to get to clients, and if your car gets towed then you are totally screwed. If you park two miles away and have to spend 20-30 minutes walking each way to your car you are at a huge disadvantage to your competitors. So now you have to buy from X, paying more for the car so X can cover the cost of the premium paid to A. Manufacturer Y starts losing business and is unable to compete in the market. In the "best" scenario, X purchases Y and incorporates Y's ideas into their own cars. In the worst case, Y simply folds and takes their innovation to the grave. Investors who were thinking of creating car company Z recognize that without the startup capital to pay A's premium, they can't survive in the market and the company never forms.

So what you wind up with is one parking lot company, one car company, and both of them charging consumers extra because of their consolidated monopoly power.

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
    I now know I erred in mentioning the NFL as an example. The innate, cultivated idolatry opened me up to straw man argument aplenty. But I'll toss a straw man right back at you: How can it be that the NFL is limited to the so-called "Gang of 32"?

Don't they (also) have a territorial monopoly? Should their offerings be subject to government regulation?
    How dare they charge more for the same product in WAS than they do in BUF?
    The NFL has been sued on all three of those grounds and lost each time. First, Al Davis sued the NFL for blocking his move to Los Angeles and won, so the team moved in the 1980s. Second, the USFL sued on antitrust grounds and they too won, however the damages were so small that the league folded anyway. When the XFL formed, they were able to use some NFL venues as a result of that suit. And American Needle sued because the NFL awarded an exclusive hat contract to New Era (pretty close to the hypothetical situation above actually) and the NFL lost at the Supreme Court 9-0.

The NFL, legally, is on some shaky ground. However, nothing will actually happen about it because challenging them involves billions and billions in upfront costs.

Exactly like the big telecom companies.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
      It's always somewhat mistaken to analogize digital goods to tangible ones, but the parking lot analogy is a decent one that would benefit from expansion.

Let's assume that in downtown Analogyville, company A owns the best parking lot. If you don't park there, two miles away is a free for all of street parking and other budget solutions. In a parking space neutrality situation, it doesn't matter what make of car you arrive in, the cost is the same and you are allowed entry. Now, admittedly you may wind up with some jackwagon abusing this situation like your limo driver above. So the city abandons parking lot neutrality and lets the companies fend for themselves.

Company A then decides that car manufacturers that pay them a premium get a guaranteed space downtown whenever they want it. In the event that the lot is full, they will find another manufacturer's car and tow it. Manufacturer X is big and established, so they can afford this premium. Manufacturer Y is newer and more innovative, but doesn't have the startup capital to pay it.

So what happens? Imagine you are a business owner and deciding what car to buy. Car X is more expensive because it has the guaranteed parking spaces. Car Y might be better suited to your needs, but you are a business man. You need to get to clients, and if your car gets towed then you are totally screwed. If you park two miles away and have to spend 20-30 minutes walking each way to your car you are at a huge disadvantage to your competitors. So now you have to buy from X, paying more for the car so X can cover the cost of the premium paid to A. Manufacturer Y starts losing business and is unable to compete in the market. In the "best" scenario, X purchases Y and incorporates Y's ideas into their own cars. In the worst case, Y simply folds and takes their innovation to the grave. Investors who were thinking of creating car company Z recognize that without the startup capital to pay A's premium, they can't survive in the market and the company never forms.

So what you wind up with is one parking lot company, one car company, and both of them charging consumers extra because of their consolidated monopoly power.

The NFL has been sued on all three of those grounds and lost each time. First, Al Davis sued the NFL for blocking his move to Los Angeles and won, so the team moved in the 1980s. Second, the USFL sued on antitrust grounds and they too won, however the damages were so small that the league folded anyway. When the XFL formed, they were able to use some NFL venues as a result of that suit. And American Needle sued because the NFL awarded an exclusive hat contract to New Era (pretty close to the hypothetical situation above actually) and the NFL lost at the Supreme Court 9-0.

The NFL, legally, is on some shaky ground. However, nothing will actually happen about it because challenging them involves billions and billions in upfront costs.

Exactly like the big telecom companies.
      cincy just got pwnd.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        cincy just got pwnd.
        Not quite. cincy doesn't care to type incessantly.

1. net neuties take bandwidth from others and don't care. If someone else in a diner got twice the food for the same price, they would squeal and claim "unfair!"
        2. cincy stated he is no friend of cable companies.
        3. cincy wondered about how companies that invested billions in infrastructure now may see that go down the toilet.
        4. most importantly, cincy worries about the mindset that thinks that government control over the internet is ok as long as folks can get their content gloming off of others.
        5. cincy has one foot and the grave and knows that the "me" generation is happily trotting into state control of any aspect of their life.
        6. cincy knows how to take the broad view but gets forced into offering up simplistic analogies, realizing that "me" generation can't grasp broad concepts, but must find this or that phase or clause, not to investigate, to expand upon others' thoughts, but to make it a personal contest, get a victory, to see another "pwnd", as you say.
        7. cincy believes in brevity.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DesertFox24
          • Jul 2005

I pay for Sunday ticket and I hope Direct TV will allow us to stream the game on either their APP or sunday ticket subscribers can get access to the bills game. At this point though we are just speculating.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

I pity the fools that live on the West Coast, regardless.

If this game is not broadcast in recordable ways, they'll have to watch the game at 6:30 in the morning. Who the hell wants to do that?

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Move back to Buffalo.

Problem solved.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Well, a bit of good news, I heard last night that the game will be free to stream.

I still would have rather watched it OTA on network TV.

I heard the NFL is going to put together a package in the future of 6-8 games to sell for streaming, those games could be pay per view, depending on who buys the package.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

No doubt trying to reach the "Poor schleps who have to work on Sunday" demographic, lol.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

I live in nevada. Getting up at 0630 on the weekend is not a problem. My alarm is my six and three year old oh and my two dogs.

Actually this will be awesome because at 1000 I can go off and do what ever else I want or watch the other games and just chill.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as it is free I can easily hook up to tv so no problem there

Comment

• mightysimi
                      Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                      • Mar 2010

Game pass has been going for a few years. This isn't the first attempt at streaming.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                        Game pass has been going for a few years. This isn't the first attempt at streaming.
                        This is the first time the stream is the ONLY OPTION to watch an NFL game.

Comment

• mightysimi
                          Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          This is the first time the stream is the ONLY OPTION to watch an NFL game.
                          Local TV in Buffalo and Jax is carrying it. So not the only option.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            You did and I didn't believe you, because I never thought the NFL would be so dumb. I overestimated them again.
                            Is it dumb because you don't like it or because you don't think it will work?
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

If it makes money then good for the league.

If the argument is they are worried about ratings for TV then that's crap. College football has had games on around 9am that were being played in Europe for the past three years. Fans loved it because they got to watch football as opposed to the pregame show. Granted ESPN's College Gameday is a really good show compared to the crapfest that Sunday Countdown.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                                Local TV in Buffalo and Jax is carrying it. So not the only option.
                                The only option for 99.9% of the country.

Comment

Working...
                                X