Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a QB need to come from a pro system?

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Does a QB need to come from a pro system?

I'm a big fan of Bryce Petty. In a write-up on Petty I found this interesting:

"Whitfield said the latter is sort of a silly case to prove. According to his research, 74 percent of NFL snaps in 2014-15 came with the quarterback in shotgun formation. Only the Baltimore Ravens' Joe Flacco, he said, took the bulk of his snaps under center."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...baylor-pro-day

Throwing from the shotgun is only one aspect. Going through progressions is another. Petty needs to be able to read defenses.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Does a QB need to come from a pro system?

Does a QB need to come from a pro system?
    YES

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Here's an article kind of related to this subject:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...fenses_ar.html

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whitfield is obviously pimping his boy, I certainly hope he understands there is more to a 'pro system' then taking snaps from under center.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think if a QB can only thrive in a set environment I.E. under center or shotgun style, they are not elite. So if a OB is considered elite and has only played shotgun in college he should be able to adjust in the pros. Just saying.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Does a QB need to come from a pro system? No.

But two things:
    1. QB's who come from pro systems are less of a gamble for the drafting team because they've already shown they can play in a pro system. Qb's who aren't from pro systems can show all the physical tools but teams don't k is if they have the brains for the pro system. It's a risky pick.
    2. A qb who isn't from a pro system is going to have a steeper learning curve and take longer to develop.

7. Post thanked by:

better days (03-31-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

But two things:
    1. QB's who come from pro systems are less of a gamble for the drafting team because they've already shown they can play in a pro system. Qb's who aren't from pro systems can show all the physical tools but teams don't k is if they have the brains for the pro system. It's a risky pick.
    2. A qb who isn't from a pro system is going to have a steeper learning curve and take longer to develop.
    Stating the obvious I realize, but, being from a pro-system is no guarantee of success.

I think there are lot's of factors. Some seem to carry more weight than others... Years of college experience in a big time conference reading defenses seems like a significant factor is being successful. But didn't EJ Manuel have that? 43 games in a big time program reading defenses?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...-manuel-1.html

It's a crapshoot. Really tough to get it right. There are very very few Lucks. After that you really struggle to find a sure fire qualification list.

Is it possible that if a player has all the physical skills... arm strength, accuracy, dexterity, athleticism... and has the desire and mental aptitude to quickly and effectively learn an all new method of quarterbacking that he could be successful? I think the key would be the ability to "get it". Manuel, with everything going in his favor, hasn't shown fully that he "gets it". Maybe he never will. Yet maybe Petty (for example), with having to learn to read defenses and with little experience doing it, can take his god given talent, hopefully show the aptitude and drive to learn and "get it".

On the surface it would seem to be a bigger climb. Or is it less about experience and more about ability to adapt and quickly excel? Especially considering the jump from college to the pro's is such a huge on in the first place...

To extend it further, is the jump from college to the pro's so great that no amount of prior experience in any setting makes it sure fire or even likely to succeed?

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He doesn't need to be... but it seems few can make the switch from 1 read and run, which is the norm at most colleges. They've never been contained to a pocket by a Defense.

Then comes the fine line of poise vs. panic. Most select the later. They never learn to read the Safety or short zone LB.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

for me the answer is...yes

I'm tired f these jokers coming out of spread offenses. We're from Western NY. We're not running a spread here. I'd like to see us start to build a real blueprint of what we want our team to be and draft players to fit it. At QB I'm looking for someone that's physically and mentally tough. I'd like us to look like a combo of the Bears and the Steelers when both were good. Does that scream "spread QB" to you? I'm thinking no.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    for me the answer is...yes

I'm tired f these jokers coming out of spread offenses. We're from Western NY. We're not running a spread here. I'd like to see us start to build a real blueprint of what we want our team to be and draft players to fit it. At QB I'm looking for someone that's physically and mentally tough. I'd like us to look like a combo of the Bears and the Steelers when both were good. Does that scream "spread QB" to you? I'm thinking no.
    The Gailey offense here was mostly a spread. And 74% of the NFL snaps were from the shotgun last year? Very surprising if true.

Roman wont run a spread. Although he had success with Kap who came from a spread (Pistol) at Nevada.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

But two things:
    I guess that's what I'm saying, if they don't have the brains they're not elite.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    I think the key would be the ability to "get it".
    Same here.

The changes in the college game, all the rule changes in the NFL make it difficult for me to evaluate QBs as before. Our poster Night Train puts it well - poise.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Same here.

The changes in the college game, all the rule changes in the NFL make it difficult for me to evaluate QBs as before. Our poster Night Train puts it well - poise.
    Yeah, poise, mental markup, pocket presence, progressions, reading defenses, decision making... pick your term. It's really all in the ability to do what the QB should do and find and deliver the ball to the open guys or not throw it when it will result in an INT.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    The Gailey offense here was mostly a spread. And 74% of the NFL snaps were from the shotgun last year? Very surprising if true.

Roman wont run a spread. Although he had success with Kap who came from a spread (Pistol) at Nevada.
    You're right. I guess I'm too old school. I don't like the game as much now as I used to. What I'd like to see probably won't happen, maybe wouldn't work any more.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    You're right. I guess I'm too old school. I don't like the game as much now as I used to. What I'd like to see probably won't happen, maybe wouldn't work any more.
    Well, I am excited to see Romans offense.

The Bills will run the ball, but they will be creative with the run game as well as the pass game.

The offense will be nothing like last years SIMPLE offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is no such thing as a pro system vs a college system.

The NFL utilizes majority of snaps in shotgun, read option and spread now.

This is no longer 1985 where this discussion even mattered.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Very few colleges run a true pro style system and going further very few high school quarterbacks have run a pro style system with the popularity of the 7on7 summer leagues

If you're only looking for pro style guys it may be a long wait

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why Greg Roman's Play-Calling Is Holding Back the San Francisco 49ers

Hard to fathom before the season that the San Francisco 49ersoffense would look so inept, especially with the NFL’s best collection of offensive linemen, a superhuman tight end, one of the league’s last remaining feature backs and primo auxiliary weapons peppered all around.Minus Michael Crabtree, the 49ers still have all those things on offense, but this bungling unit continues to struggle—far more than it rightfully should be, even when you extend it the leeway of not having its No. 1 wideout.

What Bleacher Report’s NFC West lead writer Tyson Langland astutely pointed out is that after 10 games played, the Niners offense is averaging fewer yards per game than Kellen Clemens and the St. Louis Rams. In fact, only Baltimore, Miami and Jacksonville have worse numbers in that category, and they carry a combined record of 10-20 so far in 2013.

Narrowing down where it really gets mucky, look no further than their 32nd-ranked passing offense.

They remain dead last in that area, which has most influenced their inability to sustain drives and score points. So, with this bottom-dwelling standing and seeing other teams around the league do more with less, one has to call into question the direction the offense is under.

Why haven’t the 49ers been able to adjust and compensate, using what they do have? This has led many to point the finger at the team’s offensive coordinator, Greg Roman, who was originally Jim Harbaugh’s right-hand man from Stanford.

All calls do go through head coach Jim Harbaugh, but it is incumbent upon Roman to develop and execute a proper game plan, while adjusting during the game. In a recent live chat, 49ers reporter MattMaiocco of CSN Bay Area provided some clarity on the chain of command:

Greg Roman talks to the other coaches between series and comes up with a list of plays. He gives Harbaugh the play call on the sideline. Then, Harbaugh sends the call into Kaepernick. Harbaugh is the gate-keeper.

While Harbaugh approves, he does not select.

Therefore, if the plays that are coming in are not working on the field, it still starts with Roman. If Harbaugh has to axe one of the calls and the Niners take a delay of game, it is still on Roman. If they don’t have enough clock to change the play and are forced to roll with a bad call, that’s on Roman.

At the end of the day, the onus is on him to make this unit work, and clearly it hasn’t been. Having said that, it is time to take a close look at the areas that Greg Roman has been exposed as the orchestrator of the San Francisco offense.
    Ryan Riddle @Ryan_RiddleFollow
    Greg Roman going from top HC candidate to thin ice as #49ers OC.
    6:23 PM - 17 Nov 2013

Last edited by swiper; 03-31-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't get it. How does this have any impact on who we should look at as a QB?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    There is no such thing as a pro system vs a college system.

The NFL utilizes majority of snaps in shotgun, read option and spread now.

This is no longer 1985 where this discussion even mattered.
    The hit on a guy like Petty is that he hasn't run a pro style offense. Are you saying it doesn't matter?

Petty ran a 1 read offense. I like Petty but I can't ignore the importance of reading defenses.

22. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (04-01-2015)