Thread: A rule change (again) thanks to NE's actions

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A rule change (again) thanks to NE's actions

No more putting ineligible receivers in the slot position.

NFL bans practice of lining up ineligible WRs in slot
    By Dan Hanzus Around the NFL Writer Published: March 25, 2015 at 01:07 p.m. Updated: March 26, 2015 at 12:28 p.m.

..."UPDATE: In a move that will make Baltimore fans happy, NFL owners passed Wednesday the rule proposal making the practice of players declaring themselves ineligible and then lining up in the slot illegal. Players reporting ineligible must line up in the tackle box. The Patriots used that tactic to much success in a divisional playoff win over the Ravens this past January."...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...le-wrs-in-slot
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A rule change (again) thanks to NE's actions

Not that I think it's a big deal one way or the other, but changing this rule is bogus. The rule shouldn't be a problem if everyone understands it.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Honestly, I don't have a problem with what NE did because it was within the rules.

It's like the old onside kick rule where the team would get to re-kick after a 5 yard penalty if the ball didn't go 10 yards, or the 2 min delay of game penalty for shooting the puck out of bounds in the defensive zone in the NHL. They're ****ty rules, but teams take advantage of them all the time.

4. Post thanked by:

Meathead (03-26-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

yep

if anybody can find a hole in the rules then i encourage them to hammer on that to their advantage until the league made a change. THATS being competitively creative. as much as i hate that fat cheating douchebag i have to applaud that particular move

this ѕhit the cheaters have pulled with recording hand signals and secretly deflating balls that only they use are a completely different story. they blatantly cheated for the last whatever number of years since marcia got them to change the rules, including the first seventeen games of this 'championship' season. even the 84 bills might have won a superbowl if they somehow found themselves magically transported into one. that title, just like the other three, should have a big fat asterisk next to it. that obviously wont ever happen
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

6. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-26-2015)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Honestly, I don't have a problem with what NE did because it was within the rules.
    Nor do I. Just a posting for edification.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's a good rule change, but the Patriots* should still be sanctioned. I believe a team is suppose to give the NFL a few day's head's up if it intends to use unusual formations during the course of a game. However in typical Belicheat fashion, he told officials on the field right before the game.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    It's a good rule change, but the Patriots* should still be sanctioned. I believe a team is suppose to give the NFL a few day's head's up if it intends to use unusual formations during the course of a game. However in typical Belicheat fashion, he told officials on the field right before the game.
    The fact that they have to give notice even though what they plan to do is within the rules is ridiculous. As much as I hate New England, I don't fault them for what they did. The refs should be better trained to handle these situations.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Do they have to give the league notice? Or do teams do it for their own benefit so they don't get flagged for something legal because the refs get confused by something they aren't used to seeing?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Do they have to give the league notice? Or do teams do it for their own benefit so they don't get flagged for something legal because the refs get confused by something they aren't used to seeing?
    A while back after the Ravens/Patriots* game I read something that teams need to give the office a head's up if they plan to use unusual formations during a game. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find that article now though.

It makes sense that the league would do this as it protects both teams and keeps the flow of the game going. If a play is legal, then the refs won't be caught off-guard and penalize a team for something they think is illegal. Likewise, an illegal play would be recognized immediately and flagged. I think it's good a good practice because it allows teams to be creative, keeps the flow of the game going, and doesn't ruin the element of suprise since the other team isn't told about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm all for closing loopholes.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS