X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

March Madness: #8 Robert James vs #9 Bob Kalsu (POLL CLOSED)

#Bills March Madness Day 5: Poll 4 (4 of 4 Today): #8 Robert James vs #9 Bob Kalsu
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

Re: March Madness: #3 Sam Cowart vs #14 Ernie Warlick

Career Highlights
      Following four years of duty serving our country, Warlick spent four more with the Calgary Stampeders. He was named a CFL All-Star in 1958, 1959 and 1960 and was one of the league's best players during that time. His American Football career started much later than most as he was 30 years old when he signed with the Bills in 1962. His addition helped give the Bills a quality receiving option and a very good blocker in the running game. At a time when the tight end position didn't produce big numbers or earn the respect that other positions got, Warlick was one of the best, maybe even the best, tight ends in the AFL.
      Warlick's "rookie" season ended up being one of the best in team history for a TE. He wound up leading the team with 35 receptions, finished third on the team with 482 yards and added a pair of touchdowns. Considering the team completed just 150 passes that year, his receiving numbers were excellent. Warlick was part of a blocking unit that lead the way for Cookie Gilchrist to achieve the first 1000 yard rushing season in franchise history, to go with 13 touchdowns. The Bills lead the AFL in rushing that year with 2,480 yards (in 14 games). For comparison's sake, the 2008 Bills rushed for 1,842 yards and only the Giants surpassed the 1962 Bills' total with 2,518 yards. Warlick's addition (as well as Gilchrist's) really helped solidify a strong running game for the Bills. He was named to the AFL All-Star team, along with six other Bills.

Warlick proved to be a downfield threat for the Bills offense during the 1963 season. He finished the year third on the team with 479 yards and 24 receptions for a ridiculous 20 yards per reception. For a tight end, that's amazing. Again, the Bills had a strong rushing offense, finishing second in the AFL for the year. The team made the playoffs for the first time that season losing to the Patriots in the Divisional Round. Warlick had 3 receptions for 33 yards in the loss. Once again, Warlick was named to the AFL All-Star team with six other Bills.

TE Ernie Warlick, from the Bills AFL days, comes in at No. 35 on the Top 50 Bills of All-Time list.

#35 on the top 50 all time Bills list is pretty impressive.

Comment

• sukie
        Seriously?
        • Sep 2012

Re: March Madness: #4 Andre Reed vs #13 Jim Richter

Ouch... Love them both... Went with Reed.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Re: March Madness: #8 Robert James vs #9 Bob Kalsu

As much as Kalsu is revered for his service in the Vietnam War, he only played a year here.

Robert James defined the bump and run.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

4 seed for Reed while Aaron Schobel got a 3 seed?

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

Re: March Madness: #3 Sam Cowart vs #14 Ernie Warlick

Sam Cowart was better than Ray Lewis the year he won the defensive MVP and super bowl. It's too bad injuries ruined his career. He would have been a really special player. Just a real shame.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Re: March Madness: #8 Robert James vs #9 Bob Kalsu

It got to the point that nobody threw balls James' way.
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Re: March Madness:#2 Kyle Williams vs #15 Nate Clements

Williams.

Clements was a fine player, long career, helped several teams, switched to safety with his last club, and helped them.

But good DT trumps good CB.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

Richter not getting the respect he deserves... But Reed is the correct choice.

Comment

• The King
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                      4 seed for Reed while Aaron Schobel got a 3 seed?
                      different brackets.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                        Williams.

Clements was a fine player, long career, helped several teams, switched to safety with his last club, and helped them.

But good DT trumps good CB.
                        I wish someone told dick jauron and Marv levy that when he decided donte whither was a better pick than haloti ngata. And to some of you who are nitpicking smartasses.. I know Whitner was a safety.... Same concept though.

but back to the point of the thread.... I couldn't agree with you more. Kyle was way more important than clements
                        I came.
                        I saw.
                        I conquered.

Comment

• jimmifli
                          • Nov 2006

sukie can't work a mouse.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                            I wish someone told dick jauron and Marv levy that when he decided donte whither was a better pick than haloti ngata. And to some of you who are nitpicking smartasses.. I know Whitner was a safety.... Same concept though.

but back to the point of the thread.... I couldn't agree with you more. Kyle was way more important than clements
                            Then there was Mularkey/Donohue in 2004.

At the #13 spot, they select WR Lee Evans. DT Vince Wilfork was available.

Comment

• The King
                              • Jun 2004

March Madness: #6 Cornelius Bennett vs #11 Shane Conlan (POLL CLOSED)

#Bills March Madness Day 6: Poll 1 (1 of 4 Today): #6 Cornelius Bennett vs #11 Shane Conlan
                              It was all

Comment

• The King
                                • Jun 2004

March Madness: #1 Fred Jackson vs #16 Wade Phillips (POLL CLOSED)

#Bills March Madness Day 6: Poll 2 (2 of 4 Today): #1 Fred Jackson vs #16 Wade Phillips
                                It was all

Comment

Working...
                                X