Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sabre Fans Disgrace Themselves Last Night

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabre Fans Disgrace Themselves Last Night

Speaking via email to The Buffalo News, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the league had no specific comments on Thursday night's overtime loss to Arizona as questions continue to surround the way both teams have been sliding down the stretch to angle for the top spot in the league's draft lottery. Buffalo fans openly cheered for all four Arizona goals in the Coyotes' 4-3 win.
    "This entire story and angle is overblown and exaggerated. I am quite certain that there was not a single participant in last night's contest that wasn't trying to win the game," Daly wrote. "The fact that fans may be looking longer term and bigger picture is not surprising, and ultimately, is really up to them.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    I'm not impressed. I only hope you care as much about the Sabres when they're winning as you do about them now. Otherwise all of the attention you've paid them over the past few months would be a bit of a sham.
    I unblocked FloFlo to read his imbecillic nonsense. Wow. A guy who is allegedly from the Bronx, who now allegedly lives in Florida, who spends DOZENS of hours every day on a BUFFALO message board.

The word "Pathetic" has a new definition.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Keep digging Harrington...you moron, NO even better isn't MLB season and the Bisons starting soon? WHY DON'T YOU GO COVER THE BISONS and MLB WHICH THE NEWS HIRED YOU TO DO AND STOP GOING AFTER THE SABRES!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 6,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Losing is winning so let's hope this current streak continues .... at least for now.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

SpikedLemonade

...It was exceedingly weird to an observer, and for some Sabres players, the fan reactions were annoying. Defenseman Mike Weber called it "a whole new low."

"I've always spoken extremely high of our fans. I don't even know if disappointed is the word. They score that first one, our fans are cheering. Late penalty, they cheer. They cheer when they score to win the game. I don't even know what to say. This is extremely frustrating for us. We don't want to be here. We understand where we are. We understand what this team's doing, what the organization's doing, the place we've put ourselves in. But I've never been a part of something like that, where the away team comes into a home building, and they're cheering for them. Again, I respect our fans, I love our fans, I show up to work everyday to whatever I can for them, and to play hard for them and my teammates. Again, obviously I've never seen that before. I don't know what else to say.

"This is two years in a row now. Physically, mentally, this is...this sucks. To compound things, you have your home fans cheering against you, kinda. Again, I've never been a part of that, obviously, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger I guess, but this is a whole new low right now."

Weber's frustration is entirely understandable: players don't tank, front offices do.....
    Last edited by Haile SpikedLemonade; 03-27-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What a cluster**** professional sports has become for Buffalo in such a short period of time. An extended tank, topped off with 'fans' openly cheering for an opposing team on home ice hoping for a loss. Add to that a new football head coach that is a carnival barker and likes to take baths with his assistants. Embarrassing. Pretty sad when current events lend one to look back on 15 years of ****ing mediocrity as the closest thing we have to be proud of.

I feel bad for the players, one of them needs to stand up and tell the 'fans' to **** off.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    ...It was exceedingly weird to an observer, and for some Sabres players, the fan reactions were annoying. Defenseman Mike Weber called it "a whole new low."

"I've always spoken extremely high of our fans. I don't even know if disappointed is the word. They score that first one, our fans are cheering. Late penalty, they cheer. They cheer when they score to win the game. I don't even know what to say. This is extremely frustrating for us. We don't want to be here. We understand where we are. We understand what this team's doing, what the organization's doing, the place we've put ourselves in. But I've never been a part of something like that, where the away team comes into a home building, and they're cheering for them. Again, I respect our fans, I love our fans, I show up to work everyday to whatever I can for them, and to play hard for them and my teammates. Again, obviously I've never seen that before. I don't know what else to say.

"This is two years in a row now. Physically, mentally, this is...this sucks. To compound things, you have your home fans cheering against you, kinda. Again, I've never been a part of that, obviously, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger I guess, but this is a whole new low right now."

Weber's frustration is entirely understandable: players don't tank, front offices do.....
    Well he will be part of it again Monday. I expect the same from coyote fans. Any smart fan wants to lose at this point.

As for Weber? I love the fans? I Show up to work to do whatever I can for them? Please. Players don't give a crap about fans. He shows up for the paycheck!

that slimey ass of an admin at the zone Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,563 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Meh

10. Post thanked by:

Skooby (03-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    What a cluster**** professional sports has become for Buffalo in such a short period of time. An extended tank, topped off with 'fans' openly cheering for an opposing team on home ice hoping for a loss. Add to that a new football head coach that is a carnival barker and likes to take baths with his assistants. Embarrassing. Pretty sad when current events lend one to look back on 15 years of ****ing mediocrity as the closest thing we have to be proud of.

I feel bad for the players, one of them needs to stand up and tell the 'fans' to **** off.
    Players need to play hard and work, they don't get paid to be friends with the fans but work on the ice.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A few weeks ago, I went to the 6-1 shellacking by the Caps in DC. Before the game, I knew there was a possibility that it would get out of hand, and I told myself I would sarcastically cheer with the Caps "fans" if it happened.

But when it happened, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I understand that losses help us now. I understand that goal differential and goals scored are tiebreakwrs, and doing worse will be good in the long term. I understand that the future depends on us getting our share of McEichel. But in the moment, it still felt like ****.

13. Post thanked by:

chernobylwraiths (03-31-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Howard Simon understands tanking

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    A few weeks ago, I went to the 6-1 shellacking by the Caps in DC. Before the game, I knew there was a possibility that it would get out of hand, and I told myself I would sarcastically cheer with the Caps "fans" if it happened.

But when it happened, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I understand that losses help us now. I understand that goal differential and goals scored are tiebreakwrs, and doing worse will be good in the long term. I understand that the future depends on us getting our share of McEichel. But in the moment, it still felt like ****.
    You've been watching the Bills flop in **** for years getting close to getting a QB for the team and the Sabres are on the verge of getting a real leader, yet you don't feel good?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

http://m.thn.com/blog/when-this-much...ng-for-losses/

Ken Campbell is for the sabres fans cheering the loss

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    You've been watching the Bills flop in **** for years getting close to getting a QB for the team and the Sabres are on the verge of getting a real leader, yet you don't feel good?
    Yeah well I was in that arena after the 02-03 lockout when entire sections of the stadium were empty. A city 5x the size of Buffalo could barely manage 13k fans. We are having an historically bad season and are still at 97% capacity. I can't stand those Johnny-come-lately poseurs who don't know jack **** about hockey celebrating at our expense.

18. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (03-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Yeah well I was in that arena after the 02-03 lockout when entire sections of the stadium were empty. A city 5x the size of Buffalo could barely manage 13k fans. We are having an historically bad season and are still at 97% capacity. I can't stand those Johnny-come-lately poseurs who don't know jack **** about hockey celebrating at our expense.
    Regardless, I've spent a good part of the 80's partaking in a lot of BS and I can tell you that anyone that thinks hoping for a negative event for a positive event is a tough road to travel. If they set up for the Sabres to not currently perform well then it's their choice and not mine, I only hope for our future success. Right now, the Sabres suck and need major help. It will come from the draft and youth in place if it's going to happen, most likely a mix of both.

Anyone debating on the worst teams in the NHL should simply look at the standings, we currently look terrible.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As far as the fans cheering the opposition....openly....yes, I think that is a problem and frankly shows little class. Yes, I get the "big picture" , but the players aren't tanking. The tank is managements doing. I hate to see our players publically embarrased on our own ice. Sports is a microcasm of business today in general. Ever notice how a place goes out of business, but the CEO has a $ 5 million golden parachute? Except in this case the parachute is McDavid or Eichel.

As for Spikes 2 yr tank plan. Umm, whose plan? Considering management changes. Did Darcy whisper it in Murray's ear? Or did Murray have his own ideas about building a team? Rolston give Nolan tips? Doubtful. Different management, different ideas....simply nonsense about a 2 yr tank, but yes, I know your here to just stir the pot.

Flo? I get the pot stirring bit, but c'mon....the bruins are still on the outside looking in. Ottawa and Florida playing better....Chara on one leg with a contract never to be unloaded, and a few other bad contracts. Lucky if they make round 2. ( ya, ya you can comment that at least you made the playoffs, but that and a $1.40 gets you a cup of coffee...)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

From one of the comments to the article jamjam...

Good luck to you.
    Honestly, as a Leaf fan, I'm envious. Tank, baby, tank, don't be mediocre, one day be great.

22. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (03-28-2015),Skooby (03-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by snow1989 View Post
    As far as the fans cheering the opposition....openly....yes, I think that is a problem and frankly shows little class. Yes, I get the "big picture" , but the players aren't tanking. The tank is managements doing. I hate to see our players publically embarrased on our own ice. Sports is a microcasm of business today in general. Ever notice how a place goes out of business, but the CEO has a $ 5 million golden parachute? Except in this case the parachute is McDavid or Eichel.

As for Spikes 2 yr tank plan. Umm, whose plan? Considering management changes. Did Darcy whisper it in Murray's ear? Or did Murray have his own ideas about building a team? Rolston give Nolan tips? Doubtful. Different management, different ideas....simply nonsense about a 2 yr tank, but yes, I know your here to just stir the pot.

Flo? I get the pot stirring bit, but c'mon....the bruins are still on the outside looking in. Ottawa and Florida playing better....Chara on one leg with a contract never to be unloaded, and a few other bad contracts. Lucky if they make round 2. ( ya, ya you can comment that at least you made the playoffs, but that and a $1.40 gets you a cup of coffee...)
    Flo is a Ranger's fan dumbass.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by snow1989 View Post
    As far as the fans cheering the opposition....openly....yes, I think that is a problem and frankly shows little class. Yes, I get the "big picture" , but the players aren't tanking. The tank is managements doing. I hate to see our players publically embarrased on our own ice.
    I don't know. The fans who are "openly rooting" for the other teams are not doing so with anger at the Sabres. It's not like they're screaming or swearing at or even booing the Sabres, as often happens in other buildings, like Leafs fans pouring scorn on their own Captain.

Sabres fans who tape Coyotes logos over their the crest of their Sabres jerseys are trying to have a little fun. They're not angry at the team or the players. We've suffered through one of the worst seasons by any franchise in NHL history, yet we still fill the building and still have a sense of humor and optimism.

Our patience will be rewarded.

25. Post thanked by:

ICRockets (03-28-2015)